Best WE tactics vs WoC? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best WE tactics vs WoC?

Help me out here guys... I get close, but can not quite beat my friend when he plays his WoC. He's always playing a lvl 4 (that becomes lvl 5 with some ability) caster on a flying disk... but after that CC + a hellcannon and a Shagroth (dont know spelling, soz)

Should I be casting, shooting and avoiding? Or calling in the big guys?

Last game (2500p) I played...

Weaver lvl 4 (Life)
    Glamourweave
    Obsidien Trinket (MR1)
    Staff of Wych Elm

Singer Lvl 2 (Athel Loren)
    Dispell Scroll

Noble (Scout)
    HoDA

2x Treemen

8x Treekin

1x Eagle

3x Warhawk Riders

12x GG (musician)

12x GG (mus)

20x GG (mus)

It didnt go too bad... Lost by about 700 points

Any suggestions?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would split your glade guard units into groups of 10. This way if He Hell cannons one, you don't lose too many guys. Also, I would shoot the crap out of a unit and then charge it with a Treemen or treekin. Combo charges work too. I had 6 Treekin take down 18 Khorne Halberd Warriors before. The treekin were down to a man afterward, but they still did it. That means if I would have shot the heck out of that unit. I could have made it out better.

Try and run a way from him and set up some nice flank charges. The main weakness of WoC is that they first have to get across the field to start killing. So if you can avoid that for as long as possible, you should have a much better chance.
    "My Word is Iron"
    "Show me your Friends, and I'll show you your Future"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weaver lvl 4 (Life)
    Glamourweave
    Obsidien Trinket (MR1)
    Staff of Wych Elm

Is that two Talismans? If so it is not allowed.
    - Wood Elves + Orcs & Goblins since 2009 -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem you have vs Warriors of Chaos is their Armour, you arrows wont touch them. Arrows will kill maurauders, hounds and the shaggoth.

It may infact be a better option to take lore of beasts to gain some strength and Spam it onto Dryads + Treekin.

You could get an Alter Nobel to hunt down his flying mage instead of your lv2 spellsinger.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

WoC armor is a pain, and Way Watchers are a good way to deal with them, but at the same time they are expensive. I agree that Beasts will be a much better choice against them though, because you have a ton of great buff spells to cast on your units/characters, you have a Ballista in there as well to hit their higher armor, and let's not forget the Curse, which I think will do much better against the higher S of WOC. With the Curse, if they do anything but a standard move (charge/march/reform/ect) they have to take a dangerous terrain test failing on 2s, and that right there is 1/3 of their unit, and even if they just do a normal move, you've slowed them down considerably giving you even more speed advantage. I would also consider Dryads for their good WS/S/A/I and War Dancers because of Killing blow, stick a Wraith in the Dryads, your Weaver/WD hero in the dancers and start buffing all nearby champs after you charge a unit because a WD hero or Wraith with +3 S/A is nasty. I would also suggest a Talisman of Preservation on the weaver for the static 4++ ward save.

In short, Hit a unit with your treekin and flank the sides with Dryads/Wardancers when backed with beasts will make his high armor crumble.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highborn Alter with Loren+Bodkins can be a good one too but ONLY if they have chaos Knights. He isnt worth using on Chaos Warriors, not a big enough payoff.

8. ThanksWillmuse thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which troops should be targeted first in your opinion?

Cause in the last game I took out:

a swarm unit on turn 3, some bigger boys on Turn 5, the Shaggoth on turn 6...

Left him with his caster (general), two thirds of 1 unit (of i guess chosen) that had a champ and exalted hero in, and his hellcannon... (way too much points for only a few models)

I still had 50% of a x12 GG unit, a full x20 GG unit, a scout noble... (He hit my treekin in the back with the shaggoth on turn 5 and killed my Weaver and Singer on turn 6)

Q: Should my primary attacks be more Character (points) focussed, or should take out units first?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The part where he took out your weaver and singer is probably why he won and why it didnt end up in a draw.
    Try to avoid him, run your casters out of units or whatever, just make sure he cant hurt your singers/ weavers.

Also as said above, because of the armour WoC have it might be a good idea to either swap 10 GG for some dryads, to get more CC power, or get a unit of WW.

For where your focus should be, well try take out the characters and the units... shoot the crap out of the unit where is character is in, then charge and challenge, and kill the bastard!

You need to kill the units to maintain hold over the battle, but you need the characters for the points. Also a character is worth a lot of points and therefore has a great impact on the game. Taking them out should cripple his army!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

WoC are a tough match up for us. Its all well and good to go after the big units, but it takes so long that those small point units will be harassing our units. I thing you have to spend the first couple of turns destroying the dogs, marauders, and chariots so they don't cause issues later. Now if you have something that can whittle down the big units a little, like say the dwellers spell, then use it, but I wouldn't concentrate on them. Hold back, and make him cross the whole table to get into combat with you, and take out the small harassing units while he is on the way. Then hope your combat units can hold up against his blocks.

The hell cannon, warshrine, and flying sorcerer are hard to kill but once the small units are gone, you can try to pick them off.

Good luck,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

+ Reply to Thread