Game Report - What I realized... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Game Report - What I realized...

We suck at magic. No, maybe better put, we're simply out gunned.

I've played two heavy magic lists the last two times (first game was fine, the second one was a slaughter). I fought 6th ED Chaos the first time, second time was Empire. They just had so many casters and bound spells, I was just out matched. I even took a "magic" heavy list the second time myself (I only had a caddy the first time around, but no caddy the second time). He also took 3 cannons for his force, so he completely diminished ability to maneuver too.

Here's what I've conclude...
    • First, there's no point for us to go heavy magic, its point sink. Best thing to do is just take a scroll caddy at around 2000pts and down, two for above. Simply to counter those special spells that threaten to wiped the floor with you.
    • We need new magic BAD. But that's self-evident.
    • We should probably only focus on Highborns and Noble builds. Only.
    I've decide to probably just play lower point games, since we do better at them. I am sick of dealing with uber magic lords or insanely armor ones. If anything, All our combat chars should cast spells as minor casters (let me finish) to compensate for not the lack of armor and strength in combat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though we suck at magic, I still think we have some of the best ways of dealing with it!
    What can a wizard do to an 18" charging Alter killing machine of death? Not a lot, especially if you keep him hidden until the opportune moment. My last game against TK (magic heavy) was a slaughter thanks to my Alter noble jumping a priest on the 2nd turn and duffing him up (while the wild riders crumbled the rest of the unit) and then sacrificing himself to charge and kill the Heirophant. Easily worth it, and it really hurt my opponant to have lost 2 main magic users (one of which then made the rest of the army crumble) in 3 turns.

The only magic users we struggle with are Vamps IMO. Everything else falls prey to our ridiculous speed!
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x3)

true... except we can't pick out those mages with range with the except of a few items. again we can only have so many alters too, and getting to those mages isn't always easy when you have warmachines bearing down on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think we need new magic. IMO we arent meant to be a magic heavy army, just because alot of the new armies can be magic heavy doesnt mean our list now has too. We could use a small boost to our magic defense but thats all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rather like the lore of athel loren. That aside, yes, we are a bit weak in the magic department. But we more then make up for it in many other things. You have to use what you have. Every other army is lacking in something, we just happen to be magic. I'm sure plenty of people have gotten by and beaten diffrent magic heavy armies.

Besides, Who doesnt like a challenge?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Yeah we do have to have a weakness. We have great shooting, excellent movement, and some decent combat units. Magic is the bane of our army. What would be the point of magic if every army could negate it. VC would be useless. I think they overdid the new daemons but other than that, I think we are fine. Lowering the cost so we could field a few more units would go a long way to helping us against these armies.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft005 View Post

Here's what I've conclude...
    • First, there's no point for us to go heavy magic, its point sink. Best thing to do is just take a scroll caddy at around 2000pts and down, two for above. Simply to counter those special spells that threaten to wiped the floor with you.

This is why most WE players take a scroll caddy and a branchwraith with the cluster of radients. It gives us 5 DD and 2 DS.
    • We need new magic BAD. But that's self-evident.

Our magic isn't bad, but it is complimentary. It works well in conjuction with the rest of our list but cannot force people to use their scrolls like some destructive lists can. So when we really need to cast a certain spell, our opponent will still have several scrolls left to deal with it. The trouble is that a Wood Elf spellsinger is half again the cost of an empire caster and only has access to one lore. A few tweaks in the lists available and cost will make it more effective.

• We should probably only focus on Highborns and Noble builds. Only.

Can't agree with this. Branchwraiths and Ancients and Spellcasters are still very important considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by ajay29 View Post
    What can a wizard do to an 18" charging Alter killing machine of death?
    If the cast is by itself then it deserves to die. However, most will be in units then it is a simple matter of issuing a challenge with the unit champion. The Alter cannot refuse, no back rank, and static combat resolution should take care of the rest.

We do have ways to kill casters but any player worth their salt will target those units quite quickly.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

I will stubbornly use my Treeman Ancient and array of spellsingers

If nothing else then the sheer amount of treesinging will drive my opponent up the wall. If they keep dispelling it then unleash some spites on them!

I'm still trying to obtain the fourth Spellsinger, it was everywhere before I deliberately set out to buy it months ago. I don't want to give in and order it online yet though, wouldn't be as satisfying as tracking down the little bugger.

Our magic may not be too powerful, but by the gods it's fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

I think a lot of players underestimate the power of Wood Elf magic - particularly when playing against it. That's its key strength. It's often difficult even for us Wood Elf players to see the use of our magic sometimes, which itself can make opponents start scratching their heads wondering what we're up to.

Personally, the only thing I don't like about it is that only a Spellweaver can take other Lores than Athel Loren. Apart from that, I think it's balanced, fair and useful. Let's face it, with the ability to move and shoot with no penalty, the raft of special rules that most units get, Alter Kindreds, Treemen, Wardancers and all the rest, it doesn't make or break the army. On the other hand, Vampire Counts without magic are like fish without gills...

Granted it doesn't dish out the pain or give your enemy any real cause for concern - except when you have lots of Treesinging, like 8people said. Worth taking just for that, I reckon.

GS
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x3)

I like Athel Lore. I guess I shoulda been more clear, sorry. I meant arcane items and bound spells (bound spells should be 4, at the very least). That was my original thought. The lore is completely fine, since in encompasses aspects of life and beast.

I still stand that we get out gunned in magic, in terms of being able actually cast it. Most armies have ways to store dice (probably my least favorite type of item...) aka VC, LM, EM, and who knows else.

Probably just pissed that I faces 4 bound spells a turn plus 6 spell dice. COME ON, enough to break any player... Talk about wearing me down... I felt like a broken man after that Cleansing Fire popped...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast