Magic Support Query - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic Support Query

In the interest of providing my army greater support in the magic phase, I was wondering if it was possible to include Dogs of War Hireling Wizard Lords or Hireling Wizards as rare choices in a Wood Elf Army. Counter to what I would assume, I think it's possible. The Dogs of War list states:

"...Armies from Ravening Hordes or the Warhammer Armies books can field units from the Dogs of War list. In general, they are included in the lists as a Rare choice. In addition, the following restrictions apply:

...Wood Elves...can field any unit from the Dogs of War army list except for Dwarfs."

Since it's stated nowhere which units in specific can be taken as rare choices (in Part I of the list; i.e., the non-regiments-of-renown list), it seems possible.

Is this true? Is this fair? Is the Dogs of War list even accepted (anymore)?

Any help in this is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has come up already and I just missed it.

Thanks,

Ike

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

You can include dogs of war in your list unless the rules for a specific event say you can't. But the character you are listing would take up character slots, not rare slots.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

Does that mean I could use a Hero or Lord lot to purchase a scroll caddy for 30-40 points less? Is there any limit to the number of Heroes and Lords I can ally so long as I have the requisite General from the parent Wood Elves list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds a little beardy too me imo. Plus you lose the Athel Loren Lore.

Technically you can do it, but some people (Like myself) will feel its dodgey.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

If you want to do it then go for it, just be aware that some tournaments have restrictions on DoW units and it may be something to consider.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't really go with the fluff... I would steer clear of taking hirling wizards in any army apart from maybe Brettonians if I were you... Will get some funny looks. Do you really want to wreck the feel of your entire army by introducing this movement 4 vagabond of a hired wizard!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardy_Wierdy View Post
    Claymore equipped guard? Dont be absurd. They are getting frag grenades and six feet of string instead.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

really the albion mages are the only DoW character types you can add to your list. They take up a rare and a hero slot.

Let's face it, Lore of Athel Loren is not going to be missed that much depending on the list. The usual branchwraith with cluster and lvl 1 scroll caddy didn't add much to the magic phase any way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I certainly would agree that hireling wizards would indeed be out of place in an army as xenophobic as Wood Elves. Ordinarily, at least.

I was thinking of creating an army comprised of mostly (possibly exclusively) Asrai with DoW units with the theme of one of the warrior kindred forces sent by Ariel to pre-emptively defend Loren against the rise of Chaos, esp. Beastmen. I was thinking I'd have them on a mission of indeterminate lenth that has gone on long enough to force them to recruit/rely on non-Wood Elves forces, represented by Dogs of War units/characters.

I understand how taking a DoW wizard to boost magical defence might be construed as beardy or as a leg up that violates the integrity of a Wood Elves army, but thought that, in this case, such a decision would be construed otherwise. My interest is not in taking DoW characters to boost effectiveness, but character.

In the end, I might not go for this approach; I just wanted to see how legal it was and how to go about creating an army with non-WE characters. I must admit though, I did have incentive to consider magical support first .

Thanks for all the feedback.

+ Reply to Thread