new wood elf player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new wood elf player

Alright so Im pretty darn nw to 8th edition warhammer, I had played empire in 7th but im looking to the wood elves to really mix it up I love the model range and units and I understand that while alot of things got nerfed im sure thats nothing a new army book wont fix in the future. Im looking for new models to paint ect, and I also see potential for truly strategic army!

For tournament play I understand forest spirits rock, but I have these questions...

I have heard of all shooting lists focused of never seeing combat... is this possible and or viable??

Are there still uses for glade riders. I know they have been nerfed but I always loved harassment units (pistoleers and the like) Do they still have theyre uses and can they be used competitively?

and can anyone point me to a treekin converting modeling page, the models are well.... dated to say the least and I have heard of some cool things people are doing with dryad parts..

Thanks in advance Guys!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like you are well informed.

To answer your questions - Wood elves cant make a gun line really, they DO need the combat troops as well, if the enemy has a flying unit, or lots of fast troops that get to your archers, they will die. Wood elves are an intricate danceing army whos tactics look like -> SHOOT all their weak T3 stuff at long range and kill it. SHOOT their Tougher T4 stuff at close range and kill it. CHARGE anything that is weak and near your archers. REFORM and SHOOT what ever else you can.

Glade riders are the Worst unit Wood Elves have now. Even Eternal Guard are better. You cant really march block now and for 24 points you could have 2 glade guard with str 4 arrows.

I have a post somewhere about my Converted Treekin. Literally all I did was buy Dryads, and instead of giving them 3 arms, i have them 7-8 fanned around their body to bulk them out and makes them look bigger. Stick their normal base on, and then stick that bas onto a Monsterous Infantry Base to give them extra height. Because of the amount of arms they give in a box, you can safely make 8 Treekin out of a box of 12 Dryads. Great money saver, and they are legit in tournaments because they are official minis.

Glade Guard, Treekin, Spellweaver, Hail of Doom arrow.
    These are the basic bones of the army, although there are lots of touches that you can make with interesting item setups and units such as wardancers and treemen

- AJ -
    - Wood Elves + Orcs & Goblins since 2009 -

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by AJ200 View Post
    Glade Guard, Treekin, Spellweaver, Hail of Doom arrow.
    This quote is basicly Wood Elves in 8th edition.

However a lot of players(including myself) really like Wild Riders and I can once again point you to my own post http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1768548

Glade Riders really suck for a couple of reasons
    1) they cost twice as much as glade guard, which is really pricey
    2) they have strength 3 arrows whereas glade guard have strength 4 at close range
    3) they can no longer march block effectively
    4) they can do almost nothing in close combat

I think you got most of these too AJ200.

Just for the record, forest spirit aren't generally good, dryads really suck compared to other armies units at the same price level. However, they are one of the strongest close combat units, we can get, it's just that, that doesn't really say anything as of now, we have 3 close combat units that can hold their ground by themselves, Wild Riders, Tree Kin and the Tree Man. Dryads and Wardancers can win combat, but you have to have several small units charge a single unit otherwise they lose the combat and will usually flee combat, because of their lack of ranks.
    That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any way to convert the battalion Glade riders into wild riders???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, its easy for the ones with a no-arm-body. Cut off their Quiver arrow, and glue in the hilt of a dagger. Dont give them bows, give them a spear and a Sword.

(I havnt made a conversion though for the ones with an Archer body, I need to think about that over the next few days) ...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

It's really a simple process, especially if you have the battlion because the GG sprues come with plenty of sword arms and the GR sprues have enough spear arms. I even had enough to make a mounted character.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Element9867 here are my photos of the Treekin, I now have x units of 8 made, but here is just one:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are some older photos of the Treekin mods, when I only had 6 of them and they had less arms:

Last edited by AJ200; December 15th, 2010 at 20:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aw Hell, I just think ill throw in a few of my other photos here now that ive uploaded them from my camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome!! Thanks for the pics, and wild riders seem esy enough to make, and Ill just need another box of dryads and some greenstuff for the treekin, Thanks alot!
    Im psyched to start an army they seem really cool, and even though 8th edition may not have been kind im not at all worried, seems like in the right hands these guys can do about anything... except against flaming cannonballs TwT
    Also are we in line for a new book???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast