Dryad/wardancer tactics for 8th edition - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member slann-o-engine-eo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Dryad/wardancer tactics for 8th edition

With 8th edition the ability of the other player to attack back has been very harsh on my dryads and wardancers. So for now ive had to switch my tactics up while using both the wardancers and the dryads.

My wardancers ive been using as a protector of my glade guard, running units over that have been picked over by the guard and as a back up for treemen that have been in combat. So I hit unit with treeman, stick in combat with BSB, then have wardancers come in the next turn and wipe out rest of unit. They have also been good for taking out smaller units of elite infantry from warriors of chaos and dark elves and deamons. The only problem im having is the ability to hit a unit and not wipe out the whole unit every turn with them. I cant even attack skaven slaves anymore without getting almost 15 attacks back at me.

My dryads Im having a harder time with. They used to do the same thing as wardancers except they could actualy stay in combat. Now I hit unit, kill 4-8 models, then have most of their squad attack back and goodbye dryads. The only good solutuion Ive found that works with dryads now is using lots of small units of 8-10 and send them in waves at the enemy. Initiative 6 means I usualy strike first and the ability of knowing my enemys unit is going to wipe the first unit out and have to hit the second one is awesome.

So what has everyone else been using their wardancers and dryads for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use dryads anymore. I believe that they are useless when compared to our GG and the fact that you are always going to lose them. The new skirmishing rules and strike back is to great a blow for me to use my dryads.

As for wardancers i had the same problem as with dryads, except they die even quiker because theres less of them. So now i just use them for cheap character assasination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karantalis View Post
    I don't use dryads anymore. I believe that they are useless when compared to our GG and the fact that you are always going to lose them. The new skirmishing rules and strike back is to great a blow for me to use my dryads.

As for wardancers i had the same problem as with dryads, except they die even quiker because theres less of them. So now i just use them for cheap character assasination.
    That's a little harsh. You guys should look at the initiative on those models before knocking them dead. They will hit before most of the things out there. they will still grind units to the ground from a flanking/rearing position, especially with an extra 5-7 attacks.
    Last edited by Wolf_Pack; July 30th, 2010 at 21:56. Reason: typo
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically, skirmishers cant tank... no shock really.

Before you get these guys you need either a treeman, Eternalguard or Treekin Unit as an Anvil. Dryads + wardancers are Hammers... But from how I see it, just get 2 lots of Treekin, because they are just better at the moment.

EDIT: Treekin + Wild Riders are my units of choice actually.
    - Wood Elves + Orcs & Goblins since 2009 -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

dryads are still good in the front providing the enemy is weaker in str and/or ws and obvioulsy has no sick combat characters and they are still a solid option to throw at any flanking units

with good manoeuvring you should be able to get wardancers into a flank of a block unit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that dryads and WD can be good but I dont offen go into combat with them without flesh of stone on them. I think that they need that buff spell to be usefull. Still WD can give a nice slice on the flank on a unit that has been in one combat. you dont get as many attacks back on the flank.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

As skarsgard pointed out in another thread, taking small units of each and going at a tough unit in waves is a viable option. Two units of 8 dryads go in first, followed by wardancers who should be able to eliminate the weakened unit.

As was stated before, they also make a good flanking unit if you have hold something up with a treeman or treekin.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried using a small group of 5 WD for assassinations and was surprised by how effective it was. A small and kinda cheap unit that can throw out lots of attacks with killing blow is great for taking out heavily armored generals. In one game i had they murdered my friend's 300pt Lord at the start of combat. Sure they got massacred after they were finished but they more than tripled there points. As for dryads I haven't changed the way I play with them much, only being a lot more cautious with the combats I get into. Then again that's the same with any unit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I am finding the leaf-blower method really working for me. Small units hitting wave after wave and decimating the enemy formations. The fact that people are taking huge units is actually working in our favour as there are less flankers and support units to worry about. Just be careful as it does not work well against ASF units (you need to either hit them in the flank or decimate them with shooting).

But combined charges still work and it is a bit easier to get flanks than I had anticiapted due to the front rank being the determining factor.
    A few days ago I charged a treeman, 8 dryads into the front of a 25 man unit of chaos warriors with halberds (Mark of Khorne) set up in ranks of 10, the enemy general was also in this unit. I also had 5 wildriders charge in the flank and 5 wardancers hit the other flank. The chaos unit had been untouched up until now as I had used my archers to kill off the support elements.

After the dust had cleared I had killed 17 chaos warriors and lost 4 dryads, 2 wildriders and two wounds on the treeman. Since he no longer had ranks over me, there was no steadfast to fall back on.

For those keeping score, that was an 800pt unit in a 2400pt game!

So the leaf-blower and multi-charge methods both work. You just have to tailor your strategy to your opponent.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was woundering about this with waving with dryads and WD. Sice you only count WP for whole destroyed unit dosent they get many cheep WP for all the waving units or is it worth it since you do it on big expensive unit?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast