I am wondering how you would build a list to smite lizardmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

I am wondering how you would build a list to smite lizardmen

Greetings Fellow gamers,

I am new to the Warhamme Fantasy Battle game, and have recently convinced a friend of mine to play. However, she has chosen wood elves, and is afraid that my lizardmen will destroy her.

I don't want to destroy her enthusiasm for the game. But I think she overestimates my skill level (I've played 2 games total, and have lost both)

How would you build a list to hammer down a lizardmen army?

So far she has
    Battalion box set
    (Glade Guard, Dryads, Glade Riders)
    3 Warhawk Riders
    1 Box Glade Guard

What sort of list would you build with that as a core? Any words of wisdom you would like me to pass on to her? Anything that you think is "Cool!" that might not be competative, but a lot of fun to play?

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say in general, Lizards are a tough matchup for Wood elves. Alter Nobles, Treemen and Forest Dragons do well I would say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Well pretty much any list that includes minimal forest spirits will do well against lizards (as that engine tears them up!). Last time I played lizards my wardancers had fun with their flanks. Glade riders are great bait for setting that up!

A basic list would look kind of (not exactly) like this

Wardancer noble, annoyance of nettlings (to challenge the skink priest on stegadon and kill him)

Spellsinger (scroll jockey)

2x5 glade rider units, musician (bait and flee, provide some shooting)

10 dryads (just stay away from the engine with this unit)

20 wardancers (2 units of ten)

Treeman (stay away from the engine)

Balanced, and descent.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I always like to have an alter highborn with the spirit sword when playing lizardmen. He can make short work of stegadons, salamanders, kroxigors, and terradons. You will probably want a couple of scroll caddies to control the magic at the beginning of the game.

Of course some archers to shoot at the the skinks and saurus. Wardancers and wild riders are good for combat with the saurus. A treeman could be good, just keep away from the engine.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

To Girl Hunter. Yeah! That's a good list! Some tweaks I'd make if I actually implemented it (I know you weren't giving final list, but it was a fairly good one.)

Quote Originally Posted by girlhunter2102 View Post

Wardancer noble, annoyance of nettlings (to challenge the skink priest on stegadon and kill him)
    I run mine in a unit with a champion and the blades of loec, to take advantage of s5 attacks against the unit on the charge (it will drastically reduce the number of Saurus striking back). That or I take a moonstone; but given there's no singing, Blades of Loec will be a better investment.

Spellsinger (scroll jockey)
    If I needed a challenge jokey, I'd swap this for B-wraith radient caddy with the netlings.

2x5 glade rider units, musician (bait and flee, provide some shooting)
    Given that you don't need 3 core choices, and Warhawks are flexible and can function better as skirmisher hunters and assassins, I'd swap one unit of riders for one unit of hawks.

10 dryads (just stay away from the engine with this unit)
    There's never any need for larger than unit size 8.

20 wardancers (2 units of ten)
    I think anymore than 8 is a waste of points. So, I'd do 16 and save points. Also, it's good to take something that can break ranks. Wild Riders are another option (I don't like not having them actually)

Treeman (stay away from the engine)
    Always a good option. Almost necessary in todays environment.
    Balanced, and descent.
    So, yeah. That'd be..

Core:
    Glade Riders x5 - musician
    Dryads x8

Special:
    Wardancers x7 - musician, champion
    Wardancers x7
    Warhawks x3

Rare:
    Treeman

This gives 40 points to work with, which can easily be used to turn a unit of WD into WR.

Alternatively, the Wraith can turn into a Dispel Caddy, and the Dryads can turn into archers.

Or the Wardancers can be fleshed out. Or a fourth Warhawk added.

EDIT:
    And the Wardancer Noble can be converted to a standard alter.
    Last edited by Gnomish.Id; September 25th, 2009 at 23:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Also I would tell your friend that the wood elf army does play differently then almost all others and can even be played extremely differently then all other armies while this can make for very fun games it means that starting out the army can be very hard to do well with as it takes much more effort to learn. Otherwise the advice listed above should help for a starting point.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

+ Reply to Thread