How do you HoDA - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you HoDA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you HoDA

So almost every army in the Wood Elf list is equipped with the lovely and awesome Hail of Doom Arrow, but how do us generals use it? Do most of you save it up until a critical point in the battle? Do you immediately send out a volley on turn one or two and have the enemy play catch up?

So how do you HODA?

recently i have been using the first turn tac nuke. Usually puts my opponent in a fluster when i nuke his mage unit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I use it first turn. Usually targeting any missile troops, or fast cavalry if there aren't any missile troops worth shooting.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I rarely include it in my army lists. I average 5 shots on 3 dice, so since I still need 2-3's to hit usually, it's not worth the points to do 2-3 wounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa! Rarely? Madness! =) For 35 points it is gold!

I usually pop mine first turn.

Things I like to shoot it at:

Fast calv units (take out a unit of 5 and you can cause some fun panic tests)
    Light armored ranged units / mage bunkers
    Lone characters (Should they be so foolish)
    Warmachines (9 shots, 8 hits, get a few on the crew and dead / disabled warhmachine)
    Vargulfs (spelling?)
    Giants

I've even shot it at Engines of the Gods before... it was low chance but I did almost kill that skink priest!

Of course, it all depends on how deployment went, what flanks I think I can handle and what the biggest threat is going to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer to save it until sometime in turns 2-4 where I can setup the kind of shot I want with the kind of effect I want.

It really depends on your opponent aswell, like against high elves I like to use it against those stupid 7 man swordmaster units people take and cause panic gallore (I've wiped out half an HE army simple by destroying a unit like this).

Otherwise I generally use it to get rid of or thin down primary targets before engaging.

Its also perfect for those damn annoying cairn wraiths and the banshee, depending on how many they've taken, theres big potential to wipe out the unit, especially if the HoDA is on your lord where the -1 for skirmishers wont make a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I only take this item in a 2,500 pt game. When I use HODA it's between turns 3-4 depending on the situation. I have used it on turn 1 though....a few times.

One of the times I used HODA on the first turn was also EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL! 18 shots! I was all WTF?!?! And managed to make half of my opponents army run off the board, only happened once though.

Now anyway back to the item....I usually equip it to a Waywatcher noble (I usually don't take a Waywatcher Noble but every now and then it's all what the hell why not). Scout rule FTW!
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a Wood Elf player but I do like them. Imagine if you could combine the Hail of Doom Arrow with Arcane Bodkins! Suck on that you Chaos Knights!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

I take the HoDA in almost every list and usually fire it off on turn one. My primary targets are missile troops or fast cav/fliers.

You want to fire at missile troops on turn one so as to minimize return fire, pretty simple.

Fast Cav/Fliers are good to take out on turn one as well as you don't want them mucking with your maneuvering. They are also good targets in terms of point ratio as fast cav tend to have very poor defense when compared to their point cost.

Another advantage to firing on the first turn is that enemy units will typically be more clustered together and closer to the board edge, thus increasing the possibility for panic, and panic caused will be more effective as the chances are increased that a unit will run off the board entirely.

And yeah, as ethsar said they are great against low defense ethereal troops =)

Another nice thing is that with BS6, a basic noble will be hitting on 2+ even at long range -- so I feel no need to get in position first as long as I have LOS.

Ohh and one other thing -- I'll typically save it for last in my shooting. I'll try to take out fast cav/fliers with regular glade guard volleys as the units tend to be smaller. It's nice to aim for a larger unit as if you get lucky with the number of shots you won't end up with wasted wounds like you sometimes do on min size units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use mine with a Scout Noble, I know most people think that scout is a waste for a noble but I take a Nolbe with scout kin, HoDA, and Sword of Might, and 5 scout to go with him. I put them in the woods and stray hidden till a big unit goes by or flyers/skirmisher get near and nuke them, and after they are weaken if they are small enough unit, I got the noble with str5 attcks to finish it with. Or i use the HoDA right before my eternal guard get hit with a big unit to weaken them up right before the charge and they are committed by then.
    -The Ruler of the Golden Owl Asrai

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I typically put a HoDA on a 'disposable' hero.

Just a noble on a horse with the HoDA, spear, shield, light armor, and sometimes the HotH.

He is relatively inexpensive, can blast off the HoDA in turn one and then hunt warmachines or weak characters like mages from then on.

I always target enemy fast cavalry units first - as they can really put a monkey wrench in the plans for things like Wild Riders or Dryads. If no fast cav are present, sometimes you can get lucky with a HoDA and blast out a warmachine, or really hurt a light armored unit, like enemy archers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast