Eternal Guards in 8th ed. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eternal Guards in 8th ed.

Hi, from what I have heard alot of people dislike the eternal guards.
    What uses can u think of for them in 8th ed?

I was thinking with all those huge units out there getting steadfast perhaps 20 guards and a noble or highborn making a small stubborn unit to hold a round or two while wardancers/wildriders and perhaps even treekins gets in the battle?

Perhaps even 10 guards and a noble in a unit fielded 3 wide could make it? or will the noble die in both my cases?

Other uses for them? (got 40 of them, how do I use them best? =))

Cheers!
    Nacher

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Running them with the Rhymer's harp is never a bad idea.

Also, you can make a unit teleport with the moonstone, which isn't bad.

They have ranks, and so can break ranks, can be stubborn, and so can tarpit. That's about what I see them being good for.

As to whether they're a "competetive choice". Well, that has been discussed here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ally-suck.html (Do EG Really Suck?)

My opinion is probably not. Though, I'm a little sad about the frontage requirements for Dryads, and can see them as being a valid choice in lieu of tree-chicks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

A true EG horde is potentially nasty, but you want 40 of them at least.

Here's why:
    Front rank gets 20 attacks (21 with champ)
    Supporting rank adds 10 attacks
    Horde rank adds 10 attacks
    "Spear" rank adds 10 attacks (unless you charged)

So that's up to 51 attacks at WS 5 and I 5. Give them the razor banner to ensure they do some damage as EG have always had the failing of being Str 3.

Add a BSB with either 2+ armor item or the heavy armor that gives a 4+ ward. Or the 4+ ward, charmed shield, and light armor.

Then add a highborn with rhymers harp, great weapon, light armor, and annoyance.

It's unlikely the unit will budge. Mind you, they will still suffer against hard core enemy units. Warriors of Chaos, Bloodletters, Black Guard, High Elves with ASF.

But have some Treekin and a Treeman nearby, and you can do okay. They're so expensive though, that it's hard to fill in units around them.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Of course, you'll rarely get all 10 in base unless you're fighting another horde.

So, realistically you're looking at...
    1st rank - 15 attacks (champion counted for)
    2nd rank - 7 attacks
    3rd rank - 7 attacks
    4th rank - 7 attacks
    36 attacks total, at s3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I've seen EG kick ... in 3 matches in a row now. With the harp thingy on a highborne, special fighting style and support from Lore of Beasts or Life (either 1+str and T or +2T) they have taken on all comers - most notably a unit of 20 warriors of chaos including Chaos Lord (he was tied up in challenge with highborne with annoyance of netlings most of the time).

That these two units ever ended up in combat with each other was a big mistake on the WoC players part (me), as the EG's stubborn make them a great tarpit - especially when backed up by Lore of Life, but that they actually wiped the floor with the Chaos warriors and made them flee after 2 rounds came as a suprise to be honest =P
    Last edited by Filthor; October 4th, 2010 at 15:51.

Senior Member slann-o-engine-eo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

lets face it guys, there is one major let down, one crucial let down that puts eternal guard at the bottom of the list for right now.

to make a unit of eternal guard a decent unit, one has to make the unit larger to accomodate the larger units in warhammer right now. One also has to run a character in that unit. One also has to run a battlestandard bearer to ensure that they dont run from combat. And to top it off, a unit of at least 30 with full command costs 390 points, without a magical banner.

a unit of 6 treekin also costs 390, and will last longer, kill faster, win combat faster, and survive harder. That is the eternals guard major let down, the ability to take more things way better than them.

sorry guys just pick up some treekin or proxy some

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Wood Elf units in general are overpriced compared to the newer army books. I agree with slaan-o that an EG horde gets way too costly way too fast. With 30+ models, a lord and a BSB, it's a major pile of points. Treekin and Treemen are great support units but are so expensive themselves. You end up with a handful of units, and suddenly all the strengths of WEs (mobility chief among them) are lost.

I love my WEs and look forward to playing them whenever a new book arrives. For now, they're on the shelves while my Warriors take the battlefield.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good points even though Im not totaly sure why 30-40 eternal guards is the way to go. 30 eternal guards are probably to small to get the steadfast away on many units and I guess 30 stubborn guards isnt THAT much better then 20-25 of them when not able to negate steadfast anyway?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

You have to realize you are going to lose some Eternal Guards during the battle, if you don't plan on getting steadfast with them, you might as well not bring them, in general they aren't able to kill an enemy unit. If you field the Eternal Guard 10 wide, with the new rules you get another rank of supporting attacks, that's why you need to field 40 if you field a horde, because 1st and 2nd rank can attack, 3rd rank can attack due to spears, 4th rank can also attack due to the unit being a horde. 10 x 4 = 40.

another thing is you have to have at least 5 models in each rank for it to count as a rank, fielding anything less than 5 x 3 is a waste attack-wise.
    That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now ur talking against urself, u really think 40 ten wide would give steadfast? and since they get stubborn with a noble im not sure its worth it to get them really big pointwise just to negate steadfast, why not just keep them small and stubborn and get more units to attack in flank while the guards keep them there?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast