Stand and shoot or run like hell? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stand and shoot or run like hell?

Hi I would like to know what you guys find to be the best tactic when your GG eventually get charged. I know a lot of factors play in: the chaging unit GG unit size ex.
    But when and why do you prefere to stand and shoot those str4 arrows, and when do you run?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Like you said, it depends on a lot of factors.

Distance from the board edge. If I suspect I'll hit the edge or fail a Rally test next turn, I'd rather bring a few of them down with me.

Size of the enemy unit. Panic checks are awesome. In fact, even just reducing an enemy unit can be useful enough.

How well I think I'll do in combat. GG are surprisingly good in cc I find. Static CRes tends to be a killer, but statwise, they're better than you'd think. They have a decent chance against that unit of Fast Cav that's trying to rush your Archers.

The distance of the charging unit. If they're too close, I obviously can't Stand and Shoot. And I'd be a bit skeptical about shooting Pegasus Knights if I thought they were too far away.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

right on, other questions I ask myself
    Am I being charged by chaos knights or a T4 HE chariot with 2 wounds on it?
    Do I have the high ground or a rank?
    Do I have anything in position to counter-charge?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

My decisions for this situation are only determined by one factor, and that is where I think the enemy would be best positioned. If I flee, they may fail their charge, and be in oneplace. If I Stand and Shoot, they will make it their full charge range, and then likely an additional 2/3d6 further. Either can be used for setting up a flank/rear charge, but the latter could be good aswell, since they will likely be so far behind my battle "line" that it wll take them at least 2 turns to get back into trouble, thought that 120 point unit isn't always worth that.

Another related factor is whatI have around the archers, and if they will be able to prevent my opponent from doing the exact same thing in the next turn.

whether they can win in combat or not is never a question I ask myself, but I will agree with farseer in that they can surprize you. I once got charged by one of the scouting vampires, thinking the archers were a tasty snack. and they were, three whole turns later. (it took him 5 rounds of combat to break them)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you stand and shoot, do you also get a mele attack back after theirs from the charge?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ200 View Post
    if you stand and shoot, do you also get a mele attack back after theirs from the charge?
    If you are lucky and have any left in HtH combat.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good i thought so. so, if someone charges your treeman, can one shoot with his artillery dice attack and then mele after them (if hes still up, which i assume he would be)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most certainly you can strike back even if you used a stand and shoot with the treeman .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love GG stand and shoot... the buggers are so accurate! I pity t3 troops coming after my archers really.. the other day a single unit of GG took a 300pt unit of bloodletters out of a game (got half points, but no damage from them other then a GG unit) in a tournament.

I wish to echo those above me who have suggested, it is all about positioning.. Probably the best thing about our archers is they are half decent at all 3 options.. s&s if possible, if not just CC on a hill & if it is beneficial... even if my unit will run off the board... Flee!
    [2000] Orks [2000] Tau,
    [1500]SM [2250] WHFB Chaos

+ Reply to Thread