What is the best alter configuration? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best alter configuration?

Hi, I would like to know what the best alter configuration is, in you opinion? (both nobles and highborns).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Challenge murderer

spear of twilight
    annoyance of netlings
    stone of crystal mere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a noble i would go for hail of doom arrow and helm of the hunt with a great weapon, use the arrow to:
    1 soften up big targets that you want to destroy
    2 destroy lightly armoured units such as fast cavalry
    3 force lots of panic checks
    with his great movement you can use him to get at warmachine crews and at a pinch take on missile troops. His movement can also get 5 strength 6 attacks where you need them most, and will most likely turn a dubious combat in your favour.

hope this helps
    thanduil
    He who controls the past, commands the future,

He who commands the future, conquers the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Light Armour, Great Weapon, Shield, Helm of The Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow, 158 Points.

This guy's a multi-purpose troobleshooter. With his HoDA he can soften up light infantry units or fast cav quite nicely, then go after war machines and wizards. He's also very useful for march-blocking.

Once his HoDA is gone, use him to support a Wild Rider or Wardancer unit - he can't join them but he can hang around nearby and add some juicy punch to an important combat.

He can do so much stuff, he's the first thing that goes in to a list, and he gets used in every army I put on the table.

V.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Noble: Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt, LA, Shield, GW (the standard for a good reason)
    Highborn: Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Glamourweave, Enchanted Shield, LA, GW

That would be my 2.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anybody tried an Alter Kindred without a magic bow/arrows?

I've never tried him in a game before, but would this work against monsters, cav units, chariots etc

Lord Alter Kindred with;
    amber pendant
    helm of the hunt
    annoyance of nettles

lvl 4 spellweaver and cast bears anger on him (take a GW incase it doesn't work)

but if the spell is cast (casts on 4+) he has WS8, 9 attacks at str6, and ASF against anything. He could probably take out a cavalry unit, charge 18" as well Fairly good vampire lord assassin, if you can combine a flank attack with his charge/challenge

or possibly go for a noble version
    Last edited by waylander2; December 14th, 2008 at 18:00.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

the standard HODA and HOTH i use regularly.
    Sword of might and annoyance of netlines might also be viable.

I was discussing with someone that the bow of loren and starfire arrows on a lord may also be a good choice, as he will likely be causing a panic check each turn.

I'm not sure about using the spear of twilight as Str 4 isn't very strong, and if you don't roll any 6's the str 4 isn't a great thing to fall back on. i leave that spear for wildrider characters, as they can get the +1 str on the charge for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

One that I have a bit of success with against some opponents is this:
    Noble
    Amber Pendant
    Briarsheath
    GW

Once he's done with warmachines, he goes on to take on smaller units (often ranged troopers). If he fails to break them first round, he still has the Pendant to fall back on.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by waylander2 View Post
    Has anybody tried an Alter Kindred without a magic bow/arrows?

I've never tried him in a game before, but would this work against monsters, cav units, chariots etc

Lord Alter Kindred with;
    amber pendant
    helm of the hunt
    annoyance of nettles

lvl 4 spellweaver and cast bears anger on him (take a GW incase it doesn't work)

but if the spell is cast (casts on 4+) he has WS8, 9 attacks at str6, and ASF against anything. He could probably take out a cavalry unit, charge 18" as well Fairly good vampire lord assassin, if you can combine a flank attack with his charge/challenge

or possibly go for a noble version
    the problem with this is that bear's anger is so easy to dispel and magic is not our strength.

The only problem I've had with the usual combo (HotH, HoDA) is that I always flub my to hit rolls and/or you have to expose the alter to get a charge off (leaving him defenseless against magic missiles. Our magic defense has gotten much worse in the new edition. I usually spring for stone of crystal mere on my alter just to keep him alive.

+ Reply to Thread