Wild Riders in 8th - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wild Riders in 8th

do we think a unit of 10 (5x2) make a good harassment unit?, supported by 2 groups of 5 glade rider.

I think these units gets a free move at the start of game, so they can whip up the side of the board, (glade guard on the outside to shiled wild riders and fire back at any other fast cav). When wild riders are in position, they could cause some heafty rear damage.. warmachines. flansk etc

- Wood Elves + Orcs & Goblins since 2009 -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I was thinking that a unit of 12 (6x2) would be a good flanking unit. Good for getting into the enemies deployment zone and going after warmachines as you say.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i currently have 6 of them... might invest in some more. Treekin are £18 each! so i just cant afford to go down that route...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what about 1x15

that would give us an Treekin horde rule

As far as I can tell, that grants them stubborn, more attacks... and this is one of those "just cause" moments.
    15 treekin running towards an enemy... This.. is... Athel Loren!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could you explain those rules to me Guiding - why would they get stubborn? - p.s. that unit would cost £300

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

You need more ranks to get stubborn. I assume the guiding wants the 15 treekin to be in a unit 3 wide by 5 deep. Pretty expensive to get stubborn.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for being expensive, you could just take a few sticks, glue some dryad bits on the and you got yourself a treekin!
    "My Word is Iron"
    "Show me your Friends, and I'll show you your Future"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed I meant 3x5 which I think grants you the stubborn rule... right?

The unit is pretty hefty in point cost, but still its pretty sick. It will tear down anything thrown at it... But I dont really think it will be competitive, I just like the idea of such a unit. Just image them storming from the woods to slay a unit of invaders!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuiding View Post
    Indeed I meant 3x5 which I think grants you the stubborn rule... right?
    Only if those 3 ranks are more than what you are fighting.

SirKently

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 different rules were referenced here, I'll try and clear it up. Any unit with more ranks than the opponent (minimum 5 wide for infantry/cavalry, 3 for the monstrous versions) becomes "Steadfast"- the same effect that Stubborn had in the old rules, except that you are allowed to use the general's leadership. Stubborn now has the effect that the unit is always steadfast regardless of ranks. Steadfast is never guaranteed (unless you have Stubborn) because it is entirely dependent on how many ranks your opponent has. It should be noted that ranks for determining Steadfast, and combat resolution, are now counted at the end of combat, making the rule even less of a guarantee. Also a unit with only a single rank can be steadfast (assuming the opponent has none, as is the case with skirmishers) so long as the first rank has at least 5 models.

The other rule referenced was the "Horde" rule. Any unit with double the width required for a rank bonus is a horde. Hordes get one extra rank of supporting attacks. A unit of 18 Tree Kin ranked 6 wide by 3 deep would get 55 attacks with a champion, plus 6 Stomp attacks. It would be huge point sink, but if it actually got into combat there's not much it couldn't tear up. I don't recommend such a formation, but it might be fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast