Beginner Advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginner Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner Advice

Hey there,

Just picked up the Wood Elf Army Box and am looking forward to hitting up the closest GW with them. Just need tips on putting together a list and maybe some advice on what I should pick up or avoid.

The army box comes with:
    32 Glade Guard
    8 Glade Riders
    16 Dryads
    3 Warhawk Riders
    6 Wardancers
    1 Lord, Spellsinger, and BSB model

I was considering picking up a Treeman and Ancient. I'm excited to use the Warhawk Riders as well but was wondering if I should have a unit bigger than three. I also like the look of wardancers. Are they a viable unit in 2000 pts and at what number, or should I try to avoid using them?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to joing your ranks of Wood Elves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Well with what you have I would do the following list.

Spellsinger:
    - moonstone of hidden ways
    Wraith:
    - annoyance, cluster, level one (general)
    Noble:
    - alter kin, hail of doom arrow, helm of the hunt, light armor, shield, great weapon

10 glade guard:
    10 glade guard:
    11 glade guard: (singer goes here)
    8 Dryads:
    7 Dryads: (wraith goes here)
    5 glade riders:

3 Warhawk rider:

To add to this a treeman would be great, as would a unit of wild riders for the riders you will want 6 of them, with musician and banner if points allow upgrade to warbanner. For wardancers you will want 8 in the unit and they work really well.

Basically you are fine on core, and will just have to flush out with a few rares or alternate heroes.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. Looks like a fun list to play. May I ask why the small size of units? I've noticed it in almost every list. Units of 8 or 10 seem less effective than what I'm used to with my VC.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Regnal View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Looks like a fun list to play. May I ask why the small size of units? I've noticed it in almost every list. Units of 8 or 10 seem less effective than what I'm used to with my VC.
    Most wood elf units are used in small sizes for a couple of reasons. First off skirmishers like dryads and wardancers don't get rank bonuses, so having more than can fit into combat is counterproductive.

Second, our models are fairly point expensive, so you need to try and keep the cost down so you can get more units.

Lastly, our major tactic is moving around and hiding. Easier to do with smaller units that have a smaller footprint.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

VC and Wood Elves play very differently, VC strength in their core units is their bulk and matter being imperishable and holding up units for a long time while they get shredded by magic and flanking units. Wood Elves are designed pretty much to take pot shots, move around out the way of close combat units and shoot them a bit more.

Wood Elves are expensive point wise in comparison to many armies, but comparatively across the special/core/rare choices there isn't anything that makes you particularly go "HOW MUCH?!"

Smaller units can help utilise a units strengths in Wood Elves (downside perhaps being most armies outnumber us in close combat so get a +1CR automatically) Skirmishers don't need ranks. Archers don't need ranks unless you have them on a hill and are trying to minimise the front face of a unit. Ten archers on a row with a phenominal range, stronger as the enemy gets nearer is sufficient against most units - for example if in a turn half hit the opposition, a unit of twenty being shot at half a chance of needing a psych test if all five arrows hit true. Add to the fact that you don't move forward while the enemy does with such a unit and you don't need to darken the sky with arrows, just give some light shade with a potential of death from afar.

Skirmish units and close combat units - use maneouverability (god I hate that word) and run from the enemy, really irritate them by zipping around corners or into a tree which then scurries off another few inches. Engage in comabat when YOU want to, a unit in each flank is quite nice if you can pull it off. Bear in mind charging into combat at the start of a game isn't always a good idea. Each unit in close combat is one less for your archers to be aiming at - it becomes inefficient. While you can argue a close combat unit out of combat is inefficient - it can cause distractions, hold magic items, marchblock, take on units at the back of the table holding quarters or handling machines or higher armoured units or those defended from arrowfire.

Horses for courses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also buy another glade riders unit. This way you will have 16 of them. You can assembly two units of 5 glade riders with muso and one unit of 6 wild riders with banner/muso. That should be more than enough of cavalry even if you go for larger points (2000+)
    cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I'm just curious; where did you buy an Army Box? I can only find a Battalion Box on the GW website. I am interested in starting a wood elf army myself. Also, if you don't mind telling me how much you payed for your box, that would be helpful too (I don't have much so I need to take any bargains available). Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Finding an army box isn't easy. Only battalions are released after the army first comes out. You'd have to get lucky on ebay or find a person/dealer with one to sell.

There are stores that offer good discounts. I use the TheWarStore.com. They give a 20% discount on all GW products, have great customer service, and ship fast and cheap.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats too bad that the army boxes are hard to find, but thanks a lot for the tip about the web site . I'll check it out.

+ Reply to Thread