Character Selection - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Character Selection

Alright, so... I've got a pretty idea of what each unit is for, etc, but I can't seem to find anything similar for characters. The only ones I see consistently are Alters. What are good builds for Highborns? Nobles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

You see a lot of people pick Alters because they are just so darned flexible. They get a massive movement boost as well as an additional attack. Give him/her the right equipment, and you can not only overcome the restriction from joining units, but you can make this model into anything you need it to be, from the ultimate ranged sniper (e.g., Bow of Loren + Arcane Bodkins) to a close combat beast (e.g., great weapon + amber pendant) to a hybrid of both (e.g., helm of the hunt + hail of doom arrow). Give the Alter a briarsheath for extra protection, and you've gone a long way to minimizing his ability to get sniped from range, no matter what role you want it to fill.

Obviously, you get a lot of that capability without paying for the Alter kindred, but in most people's opinions (mine included), being unable to join units is a very small price to pay for what that kindred brings.

Beyond that, you have to ask what you want your Hero to do. For example, I'm a big fan of Wild Riders, and I almost always take a Wild Rider Noble with a Dawnspear to virtually guarantee a charging strike that will break the unit I hit. That kind of power and consistency is worth the investment of a Hero to me.

The other kindreds you don't see too often because in most people's opinions they don't bring a lot to the table. Is a Wardancer Kindred really all that necessary? Most people think Wardancers work just fine as is. But if they need support, why not have an Alter do it, if only because you have the choice, at game-time, of where that Alter is actually most needed. Similar rationales follow for the other kindreds, too.

You could splurge and mount a highborn on a Dragon for pure Intimidation Factor. (And perhaps a truly nasty close combat unit, too, of course.)

You could mount a Hero on a great eagle, kit it out with a mix of equipment and make it a flexible all-around support unit.

These latter choices are relatively rare because, especially in the case of the dragon-mounted highborn, the points add up in a hurry. The WE army is an army of expensive elites. This is especially true for the Lords and Heroes. Points are precious, so your options here need to be weighed carefully. You get a lot of bang for the buck, but you can also sacrifice too much of our limited resilience if you're not careful.

Don't forget to check out the Wood Elf Tactica here on LO. It's an excellent source of ideas and even sample builds.
    Last edited by number6; September 11th, 2008 at 16:41.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my thoughts

Highborn: Mainly taken for either making EG core, Machine Gun Alter or Dragon Rider. I think they could also do well as WD or WR with the right kit.

Noble: Mainly taken as an Alter, WD or WR noble or BSB, sometimes people using EG will take one with a GW and Amber Pendant as protection for their EG.

Personally ive only tried the standard alter and a machine gun highborn, the alter noble is useful for getting high str attacks with a GW but having to run around on its own is a set back especially if your newer and dont know how to hid him from missile fire well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wardancer noble really spice up your unit of wardancers : they are all S3 (S4 on charge). Adding 4 to 5 S4 attacks (S5 on charge) adds the combat resolution to hold at least one turn! Wild riders make excellent generals : basic saves, MR(1), I. to Psych... They can have great equipment and the great stags makes a very powerfull mount.
    Alter kindreds are all what was said earlier.
    The other kindreds are not very good : eternal, waywatcher, scout,... bad compromise

Moonstone of Hidden ways is a great item, its easy to back charge a unit with fast cav unit with that item.

Railarian55

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Try checking out the Wood Elf Tactica. Link in my sig. It has a lot of info on the different character types and some builds you may wish to consider.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what about Highborns vs Spellweavers? What does everyone pick and why?

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I never go without some kinda mage, for at least being a scroll caddy. No matter what army I will take a mage of a mage be it lord or hero.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I agree. I think at least one dispel scroll caddy is required. I'm starting to think that two might be necessary! There's just too much potent magic floating around these days.

This really bothers me on a couple of fronts. For starters, it's about the most expensive one in the game. 140 pts just to carry two dispel scrolls around?! That really, really hurts. And on top of that you lose a hero slot! ... yet still have to pay through the nose just for barely minimal competence! Ick.

The hero options -- not to mention models -- are so very appealing to me, that being forced by circumstances to be limited in this realm sticks in my craw.

I dislike any army that has one of two things: a unit or unit combo that is "so good" that you pretty much have to take it all the time. Just as bad is a weakness that is so profound that you must always cover for it in pretty much the same way. WEs used to feel a lot more open than it does in the wake of the recently released army books.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WE are no good at magic defense. The alternative is to take down the wizards the sooner with a sniper combo or pay the full price for a spellweaver w/ wand of whych elm (that is very expansive, yet very good. the problem is that you need a lord to have it).

I would have liked the WE were able to have multiple radiants. 25pts per Dispel dice that can only be on a branchwraith or ancient is not irrational!

Railarian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

WE characters are fun to play around with. Alters are good, except when it comes to facing shooting/magicky armies. Then alters have a short life span. Wardancer and Wild Rider characters are fun. Scout nobles are cheap and effective for delivering the HoDA. The only one I really avoid is the Waywatcher. Well, that and glamourweaves, only because I've never tried.

Anyhow, my point is this: try different ones out and see what you like. Some will work, some won't. Just give them all a fair shot for a few games.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; September 18th, 2008 at 20:04.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. September 15th, 2008, 17:26