New to wood elves-advise needed(8th ed) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to wood elves-advise needed(8th ed)

Well i am new to wood elves.Just bought my battalion and 2 more units.Like everybody i suppose i am familiar with the 8th edition coming and i am worried whether i made the right choise or not.As i said i am not an experienced player but some of the changes(skirmishers for example)can change the entire tactic of the wood elve army and also some of the big advantages of the wood elves like movement-manouverability-choosing of battles and so on...i mean i dont quite know how this fantastic army will perform in 8th ed..any advice??thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8th edition will drastically change our tactics, but I don't think it will make us anywhere near as bad as some people (not on this site that I've seen) think. And while our strategies will change, most of our unit choices will not, I think, at least the basic ones. We still need Glade Guard and Dryads, Treemen are still good, Glade Riders are better now (they come in the battalion box), and Tree Kin are much better. The only things that I wouldn't pick up that were great in the old edition would be Wild Riders (still playable, just not as good) and Wardancers (at least not nearly as many as last edition). Our strategies will drastically change, but if you're new to wood elves anyway then you might be at an advantage, since you won't yet have developed old strategies that won't work anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to add one thing to BBDave's comment.

Go get some waywatchers. From what I heard so far, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with! 10" march move + 15" Killingblow shooting (or 30" without KB )! Then if you can keep them in woods, they are stubborn. So they where good before, but they got buffed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh ya, I totally forgot about Waywatchers. Get some of them for sure. If you don't want to buy the proper models (they can be quite expensive since they are metal blisters) then its pretty easy convert some Glade Guard into Waywatchers- just give them a different paint scheme and they're good to go, maybe add a few random bits here and there if you've got something interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have 1 question guys:although i like waywatchers(the look)i have difficulty to understand why 5 killing blow shots are so important..i mean we will shoot 5 arrows and we need as many 6s as we can get..now with the march and shoot ability they are better for sure(killing blow is only in 15 inch range).but still 120 points.i cant get it.i am inexperienced so maybe thats why i dont get it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Because otherwise it's just another strength three shot that is subject to armour saves and any regeneration.

Now consider armies like chaos warriors or dwarves with high armour. Lethal Shot is valuable in helping whittle down their numbers.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Way Watchers also jumped up to a whopping $18 a blister making them cost ~$9 PER MODELl. I just ordered 3 boxes of Glade Gaurd and I'm hoping to convert some of them (Not just Watchers of course, A few characters too, maybe some experimenting =P).

WayWatchers are also really good because they can easily get behind enemies because of their deplyment rules. Yes they are stubborn in a forest, but don't forget they get more cover as well. A basic unit shooting at way watchers in woods suffer a -3 penalty at short range, which is nothing to scoff at. You can also hide a WW Noble with HoDA in there as well for added shock value.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the new edition, Waywatchers will also be excellent at taking out war machine crews. Never underestimate 10 WS 4 attacks coming in. They'll never accomplish anything against proper combat troops, but they're excellent against other shooters an war machines. Also with the change to scouts they will now be allowed to deploy anywhere on the board with no restrictions- event right in front of an enemy. They can't charge first turn if you go first, but that's not too big of a negative, since they were made for shooting after all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

The problem with waywatchers is that you won't be able to hide them. One good stone thrower shot and the unit could be decimated. And they come three to a blister so that is $6 per model, still a hefty price though for a hunk of metal.

About the only thing I would buy right now are lots of glade guard. They are the basis of the army and they will always be useful. A wizard character would be good as well.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A stone thrower shot could decimate a lot of things right now. That's why the Waywatchers take out the stone thrower. If you position right next to the stone thrower he will have to put the template on one of the edges of the unit so that he doesn't get hit (if that's far enough), and it could scatter right back on to him. You charge in, even a dwarf crew won't likely stand up to all of the attacks you throw. Alternatively you can just shoot (no more randomization- you always hit the crew, but use the war machine's toughness).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast