Vs. Lizardmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vs. Lizardmen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vs. Lizardmen

Hello all,

I ll probably soon be up against 2000point Lizardmen army, i have no idea how his army setup will be like, but i know he has at least 1 stegadon, slann, chamoskinks and kroxigors in his arsenal at home and a lot of core units etc.
    Do you guys and gals have any tips on how to make my own list focused on possible Lizardmen armies? or maybe some tips/warnings what to look for in the battle?

my main concerns:

-Flame attacks
    -Heavy numbers shooting
    -THe skink kroxigor combo unit
    -Lizardmen movement is 6? correct me if am wrong...
    -Coldblooded... so basically no chance of panic/leadership testing etc.
    -High on armor saves due to scaly scin alrdy 5+...
    -anything i have forgotten due to my lack of knowledge

I ve read some stuff here on the forums about them...but not a lot,

Thanks for any input !

Greetings Forestalker

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Foreststalker View Post
    my main concerns:

-Flame attacks Nothing to worry about here. Salamanders are flaming but unreliable, and only strength 3.

-Heavy numbers shooting Lizardman shooting is really poor.

-THe skink kroxigor combo unit One of the worst combos in the lizardman army, which is even worse vs wood elves who can just ignore it.

-Lizardmen movement is 6? correct me if am wrong... They have a lot of movement 6 units, but saurus are only movement 4.

-Coldblooded... so basically no chance of panic/leadership testing etc. Skinks have a leadership of 6. So even with cold blooded, they have a good chance of panicking.

-High on armor saves due to scaly scin alrdy 5+... This can actually be an issue, especially with stegadons and saurus cavalry. Great weapons, and waywatchers can help out here.

-anything i have forgotten due to my lack of knowledgeI think high magic could be the biggest problem.
    You want to use mobility to your advantage here. You should decide on a general and build your force around that choice. I think you have 3 viable options:

A) A spellweaver with wand of wych elm
    An alter highborn with the spirit sword
    C) A treeman ancient.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lizardman shooting is really poor.
    Our toughness is only 3..... define poor? i know they can double shoot but dont know the BS and strength and stuff like that..

One of the worst combos in the lizardman army, which is even worse vs wood elves who can just ignore it.
    can u explain why it is worse.... and how we can ignore it?

think high magic could be the biggest problem.
    Any thoughts of countering it without spilling to much point? (i am thinking branchwraith loaded up with 1-2 dispelscroll? or the spite that gives +1 dispeldice.)

Another question comes to mind.... how good are alter kindreds (mainly the shooting variety) against Lizardmen? b/c u dont mention them as viable options..

and i have no clue how the spirit sword works. I ve read it countless times.. but to me it is very confusing.
    again, my knowledge is limited

thanks beforehand,

foreststalker
    "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Skink shooting has a ballistic skill of 3, so they start off needing 4's to hit. Movement and double tapping will take them to a 6, and if firing at one of our skirmish units, that will make it a 7, eliminating the poison ability. If they have javelin throwers, shoot them as they can be a little more of a problem.

Skink/Krox units can't turn. So they either have to wheel (which will take up most of there movement), or reform (which takes up all of there movement. Just move around them, bait them out of position, and they won't see combat unless you want them to. Also, the skinks are weak and can be shot up pretty easily.

Shooting alters won't be that good against lizardmen as they really don't have to much worth shooting at with them. Assuming you mean the bow of loren/arcane bodkins highborn, who would you shoot at. Everything worthwhile is toughness 4 which limits your effectiveness with him. I just don't see him as a viable option.

As for the spirit sword, lets go with an example. Charge a stegadon and direct all you attacks against it. Lets say you hit three times. The sword wounds automatically, so the steg needs to take 3 armour saves at -1 for the highborns 4 strength. Lets say he fails two of those saves. Now he has taken 2 wounds and you each roll a D6. You add 10 to your roll for your leadership, and he adds 6 to his roll (he can't use the riders leadership), and the difference is the number of wounds taken. Lets say you both roll a 3, you have 13, he has 9, so the steg will take 4 more wounds. Just make sure you challenge if a character is on top to eliminate the attacks of the other 4 skinks.

As for high magic, a spellweaver with the wand of wych elm, a scroll caddy, and a branchwraith with the cluster of radients goes a long way to shutting down his magic phase.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great input thx,

question:

with the example of the stegasaurus:

-how do you determine only to hit the stegosaurus and not the rider.. or is that random?
    -If it is random.. how the heck will u work out that dice rolling trick with the spirit sword..
    -And if u challenge a stegasaurus... dont u automatically challenge the rider... not the mount?>)
    -I must be a newbie asking all these questions

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

In close combat, you can choose to hit either the rider or monstrous mount. You can even split attacks if you so choose. In a challenge the mount still takes part in combat and is a legal target for attacks.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Branchwraiths can't take dispel scrolls, and a single scroll caddy isn't nearly enough to hold back a slann backed up by a skink priest or two. A 2k lizardmen army can potentially have upwards of 12 power dice. If you think he might go magic heavy, I'd strongly suggest taking a Spellweaver with wand of wych elm (lore of beasts is really good against lizardmen too, by the way), a branchwraith with cluster of radiants, and a spellsinger with 2 dispel scrolls. That will shut down his magic quite nicely and give you some decent magic of your own. It's a lot of points, but it's worth it not having your army obliterated by magic.

Another reason why skink/kroxigor units are bad is that skinks are awful in close combat and the Kroxigors aren't as scary as they look. Consider a unit of ranked skinks 16 strong with 2 kroxigors. That's 190 points right there, plus another 20 more for full command. Say they come at you in a 6 by 4 formation and charge a unit of 8 dryads. You'll end up with six models in base to base. The skinks will kill .92 dryads on average. The kroxigors then kill 1.67 more, for a total of of 2.59 kills. The dryads will kill 3.16 skinks when they retaliate. In other words, a 210 point unit charging a 96 point unit only manages to win by 3-4 on average, which is pretty terrible. If the dryads charge the skinks it isn't pretty! They kill an average of 5.55 skinks while the kroxigors only kill 1.67 dryads, meaning that the combat will likely be a draw (in other words, you lose by 1 due to the musician) but still, there's still a good chance you win that combat. And that's with a lone, frontal charge from a unit that costs less than half of the skink/krox block. If you charge from multiple directions with equal points worth of dryads then the skinks don't stand a chance.

Honestly, Kroxigors are not that scary. They may be S6 due to their great weapons, but they are also only T4 and only have 3 WS3 attacks each, which is pretty poor for a 55 point model.

To answer your question about alter nobles, they are indeed useful against Lizardmen!

One other thing to be concerned about are terradon riders. Their rock drop attack is really nasty as it doesn't need to roll to hit -- so things like lone characters and expensive models that rely on -hit modifiers (like waywatchers) are VERY vulnerable. I'd recommend trying to shoot these down as quickly as possible before they drop their rocks. They are only T3 with a 6+ save, although they do have 2 wounds each. Luckily, you do not get a -1 to hit modifier for skirmishing against them because they are US2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

also, kroxigors can't attack if you flank charge the skink block. Any kind of extra rank attacks are negated on the flank, so you'll be free to dice up the little ones without much of a chance of retaliation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well,i have a friend that plays Lizardmen regularly and the thing that always got me was the magic.Darn Slann shenanigans,it got to a point were all i would take is one scroll caddy because there would so much magic flying around the table it didn't matter how many dispel dice i got,but he was playing a slann,2 skink priests,and a scar veteran.the stegadon was a problem for awhile,then i just started charging my wardancers into the side of it and just attacked it so many times it didn't matter what was there to stop it.

+ Reply to Thread