Whats the best all round kindred? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the best all round kindred?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
    36 75.00%
  • Wardancer

7 14.58%
  • Wild rider

0 0%
  • Waywatcher

0 0%
  • Scout

0 0%
  • Eternal

3 6.25%
  • None, get a spellsinger

2 4.17%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the best all round kindred?

Whats the best all round kindred?

I think wardancer, but thats ust my style of play. What do u think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Well, I find it all depends on what you're trying to do. I recommend only taking characters to fulfill specific functions.

As such, I very rarely take a War Dancer at more than 1000pts, and then only at that level because I need a general who is survivable, and I find the kindred's abilities compliment that well.

The only kindred I'll plan on taking ahead of time is a standard Alter Kin (tho sometimes I take Wild Rider Kin). The standard Alter is a swiss army knife for your army; whenever I have the slot I take him. So I'd have to go with Alter kin.

Remember, you can get him very easily in almost any combat, including with War Dancers by doing combined charges.

Unless you really want that Killing Blow or ward save, I'd say he's actually a better compliment to your Close Combat troops than War Dancer kin, and even Wild Rider Kin. He can also hunt fast cav, war machines, and mages. Also, unlike the War Dancer, he can have the same attacks and still have the HoDA; which is always worth having in a list.

EDIT:
    This should really go in the general section and not the army section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Personally I think it's alter and it's not even close. There are a TON of good alter noble builds -- 25/35 points for movement 9, initiative 9, and an extra attack is a very nice deal, especially as it allows you to get S6 with a great weapon instead of S5 like most mounted nobles/highborns can get. Most importantly, this kindred doesn't come with nasty magic item restrictions. The can't join units penalty is negligible, but the can't be the general rule does hurt.

Eternal Guard kindred is terribad, nuff said.

Scout and Waywatcher kindred are nice for the deployment rules, but waywatcher kindred in particular is very expensive and both severely limit your item choices. My impression is that neither is an effective choice for the points except against very specific opponents.

Wild Rider and Wardancer kindreds are both kinda interesting. They are both quite expensive and both come with a boat load of special rules and restrictions. If it weren't for the magic item restrictions, both kindreds would be a lot better. As it is now, I see both as relatively soft choices, although my estimation of the Wild Rider kindred has been improving recently for a few specific builds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Alter by far.

Nothing can even compare really....
    Scout -> useless
    Way Watcher -> better than the scout, but only used in very specific circumstances
    Wild Rider -> Not to bad does some decent damage, lacks on item choice
    Wardancer -> Lacks item choices gets the dances, does pretty good damage
    Eternal -> see scout
    Alter -> Cant get a mount, Cant be part of a unit, cant be a general...WOW THAT SUCKS!? what do we get for these drawbacks.... +1 attack, 9 Init, 9 move, no item restrictions and its cheaper than most of the other kindreds!

Ya ill take my alter...hell ill take two!

EDIT: Damn swarm, you posted right before I did...now it looks like i just reiterate your points! XD

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Looks like the alter is winning in a landslide.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Alters are just where you want when you want them there, and they pack quite a bit of punch too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alter, by far!

Ever used an amber alter? If you have you cant say otherwise

ASF; s6; m9;i9; A4.

So that makes 4s6 attacks that will always hit first, at a WS of 6, on a single model (with longbow) that moves as fast cav.

Swiss army knife all the way!

I must say that wardancer comes as a good second for me, as I use that kin alot when I want it to join my Wardancers and add that extra punch! It is cheaper to give it WD-kin compared to giving him the magic items to get the same "upgrades" and you still have the 50pts for items...(The downside is losing the longbow!)
    Last edited by TheGuiding; July 4th, 2009 at 01:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuiding View Post
    Alter, by far!

Ever used an amber alter? If you have you cant say otherwise

ASF; s6; m9;i9; A4.

So that makes 4s6 attacks that will always hit first, at a WS of 6, on a single model (with longbow) that moves as fast cav.
    Will he be able to move as fast cavalry in terms of moving 18" and shooting without penalty? I always assumed he would count as a normal unit moving at 9" then shoot, he cant march and shoot like the fast cavalry rule can he?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No true, he can;t march and shoot...

The part of the fast cav was only about him being able to go 9"(or 18") and have no wheel or turn penalty's....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Standard Alter! Done so many amazing things with that guy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast