Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
On saturday im going to play a cheesy VC army that uses two fighting vampires and a lvl 3 vampire lord with forbiddenlore, that thing that gives you 2 PD and +1 to cast and maybe some more magic boost..... He casts like 9 1-dice-raise each turn and have a couple of bound spells....
How the **** can i defent myself against this?
If he uses a corpsecart with lodestone w/ a Necro on it, take out the necro on it first. Next question, do you use a dryad/tree army or a Elfy army?
The Dryad army will get obliterated outright, as the magical attacks will leave the dryads helpless.
The most effective strat here is to gunshot for his Vampire Lord. Magic Vampires like this one have little to no save, and a treekin/treant should be able to smash him to death. It's worth it to sacrifice points to kill his Vampire Lord, because crumble will take effect and will let you harass him to death with no recourse.
Best way is to kill their casters. If they havent taken the immune to KB bloodline/Item this makes it alot easier. Try get your WD's to charge the unit his vamps are in and take the KB dance, you should be able to target the vamp with 2 or 3 WD increasing your chance of getting a 6 and removing those annoying bunker vamps. WD heroes are definatly not a bad idea.
I usually avoid challenging the bunker vamps myself since they always just accept with the champ and then beat you via static res.
Simple fact is your not going to be able to kill enough (unless your somehow obliterating multiple units) since any unit you focus on needs to wiped out in 1 turn or he'll raise them all back up again.
Your other option is to go magic defence heavy with a lvl 4 with the Wand and one or 2 lvl 2's.
Ignore the combat vampires to begin with, and cut off the head. I'd like to quote myself from a thread I posted in yesterday (about Tomb Kings, though the principle still applies - just swap "Heirophant" for "Vampire Lord"):
"Use a tag-team of two Alter Kindreds to chase his Heirophant. It works as follows:
He'll probably put the bugger in a ranked unit. No problemo. Charge the unit with both Alters and make sure that at least one of them is in base-to-base contact with the Heirophant. Issue a challenge with one of the Alters (if only one of them can attack the Heirophant, make sure you issue the challenge with the one that can't attack the Heirophant). Regardless of who he accepts with (if at all), you should always end up in a position where at least one of your Alters can allocate attacks on the unprotected Heirophant. Even if your Alters both die, you've killed your opponent's most important model. Worth the price, in my book."
Make the Alter that you intend to hit the Vampire Lord with into an Alter Highborn and you should be okay.
It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)
If he does what like i think he will bring two big groups of skeletons with one fighting vampire each. The both fighting vampires will have the same 50p vamp power... reroll misses in CC and 1 to combat res.
He will have his Lord behind those joined with 10 ghouls.... and will make 9 3+ raise each turn.... so its no option to be able to dispell it all....that would cost me 12DD (if he fails a third of them....18 if not).... even if i use BW with radients, a lvl 3 and two lvl 1 i only get 8 DD so the only option i can se is to kill his vamp lord....but how is this possible if he doesnt **** up?
Just to make it clear: Since we play 2250 he will have more units than this...maybe 2 groups of wolves, Graveguards, Wraights, Blood Knights, fellbats and maybe more.
First im going to say that I dont play WE. I play VC, DE, and just recently got into WoC so I cant offer you too much advice on how to build your army. But there are a couple of things I think you need to consider
1. WE are one of the most slippery armies to play against. You guys have some great skermishers and some of the best shooters. But your armour is garbage. VC have some of the best block troops and tarpits in the game today because they can get into combat and not care if they loose because they will be there long enough to raise them all back and then some, so play to your strength.
2. Watch yourself when it comes to your movement. VC may seem slow but one of the "Necromancer" spells (a spell he can cast more than once with the same caster) is one that will let them move 8in giving them a charge in the magic phase and then cast it on them again to let them make one attack per model. Make sure that you dont get to comfortable because you set up your troops in some trees and out of his inital charge range.
3. He is going to beat you out in the magic phase, thats going to be a fact for the first couple turns. Even with only 9 dice and a couple bound spells he can pick that raise spell and keep throwing dice at it until he powers it through.
4. Consider taking ether some way watchers or some eagles. Treemen are tough in combat but im willing to bet he'll single out that almost 300 point treeman and tie it up with 100 points of zombie tar pit. Thats what I would look to do. Way Watchers put close to his general are going to force him to keep his main vampire in a unit or risk being killed by there killing blow arrows. If this works and he is dose leave his general in a unit some war dancers charging the vamp lords unit and throwing there own killing blow on him could break his army.
5. Hail of Doom Arrow is a must have item from what I know of WE so make sure that you use it wisely by picking off one of his smaller units instead of blasting down his blocks of guys. If he's running some Carin Wraths that can only be hurt by magic attacks a well placed hail of doom arrow is going to score you and easy 150 points if not more.
Last edited by chaospantz; November 21st, 2008 at 11:24.
Against VC, I try to eliminate characters. That will reduce the magic phase and net you points. Then I play for small enemy units, table quarters, banners if I'm lucky and look for a narrow victory. VC is really tough, but if he's running that much magic, then his lord doesn't have a lot of defense. YOu could try and get lucky with a Wardancer character with blades of loec.
I would use some Alter kindred tactic as suggested but give the highborn the Spear of Twilight and hope for killing blow. And if you pull it off all you need to do is let the Alters tear apart his remaining characters.