WEAHM. Wood Elves Against Heavy Magic - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WEAHM. Wood Elves Against Heavy Magic

i've been playing warp-lightning skaven armies, and magic missle dark elf armies, in 1000 point games,
    and i don't seem to have enough magic defense.
    and with 2 skaven warlocks giving me 2D6 Strength 5 hits, or Dark Elf sorceresses throwing a bunch magic missiles at me, i always manage losing 1/2 squad to even a full squad a turn.
    i'm using the standard scroll caddy, but that simply isn't enough.

how can i rid myself of these wizards and their pesky magic?

thanks,
    TGD

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could take a unit of dryads with a branchwraith in it. Make her a lvl 1 caster and and give her cluster of radiants thats 2 more dispel dice and another unit/hero that can do some damage. Hope that helps
    -The Ruler of the Golden Owl Asrai

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Yeah, either take two caddies or a caddie and a cluster branchie as described above. I'd be surprised if either opponent was fielding more than 6-8 power dice, so 4-5 dispel dice plus a couple of scrolls should shut it down nicely. Also, make a point of going after his wizards early if you can. Great eagles, warhawks, and wild riders are good for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my war-hawks are the number one priority against them though.
    they're usually obliterated before i can even charge.
    it only takes one turn to wipe out that entire unit.
    so with the caddy/branch-wraith combo, maybe that'll give the war-hawks enough time to charge in, and finish the pesky wizard off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Maybe. How many power dice does he throw per turn? And are you using terrain effectively to protect your warhawks until the turn before they charge?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

get used to it. Or start playing 2250 games and then, maybe you'll realize that you haven't seen anything yet. Magic heavy armies don't even get started til there is an overpowering lvl4 on the board. At least he can't take a lord in under 1000pts

I say get used to it because WE are one of the few armies that actually doesnot have cost effective magic resistance units or magic items. It's a fact of life and has only gotten worse with the newer books. Part of your problem is that you're playing smaller games. Usually I run 3 units of dryads as my spell and shooting blockers. They take the hits and allow my more vulnerable units to get into position to destroy the enemy. You can take a branwraith types or scroll caddies, but just face it, you're going to lose some guys getting there because we can't stop the magic. Scroll caddy can stop magic heavy for 1 turn and then he's near useless after that. Branchwraiths' can't fight as well as the other characters you need, so at 1000 pts, I'd say you'd be better off getting more dryads and letting them run interference for you or soak up wounds so your other guys can get into position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against magic heavy stuff I usually take a scroll caddy and a standard alter.

one caddy is usually enough to shut down their magic for one turn and on the next I charge the wizard or unit the wizard is in with the alter and hopefully kill him, the only downside is that the alter usually breaks from the combat from static res if the wizard was in a unit, but for me almost 75 percent of the time he gets away, or (im not sure if everyone you play against will groan) you can take a treeman with the alter as well and rush forward and get the mages into combat, hopefully killing them or at least making so your other troops can get into postition without being molested for at least one extra turn or until your treeman breaks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I think from what I can gather, you need to adjust your tactics, not your list. One scroll caddy is fine at 1k points. Just don't use them too fast. At the beginning of the game, use dryads to screen your other units, and don't worry about dispelling things thrown at them. Obviously, use the dice you have, but don't use scrolls to protect them. Once they get whittled down, your other units should be in charge range. Use the scrolls to protect them the turn before they charge. Then hopefully you can kill the casters.

Just remember this tactic. If you have say wardancers behind dryads, when a few dryads die, take of the ones screening the wardancers from the enemy unit. Then you can charge next turn.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keeping the war-hawks behind my dryads, for a turn.
    wizard will magic missile the dryads, and by the time the dryads are almost through,
    the hawks will be in range to charge, and it'll be over for said wizard.
    thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think almost everything is said when it comes to facing pesky HM armys. Since I face a lot of HE magic heavy army's I had to adopt my tactics as well.

Here are some things I do to shut down the HE mages:

- Scouts; deploy your scouts so that they can shoot at strength 4 against his bunker units. With 5 shots youll kill about 4 a turn.

- Screening (as explained above)

- when you feel lucky you can instead of a the scroll cady give a mage a power stone and deepwood sphere. That makes that you can try to cast treesinging 5 times in one turn, the opponent will probably block 4 of them, but one will probably get through... Than you can place the forest in front (or over) the enemy mage! Do note that this only works when you have a second scroll cady, since that is really necessary against HM!!

- GG; take a lot of shooting with you, and make sure you get turn one if you throw 30 missiles at his mage (even when in a bunker unit) hell get wounded!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast