2 questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 questions

1: I'm sure some FAQ out there covers this but I'm the lazy kind so please just answer: Does the damage version of tree singing also have 18 as maximum range?

2: Skirmishers charging question. When skirmishers charge they first fill the enemy's front (or flank or whatsoever) and then make ranks. The thing is when there is very little space in the front rank, for example if you charge a flank of a 1-rank enemy or if another unit/piece of terrain is in the way so that your fighting rank will only be 1-2 models. Then you will have a lot of ranks, and if this occurs, there will very often be a new piece of terrain/another unit in the way of all those ranks. So, will the charge fail if you simply cannot line up your remaining models correctly or is there any solution because the unit is skirmishing (just dropping the remaining models in a pile behind the fighting rank or whatever)?

It feels like it may be very easy to use this advantage to prevent enemy skirmishing units from charging, not all the time but...

A skirmishing unit in combat with 1 file seems pretty unpractical and odd from a gaming perspective.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by prozent View Post
    1: I'm sure some FAQ out there covers this but I'm the lazy kind so please just answer: Does the damage version of tree singing also have 18 as maximum range?
    There is no range limit for the damage version.

2: Skirmishers charging question. When skirmishers charge they first fill the enemy's front (or flank or whatsoever) and then make ranks. The thing is when there is very little space in the front rank, for example if you charge a flank of a 1-rank enemy or if another unit/piece of terrain is in the way so that your fighting rank will only be 1-2 models. Then you will have a lot of ranks, and if this occurs, there will very often be a new piece of terrain/another unit in the way of all those ranks. So, will the charge fail if you simply cannot line up your remaining models correctly or is there any solution because the unit is skirmishing (just dropping the remaining models in a pile behind the fighting rank or whatever)?
    As long as a model can get into combat, then the charge will succeed. If you have a problem with other units in the way, move them so the rest of the skirmishers can form up as normal. This doesn't allow you to get more models into contact though.
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) This is FAQ'd, the damage part of Tree Singing has NO RANGE limit at all.

2) Skirmishers will always get as many models into contact with they any if they are within charge range, this means that if 6 out of 7 models are within their charge range but there is room for more only 6 can get in. And yes, if there was only one model of your opponents unit (like say a flank) then you can only maximize based on what can put into base contact.

E.g you have an opponents Cav unit (25mm x 50mm) which only has one rank and you have a unit of 8 dryads (25mm x 25mm) charge their flank, all of your dryads are within charge range, however due to the base sizes the most you will be able to get into base contact is 4, this means the remaining 4 dryads rank up behind the 4 which are in contact. If however the cav had 2 ranks you would be able to get 6 dryads in.

Heres are rough map of how it would look, C = Cav, D = Dryads
    A)
    CC
    CC
    CC
    CC
    CC
    DDDD
    DDDD

CCCC
    CCCC
    CCCC
    CCCC
    DDDDDD
    DD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You dont just fill their ranks, you bring the MAXIMUM amount of units into combat.

Quote from rulebook: PG 63
    "When the maximum number of models has been brought into base-to-base contact with the side charged (including models fighting corner-to-corner), remaining skirmishers will begin to form up in ranks."

Dryads Charging a fast cav flank would look similar to this.

C= Cav D=Dryad

---CC
    ---CC
    ---CC
    ---CC
    ---CC
    -DDDD
    ---DD

Fast cav are 25 x 50 mm and wardancers are 25 x 25
    you can fit 2 on on the side of a cavalry unit, and 2 more in corner to corner contact.

Giving you 4 extra attacks.

Dont cheat yourself out of those extra attacks, they are valuabe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tampac I think you misunderstood my question. You don't need to bother though as Kently provided me with the answers I needed. Thanks anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

If you don't have enough room to bring your skirmishers in, then it counts as a failed charge, as there is not enough room for your unit to fit.

This makes sense because if you had two units side by side, and a skirmish unit in front of them, and the skirmish unit was on the flank of one of the units, then you would be able to charge the unit on it's flank, and just move the unit in the way out of the way, this would be retarded and unfair.

ex.

s= skirmishers, e= enemy unit

s s s s s
    s s s s s

eeeeeee...eeeee
    eeeeeee
    eeeeeee

in this example the skirmish unit is in the flank arc of the small enemy unit, although because there is not enough room for all the skirmisher to properly line up, then it is a failed charged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Umm.. I'm pretty certain the rulebook says the opposite on that note... especially for skirmishers. Though, my little brotehr TOOK mine! And I'm not certain.

In other cases of units not fitting, if they can charge without smashing into another unit, you just slide the units to make them fit accordingly. Skirmishers are specified as being able to charge around units, so you can still do it, I think.

Like I said, rulebook gone now, so I'm operating off of memory.

EDIT:
    What Kently said makes sense... it always does.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BustaCaps View Post
    s= skirmishers, e= enemy unit

s s s s s
    s s s s s

eeeeeee...eeeee
    eeeeeee
    eeeeeee

in this example the skirmish unit is in the flank arc of the small enemy unit, although because there is not enough room for all the skirmisher to properly line up, then it is a failed charged.
    You don't need to fit all the skirmishers in, just one. If the units are so close that you can't get one model in between them (i.e. there is less than 20mm of space assuming the skirmishers are on 20mm bases) then it would be a failed charge. If there is enough space, you move as many skirmishers into contact as possible, then slide one of the enemy units over to provide the room for the ones that couldn't make it to form up behind.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Okay.

+ Reply to Thread