Eternal Guard: role and uses - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Eternal Guard: role and uses

I've been browsing the army lists section and no-one seems to use these guys, are they really that bad? I really want to field a list based on them because the models are my favourite in the range but I'm not sure how to use them properly. What about a highborn with the Rhymers harp? Maybe a battle standard bearer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see much point behind eternal guard. They're a big slow unit in a small fast army. I suppose with a Highborn in it you could use it as an anvil but you shouldn't really be being charged with Wood Elves. I think you should be controlling the game and how it rolls. I know someone who had a Highborn with the Moonstone of Hidden Ways with a unit of 20 Eternal Guard and teleported the whole unit so that it was in a forest that threatened the opponent's flank quite a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that using them against daemons and VC works really well for the high static CR you can give them, and with the royal standard fear isn't a problem.

A lord with the harp and annoyance for challenges is what I use. I usually take two treemen with it and run them on either side to protect its flanks. I put some glade riders right in front to bait the enemy and then just ram the eternal guard in the front and the treemen in the flanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

The important thing to keep in mind is that EG are anti-synergistic with most wood elf armies for reasons that others have already mentioned.

You can build a very tough EG unit with a harp/netlings highborn and BSB as others have stated -- you'll have great static combat res but will still be relatively vulnerable to shooting. Also, the unit will be VERY expensive, relatively slow, and takes up at least one lord and hero slot to be effective -- so it's putting a lot of eggs in one basket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed, it is a GIANT sinkhole for points. It also makes it a bigger target for spells and shooting, which I have found takes away from the wildriders and dryads I sneak around the flanks.

I've also found that it is only useful against Daemons because their units are small like ours, and they can phase out, VC for the crumbling, low toughness, and slow movement, against other armies they seem to be less useful at least to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

BSBBSS

(Battle Standard Bearer Baby Sitting Service)
    Last edited by Skarsgard; July 29th, 2009 at 05:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swarmofseals View Post
    The important thing to keep in mind is that EG are anti-synergistic with most wood elf armies for reasons that others have already mentioned.
    Oh come on. Its the only unit with static CR, its completely synergistic. Make the unit stubborn and its the perfect anvil for the rest of the army. You want to counter charge and this unit makes it happen (much better than having a unit flee). And don't snuff at its eternal fighting style as its pretty good in comparison to many rank and file in the warhammer world.

I really like this unit lol .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

I've used them a few times myself and agree that they can be complimentary to our army.

I have run then 7x2 with a highborn. It isn't a huge point sink (still not cheap), but it's fairly effective. You really have to understand how Rank and file troops work in order to plan to use them effectivly. This is something I think many W.E players are unfamiliar with since, unless they are using EG, don't really use any rank and file troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you nailed it right on the head Tattoo, we spend so much time focusing on using our movement and agility that we forget how to use the simple rank and file. Rep to you good sir

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Frog Thor View Post
    Oh come on. Its the only unit with static CR, its completely synergistic. Make the unit stubborn and its the perfect anvil for the rest of the army. You want to counter charge and this unit makes it happen (much better than having a unit flee). And don't snuff at its eternal fighting style as its pretty good in comparison to many rank and file in the warhammer world.

I really like this unit lol .

I think you misunderstand what I mean by anti-synergistic. Anti-synergistic does not mean bad -- it just means that it doesn't easily fit into the normal wood elf strategy. Most wood elf armies have a basic strategy of providing few if any juicy targets, swarming around the enemy with multiple small units and pounding the flanks. EG simply does not fit cleanly into this strategy. Of course you can adapt your own strategy and use the EG as the centerpiece of your army, but relatively few people do this because, well, it means building your army around an EG block. I'm merely trying to explain why they aren't very popular -- because if you want to use them well you have to tailor your strategy to them, whereas most wood elf units can be thrown into the mix and work well no matter the composition of the rest of your army.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast