Steam tanks. X_X - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steam tanks. X_X

How does one expect to destroy tanks or other heavily armoured but immune to killing blow units? Should I just ignore it?

JJDW

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

There are a few different ways to deal with Steam Tanks and the like...I think that one of them really applies to Wood Elves where the others (warmachines/multiwound attacks, Lore of Metal) don't.

So, move around them / feed them garbage and redirect them is the way to go. These are your opponent's big smashy units. Doing your best to avoid them is often a great strategy. I think this is by far the best strategy for Wood Elves. Also, if you can get a woods moved into the Steam Tank, you can hinder it's movement quite a bit.

Tekore

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I would really try and avoid them/try and move your woods into its way.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

redirecting them into trees using something like glade riders is a good strategy. Or avoidence. You are never going to be able to kill a steam tank without taking too many casualties yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I witnessed a steamtank grinding through a unit of 30 gobo spearman in one turn, even after being hit by 4 fanatics of which 3 died resulting in 3 more D6's. I dont know if you even seen those coming you way, but most of the time their D6 strength 5 AP hits.... but the Steam Tank only took 1 wound...

So indeed go around it, or try to hurt it with magic (do look out, you can only cast "given strenght spells" at them, the rest gets absorbed by the armour). Their weak point is maybe that they will fail all initiative test... so if you can try to make them do an initiative test (too bad we cant cast the pit of shades )

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Also remember they are expensive.

If the Empire army has taken one it means they have forgone something else. If you can get a Treeman and two or mages into your army you can really spam the Empire with Treesinging and block off the Steam Tank.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Yeah. It's the same way I dealt with the Vampire Counts death star grave guard block.

Also, you can use the horn of the Asrai to force it to enter the woods, can't you? Of course, that depends on its leadership, and how far it is from the general. At least it would take a long time getting out that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Steam tanks have Ld 10.... I found that out the hard way by throwing a spirit sword alter highborne at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, and since magic doesnt effect it (except if it has an given strenght), its hard for an combat orientated army to take one out. Since we arent really combat oriented... well just don't

Except if you really NEED those points, then try to get as many treeman as you can against it! Oh, and btw be carefull if it charges, it cause d3 impact hits per steampoint used for the charge!

PS: can anyone help me out here, for a steamtank you need to generate steampoints (SP). to see if teh generator doesnt blow, you need to declare an amount of SP then add a D6, if the total is more than the amount of wounds left, the SteamTank get 1 wound, and cant do anything (no SP) that turn. But how many SP is generated if you succeed? Is that the amount of SP declared or is that the amount declared plus the D6??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

you only generate the number you declare. The extra d6 is not added, it is just a check to see if it blows

+ Reply to Thread