Librarium Online Forums banner

Sick of Space Marines, time for some bow toting Elves :D.

516 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  fulgur 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I'm a bit over 40K so I've decided to start myself a WHFB Army. I was thinking Wood Elves would be the go and after a bit of reading, here's what I've come up with. No specific opponents in mind, any help would me much appreciated!

Wood Elf Noble -75pt-
Alter Kindred -25pt-
HoDA -30pt-
Helm Of The Hunt -20pt-
Great Weapon -4pt-
Light Armour -2pt-
Shield -2pt-
Total -158pt-

Spellsinger -90pt-
Level 2 -35pt-
Total -125pt-

10 Glade Guard -120pt-

10 Glade Guard -120pt-

8 Dryads -96pt-

8 Dryads -96pt-

Treeman -285pt-

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, welcome to FB and glad to have another wood elves player in the world :dance: .
And now on the army list, the first thing you should think about is how do you want you're army to play, offense or defense, magic heavy or not, fast or slow, that kind of things. This is especially important with wood elves (which are quite expensive and fragile.) You're army list are two different lists smashed together, with the glade guard and spellsinger as defense, and the alter and dryads as offense. The problem you will be finding is that you want to get as fast as possible in combat with the dryads and alter (otherwise they will be shot down) and as late as possible with the glade guard (gives you more chance to shoot the enemy to bits.)

So if you want a defense list I would recommend to switch the alter for a noble on warhawk with hail of doom for marchblokking, and switch a unit dryads for another 10 glade guard. As for the treeman, I am not sure if you really need him in 1000 pts defense, so I would recommend to switch him for waywatchers or another mage.

On the other hand if you want to play offensively you're list is pretty much written, as only the glade guard are in the wrong place. I would change them for a unit wardancers with noble, or wild riders with noble. If you want to use archers, then use scouts, they are really annoying for the enemy and they can do allmost everything. (If you want to have more information about them I've written a tactic with some stuff in it http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/wood-elves/160205-wood-elves-tactic-crumble-battleline.html :clap: )

And good luck with you're army!

#3 ·
I disagree with Kamikaza on a few points.

For one, disagree with the idea that you need to get your alter and dryads into combat as quickly as possible in order to protect them from shooting. Keep them out of line of sight or in cover and at long range.

Also, I disagree with the idea that you should focus your army exclusively on offense or defense. I don't think the wood elves are likely to be very successful as a true offense army. You don't want to be attacking a defensive enemy on his terms -- your units are too fragile to stand up to that kind of combat. At the same time, a defensive army can be successful... but you can make offensive units a key part of a defensive plan.

I think either way you play, wood elves need to use movement and shooting to force the opponent into an undesirable position where you can isolate his units and take them down. You can't just charge your guys into four blocks of heavy infantry and hope to win. You have to force them into positions where you can gang up on each of those four blocks individually.

So you use defensive and shooting units like glade riders and glade guard to force your opponent to fight on your terms, and then you use your offensive units like dryads, wardancers, and wild riders to destroy the isolated threats.

#4 ·
I agree with swarm also. You need a balanced list that can deal with all sorts of opponents. Wood elves excel in the movement phase, with both types of units. You win by outmaneuvering your opponent and setting up advantageous combats and whittling down his units with shooting. I think concentrating entirely on one or the other isn't a great way to win.

SirKently

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips guys :D. Having had another look at it, the Treeman seems excessive for a 1000pt army. Having said that though, I am assuming that any unit capable of decimating a Treeman would also be quite expensive in a 1000pt army.

If I dropped the Treeman, I would probably take a pair of Great Eagles and a unit of Wild Riders.

Again, all tips and suggested changes would be greatly appreciated. I'll be doing alot of reading over the next day or so aswell, so hopefully I'll be able to answer some of my own questions and stop annoying you fellas :D.

Also, I'm a big fan of the Orion model, what is the general consensus on his usefulness?

#7 ·
I disagree with Kamikaza on a few points.

For one, disagree with the idea that you need to get your alter and dryads into combat as quickly as possible in order to protect them from shooting. Keep them out of line of sight or in cover and at long range.

Also, I disagree with the idea that you should focus your army exclusively on offense or defense. I don't think the wood elves are likely to be very successful as a true offense army. You don't want to be attacking a defensive enemy on his terms -- your units are too fragile to stand up to that kind of combat. At the same time, a defensive army can be successful... but you can make offensive units a key part of a defensive plan.

I think either way you play, wood elves need to use movement and shooting to force the opponent into an undesirable position where you can isolate his units and take them down. You can't just charge your guys into four blocks of heavy infantry and hope to win. You have to force them into positions where you can gang up on each of those four blocks individually.

So you use defensive and shooting units like glade riders and glade guard to force your opponent to fight on your terms, and then you use your offensive units like dryads, wardancers, and wild riders to destroy the isolated threats.
My message may indeed is a little bit to black and white (Well it's a-hell-of-a-lot to black and white :sidefrown: ) But a fact is that you need to choose if you're army is gonna move to the enemy or let the enemy move to you. Our units are just to fragile to do nothing. I agree with swarmofseals that you need a mix of both to have a good solid army, but 50-50 just won't do it, because when you meet an opponent with a gunline or cavalary army you just aren't good enough in anything. So an offensive army (this just means you are more into combat) really needs glade guard, and a defensive army really needs dryads. But not 50-50. Then you'll get two different armies that don't blend together.

#8 ·
I see your point, but I prefer some flexibility in my plan, and I'm willing to sacrifice some matchups to accomplish that. If I have to punt games against pure gunline armies, I am OK with that... those games are boring to play anyway. If you really focus heavily on offense or on defense you will still be sacrificing some matchups.

Also, I really don't think WE can do well with a plan of moving on the enemy or forcing the enemy to come to you. You really have to do both. You need to put enough pressure on the enemy to disrupt his formation, but at the same time you need to commit your units in force to specific areas of the table when the opportunity presents, whether it's technically on your side or on the other guy's side.

Also, wood elf units are by nature more flexible than many other races' offerings. Glade guard, for example, may be designed to make him attack you, but they also move really well (extremely well for archers).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.