Librarium Online Forums banner

Crazy army theme

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  CaptainSarathai 
#1 ·
I have about 1.500 points of tzeentchian daemons painted, been playing with them for a while and now I'm about to start a´new army.

The playstyle of the wood elves has always had a spot in my heart so I thought let's do a wood elven warband.

I looked at my daemons and noticed I have made my horrors from dryads and painted them up in bright colours like purple and pink and blue (duh). Then I had an idea: Why not use them in the forthcoming wood elf army? I toyed around different possibilities on how to adapt them into a wood elf army.

The army isn't actually a wood elf army, kinda like, daemon/vanilla elven army, but with the wood elf armybook as a base. This corrupted spellsinger sucked up the power of a waystone corrupted by tzeentch himself, and turned into a half-daemon! Now she's granted the ability to semi-control/creat different daemons. Her parallel powers have attracted the attention of some renegade elves, soon to find them selves under the allure of the clever spellsinger.

Onto the list: The 'horrors' would obviously use the rules of dryads. They would be the regular type of daemon, howling with horrific voices as they launch themselves at the enemy. Glade guard would be the normal ones, just painted in dark colours. I also had in mind to turn a Nightbringer (necrons 40k) to a treeman, with minor conversion work.
The army would be like this:

Spellsinger

Wardancer noble ( with elven and daemonette bits)

2 units of 10 Glade guard

8 Dryads

Wardancers (Daemonettes ,maybe?)

and the mighty, mighty Treeman (nightbringer)

What do you think? Is it just a ridiculous 'I wish' -idea, or would it have the potential to grow into a very personalized army?

C&C

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Actually, beastmen are corrupted humans, and wouldn't play nearly the same. Furthermore, if he wants to put all this work into the army, he should play an army that stands a chance of claiming victory. The Beastmen are currently a very unfavored army, and we've been hearing that their new book is considerably weak as well. Besides, he's converting for a visual hook. So on to this idea...

Actually, this could (and probably did) happen. During the Sundering, the Elves present in the old world were called back to fight. GW says that those who remained were the WoodElves. But wouldn't there still be people there who are informed as to what was going on beyond? Couldn't it be said that some of them may have sided with Malekith or Morathi and begun fighting while they were still in the Old World? Or it could've been a fall after the Sundering, in which case your fluff would work very very well. Not sure that it could happen in Loren though, since the Forest itself would resist. Maybe something like the Glade of Woe (is that the right name?), a remote forest that falls completely.

I think it would be cool. You could use a Daemon Prince with Orien's stats if you wanted to. DE Wyches would make good wardancers too.

#4 ·
Ok, let's say it was an 'outpost' glade that fell to the corruption of Tzeentch. After the Sundering ofcourse, for it to fit the story. As you might notice I'm not very familiar with the Warhammer lore.

But then again, it would propably be only around 1k points and for friendly games, as I never really took part in tournaments.

But yeah, the Wyches were a good idea, or maybe Witch Elves, I don't know. Still working on it.

Any new ideas are highly appreciated,

Thanks!

#5 ·
Given that you're going to use elves, I think given initiative, movement, and WS the Nightbringer may not be the greatest model to represent a treeman. :(

I tend to think the Captain's got the right idea when he says "use a demon prince with Orions (rules/stats)", but I love the night bringer and think he'd look great in your army!

You could do some cool demonic conversions to get some demon-rider people for Wild Riders in that list.

Converted from seekers or something... Ultimately, it's your call. :)

#7 ·
Here are a few ideas

For Kournous Cavalry, beastmen centigors would lookgood. They even have a evil look to them.

For the treeman, you could try to make a kind of chaos spawn. A "trunk" of putty and spawn parts stuck into it or something like that.

Deamonettes would make great wardancers.

Chaos spawn could be used for treekin.

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Some more research into the realms of chaos and the effect that they have on their land should give you some good ideas. take a look at some of the older chaos books from previous editions (you may be able to find digital copies of the artwork). The way they depect the lands that have been overrun will give you an idea of what Athel-Loren might look like once it starts to turn.

None can resist the touch of chaos, not even the wood elves. I love this idea for a theme, but Personally I wouldn't want to see it go too far into the chaos side of things. (i.e, playing with chaos models and wood elf rules). Different paintjobs and minor converting with greenstuff can probably give you the look you want. Perhaps take the standard wood elf models and give them comparable chaos weapons? For an alter noble, the current one with the great weapon already has a somewhat sinister undertone, adding a mutation of sorts (horns?) and converting the base to look a little more corrupted/dead.

The idea of a turned treeman is a bit of a challange. I would envision the corrupted thing to be thinner, longer, and sharper than the current model of the treeman. how to convert this would take some creativity. . . perhaps useing a treekin and dryad bits to create something entirely different?

Alot of work, but i think it's a great idea. Might have to try it myself

#9 ·
I myself don't want to go over to the chaos side either. I'm not going to convert the Glade Guard or the Spellsinger much, maybe some horns here and there.

The Treeman did prove a huge challenge so I might ditch the idea, and try something else, like the Riders of Kurnous. Centigors would indeed make a great look.

Daemonettes as Wardancers are now confirmed.

Keep it coming! Just bought a box of Glade Guard and a not of greenstuff.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.