skaven storm banner - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

skaven storm banner

I wounder if someone have good idees to handel the storm banner that skaven has. since I think it is a darn anti woodelf banner. for those who dont know what that do here it is. (one use only)
    "The banner can be activated at the beginning of any player's turn. No flying movement is allowed across the entire battlefield and missile fire is at -2 to hit. All non-magical missile attacks that don't use BS to hit their target need to roll a 4+ on a D6 before they can fire. Roll a D6 at the beginning of each of the following player's turns - the effects of the banner will end on the roll of a 1 or 2"
    how do I do now if i suspect the the enemy will use this banner? do I go for speed from warhaks and archery like I would if I didnt know about this banner and hope that it will end or do I make a new list that isnt using any flyers and less archery?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

TBH, Skaven are also quite reliant on their war machines and hsooting. Warp lightning, ratling guns, warplock jezzails, warp fire throwers, poison wind globadiers, the list goes on. They would be hampering themselves almost as much as you, and that one model can quite easily be nixed by e.g. a killing blow Wood Elf Waywatcher lord or something else similar. And anyways, -2 to hit isn't THAT bad... especially for Elves with BS4 to start with (so essentially they get treated as if they are BS 2...) and wood elves suffer less than most as they get their move and fire without penalty, so its like having BS3 troops that move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far when my buddy plans to use that banner he takes out his jezzails and adds more combat troops like monks and storm vermin, if you have a fairly balanced list between combat and archery, then i use the time to better position my wildriders and treemen with less chance of being nailed by his rattling guns.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I wouldn't tailor my list assuming that he would take it. If he does, adjust your tactics to wait out the banner. You should still be able to hit things with your shooting, and eventually, the banner will die.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think GW may be getting rid of it here soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced View Post
    I think GW may be getting rid of it here soon.
    If find that speculating about such things is seldom worthwhile.

Anyway, it happens that one of my semi-regular opponents is a Skaven player who, since the advent of the "power-creep" (high elves onwards), has started using the Storm Banner as standard. I've not played a game against him since the Demon book came out that he hasn't used it.

It turns out that it's as much of a hindrance to him as to me, and for around two-thirds of the games I've been against it it's not made much difference. It's unreliable more than anything. It usually runs out after a turn or so, but that means I can get my units further forwards (by marching in leiu of shooting) while his own shooting is restricted too.

Treat it like the Orc & Goblin Animosity, the Beastmen 'Unruly' rule, and so on. Just roll with it.

V
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasian View Post
    If find that speculating about such things is seldom worthwhile.

Anyway, it happens that one of my semi-regular opponents is a Skaven player who, since the advent of the "power-creep" (high elves onwards), has started using the Storm Banner as standard. I've not played a game against him since the Demon book came out that he hasn't used it.

It turns out that it's as much of a hindrance to him as to me, and for around two-thirds of the games I've been against it it's not made much difference. It's unreliable more than anything. It usually runs out after a turn or so, but that means I can get my units further forwards (by marching in leiu of shooting) while his own shooting is restricted too.

Treat it like the Orc & Goblin Animosity, the Beastmen 'Unruly' rule, and so on. Just roll with it.

V
    Worthwhile? We know the Skaven are getting a new book soon. GW isn't being coy about that anymore. Even if they still have the storm banner, it is unlikely that it will work the same way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

In fact most stores will have pre-release versions at least after Games Day on Sunday...Speculation is just that. Most armies have a silly magic item like this that protect theirarmies or buff them in some way. Hgh Elves have banner of Sorcery or standard of teh World Dragon, Dark Elves have Pendant and the ring of Hotek, Lizardmen have some really nasty non-magicals like Engines of the Gods, Vampire COunts have teh Drakenhoff Banner and teh Banner of Blood Keep. These things are all "force multipliers" - they make a smaller force more potent by protecting it for longer. TBH Skaven have plenty of options to protect their troops other than the storm banner - and I'm really unsure why ANY skaven player would want to field Storm banner against armies other than other skaven, Dwarves, Empire and Wood Elves, and even then these armies do not solely rely on shooting, they have options such as the Heavy cavalry horde or the armoured infantry horde, or the Forest Spirit horde...

+ Reply to Thread