Doomwheel of Doom - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doomwheel of Doom

Ok so I am in a campaign with a group of friends and the one guy has a doom-wheel and it rips me apart! I am 0/3 against it and i have only run it off the board once. I cant seem to stop it with anything, the only thing I haven't tried is wild riders but if it ate a treeman in one turn then I just don't have much confidence in the riders. So wat do you guys use and recommend to stop this Hamster Wheel O' Doom? Thx

Last edited by sirkently; March 31st, 2010 at 01:43.
    -The Ruler of the Golden Owl Asrai

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -26 (x0)

Yaknow i havent versed the new DW yet or the new skaven at all.. but i would think thatit would die preety easily from shooting, dryads in the flank, some kinda stragety or trick to get it of course then just mess with the players head. Haha if i knew its rules ide speak better tips then this junk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Highborne,

I don't know at what point level you guys play, or what else your opponent brings (heavy magic/ dispel heavy?) anyway, try getting a forest between you and him and keep his units between you and him. That should drop it effectiveness! Than try shooting at the damn thing. Im not sure but I think that every wound you make can causes more wounds... something like that...

Its the same as it runs into difficult terrain, it get auto wounded!

Then its movement is 2D6 (or something alike) and he cant actually charge, he must happen to run into an enemy... (pivot on the spot in a direction, determine move range, move, see if it hits). So if you stay outside that range, you should be golden. If you need to get close and personal, charge it with a block of dryads, the Fear should cause a Ld test (skaven = low Ld) and outnumbered by Fear causers = flee!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMm... doomwheel is ITP so fear has no uses... but i got a couple of ideas for taking it out... shoot isn's my best choice... skaven got a good standard vs shooting, and you're gonna wound it only at 6´s... and it get an AS of 4+...
    if you wound... it must roll a d6 and if it roll a 1 then it's out of control... what in fact can be good to the wheel... couse it can make move it forwards the enemy... raterrain isn't bad... but only causes d3 S4 hits... so is very rare that it wound from it...
    but... whit only LD7... and d3 impact hits of S6 and 2d6 WS3 S2 attacks... it seems vulnerable to combat resolution...
    so a 6 man unit of wild riders with war banner can be very nice... if u can get more man to the unit i think is best... he will hit you firs with a d3 S6 automatic hits... so in the worst of the cases you will lose 2 man before it can attack... so champ is a nice shot here...
    with normal attacks hitting on 4 and wounding on 5... you saving on 5 and 5 again... you get good chances of passing the combat with only 2 wounds for the wheel and maybe one for your side... so combat res looks like this most of the cases, wild riders side (potency, standard bearer, war banner) 3 vs skaven doomwheel (2 wounds) 2... a test at-1 for the hamsters... and this means ld 6... so you got your chances ... if you take a hero to the unit your chances grow very nicely

my other idea involves a treemen, being guarded of the ligthning by dryads, then you sacrifice a unit of dryads to countercharge with the treemen and you got very nice chances...

still in need of testing so i'm gonna challenge my skaven friend and see what comes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as his list goes it is really balanced and fun to play against and he has 2 lvl 2 enigneers but I shut them down easy enough, right now the list im going to try against him this week, we are at 1750, has a noble on stag with 6 wild riders and a warbanner. The plan is to run at him behind glade riders and then just hit the wheel with all i got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you unfamiliar with the Doomwheel I'll clear up a few of the details.

Moves as a Chariot so when it charges it only gets a single pivot.
    The Doomwheel has a 360 charge LOS as per the recent FAQ.
    Difficult and Impassible terrain cause HITS on the Doomwheel. Impassable are higher strength and thus a better chance of wounding.
    The lightning is random strength between 2 and 10 but causes d6 wounds per bolt. So single charging treemen across the board isn't going to work.
    The Doomwheel causes Terror and is Immune to Psychology so those tricks aren't going to work.
    It always inflicts impact hits, d6+1 on the charge, d3 when not charging so it's always formidable.

The best way to defeat the doomwheel is with Combat Resolution. Unfortunately the Wood Elves don't have a lot of non-skirmishing units. A large unit of Eternal Guard could work but it's expensive and if the doomwheel gets a flank charge then it wins. Note: It's pretty easy for the doomwheel to get a flank charge given that it has a 360 charge radius.

That being said, try using a screening unit of dryads and run the treeman behind it. he'll either overrun into your treeman (who should be able to handle the impact hits) or he'll be stuck in combat with the dryads. Try and prevent your treeman from being the closest unit for lightning strikes if possible.

Another tactic is to use any of your fast cavalry as a screen. Flee when the Doomwheel charges and bait the doomwheel in so that treekin/treemen/wild riders can get the charge off. You don't need a flank charge here, just something to move the doomwheel in closer and possible soak up the lightning.

Lastly, if you are lucky enough to have a table with a lot of difficult terrain, move as many units into the terrain and at very least you won't have to worry about being charged.

In closing, a well played and/or lucky rolling doomwheel is a pain in the butt to defeat for wood elves. A Wood Elf has to use some pretty canny tactics to defeat the hamster wheel of death. Once you hit 2k points it gets a little easier (Orion, Spirit Sword,etc).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should be playing him on Thurs for the campaign so it I do I'll let you guys know how the wild riders fare against it. Thanks for the help guys.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I played in a tournament on the weekend. Against skaven, first turn I fed it a great eagle. Second turn charged it with an alter highborn with the spirit sword. Bye bye doomwheel.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    I played in a tournament on the weekend. Against skaven, first turn I fed it a great eagle. Second turn charged it with an alter highborn with the spirit sword. Bye bye doomwheel.
    Spirit Sword is one of the easier ways to kill the Doomwheel. Unfortunately it won't work in the original posters scenario since he is sub-2000 points and thus no one has more than 50 points alloted for magical items.

Also, you still have to be careful. Impact hits (which the Doomwheel gets even if charged) still hit first and it's possible to kill the bearer if he's all alone, or just riding a monster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: So I played the skaven army tonite and the doomwheel killed only 3 treekin and that was after 4 rounds of combat. Really the best thing to do with it I find is to pretty much avoid it, but to have a unit on the flanks that is going to keep it honest and that they cannot ignore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast