Bases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bases

What do you guys use for covering your bases?

I've had friends that cover the bases with kitty litter which is great and all (for difficulty, cost, and looks) but that doesn't look all that wood elfy. So what are you guy's using? Static Grass? Model Flock? Bellybutton lint and crazy glue?
    I know that there are a number of guides available on a large range of different methods and products employed but I want to know from the people actually basing a hundred or so models what they prefer or what they think looks the best first hand.

Any productive input is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Sand I got from Walmart for like 3 dollars.

I also found a nifty way of painting the bases. Just put the color you want in a small platic tub with quite a bit of water and maybe some black, dip the base in over and over until it leaves as opaque a layer as you want it to, then paint the rest of the model, highlight the base, throw on some static grass/flock. Ta-da.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by archonofdeath View Post
    Sand I got from Walmart for like 3 dollars.

I also found a nifty way of painting the bases. Just put the color you want in a small platic tub with quite a bit of water and maybe some black, dip the base in over and over until it leaves as opaque a layer as you want it to, then paint the rest of the model, highlight the base, throw on some static grass/flock. Ta-da.
    So your using sand and static grass or flock?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I think the best you can do are these:

FRP GAMES - Your Hobby Gaming Source

That said, they are expensive and the price will add up reaaaaally quickly for any kind of sizable force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swarmofseals View Post
    I think the best you can do are these:

FRP GAMES - Your Hobby Gaming Source

That said, they are expensive and the price will add up reaaaaally quickly for any kind of sizable force.
    Yeah I've seen that and they look great but your right... they would add up quick at roughly $1 a base. Google searches show much of the same, but I'm looking for more DIY things that you guys are using. Like I've soaked Kleenex or cotton swab pieces in 'Krazy' glue and let it dry to make a very strong bond for broken pieces, filling gaps, or just making some paint-able moss textures on a model.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I bought the Micro Arts Studio bases (the ones on FRP) directly from MAS. They look great. For my new WoC army, I'm using Back 2 Base ix (worst company name ever). They're significantly cheaper and they have forest bases, too.

Back 2 Base-ix Wargaming Products: Resin Scenic Bases for your miniatures.

Otherwise, you can put down some fine ballast to create a base. Let it dry. Put static grass and a mix of dried herbs from your kitchen. Mix some seeds and leafy herbs together, glue them over the ballast, and drybrush once dry for added color. That and the static grass along with the occasional sprue bit look nice.

Also... http://www.skullcrafts.com/
    Last edited by DavidWC09; April 8th, 2009 at 01:12.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnitude View Post
    So your using sand and static grass or flock?
    Yup. If I could find somewhere to buy flock I would be using it. Right now I have Glade Grass and that dying grass stuff. Sand on base, prime model, paint sand and model, do all the highlights and what have you, glue in some static grass. If I had flock I would probably be using it too.
    A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick. - Mary Wilson Little

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Look in the Spice Aisle of your local supermarket. Some of the mixed spices sprinkled on the base make it look like a forest floor.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 (x4)

I suppose you could always go out, get a leaf, crumble it up, coat it in something, and then glue it on your bases. Fall color forest floors.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    Look in the Spice Aisle of your local supermarket. Some of the mixed spices sprinkled on the base make it look like a forest floor.
    that could really make you hungry as well, depending onthe scent.

although it may not be as important for WE, I really depend on my guys being magnetized, so I usually use regular bases with magnets over the pre-formed bases. The WE sprues actually have some branches and things that with some flock and such are fairly woody. Plus, I don't want to have to paint my army and my bases, flocking looks great, realistic and is quicker than painting. A little highlighting here and there is about all I'll do for a base.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast