Best tactic vs higg armour save - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best tactic vs higg armour save

Hello all,

Going up against heavily armoured foes, such as Empire Knights, a Steamtank, Iron breakers, or a unit of Chosen.... Rather than just hold the armoured unit up or avoiding it, what is the best tactic for getting through that heavy armour?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends, armored units aren't great in numbers (most of the time). So most of the time a noble or lord with bow of loren and arcane bodkins will do the trick. If that doesn't help a unit of waywatchers with KB on short range can help out...

So if I go up against a HA enemy, I take a unit of waywatchers (7-10) with a lord that carries the bow of loren and arcane bodkins.

But you could also send in your WD and WR and flank/ rear them, and hope you can make the attacks hit....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Strength 6 is the best we can do. The options are characters with great weapons, along with treemen and ancients.

For ignoring armour we have the bow of loren/arcane bodkins combo, killing blow of the waywatchers and wardancers along with the twilight spear. Daiths reaper can also help in a pinch.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Strength 6 is almost the best we can do, Orion is a 7 on the charge.

As for good tactics getting them to go into woods is always nice as we can make lots of S5 hits that way which can bring them down.

Also if you can charge them with wild riders in the flank / rear + treeman in the front or just in at all really you should be able to win combat which since high armor units tend to lack numbers should cause them to flee letting you run them down. Only works vs infantry that are not ItP.
    Last edited by Lyzaru; June 9th, 2009 at 21:54.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mass fire (if possible) from MGA (Machine Gun Alter) and or Waywatchers (see my thread "Points vs. effectiveness") if you can't get both (1 isn't better then the other it just points out the bennifits and drawbacks of both). This will drop their numbers/ranks. I then try to a charge on them with Wild Riders and Dryads if possible.

-You will probably outnumber, and have an extremely good shot of winning combat (+1 Outnumber, + 1 Standard Barer, + 1 War Banner, +1/2 flank and or rear if possible, +? for successful wounds).
    --You Outnumber, cause fear, and win combat... they need snake eyes to not run, you pursue with 2 dice, and 3 dice.

Hasn't failed me yet!
    Wood Elf Fantasy Player

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Knights and heavy armour are not really a problem. There are a lot of ways to deal with them.

The steamtank is another issue. It is very hard for WE to deal with this beast. There is no good way to deal with it. Throw a treeman at it or some strength 6 alters and hope that it fails some saves.

I would recommend overwhelming it. Try and rig a charge with a treeman and two strength 6 characters. Hopefully, you will at least hurt it.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am with Skarsgard on the steamtank. The best way is throw a treeman at it and hope you wound it, then it makes it harder to generate steam points for attacks and has a better chance of just blowing its self up.

Knights I usually find that WR with a warbanner in the flank will just win threw CR most of the time and with fear on the charge you might be able to make the break easily and run them down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Yeah, I think we have general consensus here.

As far as infantry blocks go, you pretty much have to hit them from multiple sides at once.

That said, I still maintain that it's better just to avoid elite infantry deathstars =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swarmofseals View Post

That said, I still maintain that it's better just to avoid elite infantry deathstars =)

Here! Here!

Lets let them move at a paltry 3 - 4 inches a turn!
    Thats how i tend to beat 2+ and 1+ up or worse saves. Kill everything else and just let that brute of a unit churn around the battlefield. I do the same thing against Nergul demons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

i know that avoidence is a very common tactic for woodelves, but what do you do when you're up against a WoC army that only consists of hounds, spawns and chaos armour for the rest?

i play my roommates WE sometimes, but he just can't beat me anymore it seems, and he tried alot of different things. flankcharging a unit of khorne warriors with wardancers just doesn't cut it anymore, since i usually have 1 guy left to attack back and with combat with that.

i agree on the waywatchers, they are very nasty, seen them annihilate a knights unit in one of our games. and he also used the treeman in a few of our games ( we play 1k mostly) but after seeing how hard it is ones i usally target it asap with my tzeentch sorcerer with extra fireball ( and that's my standart setup).

so sum-up: his dryads and wardancers can't get enough kills to beat me in combat, his treeman gets blown to pieces in no time if he doesn't hide it, and my sorcerer is beating him to pulp every turn because he cannot get enough magic defence.

now i suggesten getting more archers into his army, but according to him that would not make much of a difference since he simply won't kill enough before i get there..

what should he do?

vid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast