Help versus Vampire Counts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help versus Vampire Counts

Hi guys I'm in some desperate need for some advice in building an army that can take on vampire counts. I haven't played with the new rules yet, but understand that large units of infantry are the new trouble unit, which means VC's will be at an immediate advantage. I would just like some suggestions as to what units and characters to take, and what they should have. the first game will be 1000 points, followed by a 2000 point game.

The VC player has a nearly endless supply as to what he can take, but I suspect it will be very heavy in the magic department with an absolutely huge amount of skeletons, as he has 2000 to draw upon.

I was thinking on taking a large amount of dryads and treekin as I suspect he'll have trouble taking them out. I obviously need some mage's to dispel some of his magic, but from there on I'm not sure, I was also thinking two units of glade riders to charge skeletons in the rear, and I was briefly thinking to take some wardancers but suspect they wont last. I was even thinking an alter kindred character killer to hunt any stray character or banshees. And in the larger game treemen, however I'm not to confident in Glade Guard as I didn't think their shooting would have enough effect. Undoubtedly I'll need to take some in the larger game anyway.

If you have any suggestions at all please speak your mind. VC will be the main army I play against in fantasy games, so any advice will be great. Please also be aware that I wont know all abbreviations used as I've had a break from fantasy the last year and a half to concentrate on my Witch Hunters and Space Wolves in 40K.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Welcome back to the world of fantasy
    I would take at least one unit of 6 treekin, and I'd fill out all of your core with glade guards, that's the general wood elf strategy nowadays, for a general I recommend a lvl 4 Spellweaver, and for the bigger game equipped with Wand of the Wych Elm,

1000pts.
    Lord
    Lvl 4 Spellweaver
    Core
    Glade Guard, loads
    Special
    Treekin 6

and then fill out the remainder with whatever you like.
    But some general guidelines, Glade Guards are very good now, the first two ranks can shoot, dryads and wardancers are nowhere near as good as they used to be. Glade Riders aren't nearly as good as they used to be. Eternal Guard still sucks. Treekin are overpowered. Wild Riders are okay, they die easily but can pack quite a punch. Warhawk Riders I am unsure of, but I think the consensus is that they are overpriced. Treemen are very good as always. Waywatchers I have found to be very effective, especially when there are buildings on the map. Eagles I haven't really tried, but I think the consensus is the same as it was with Warhawk Riders.

I hope this helps you out, even though I've never played against VC
    That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool thank you I wasn't quite sure wether I should go for the high level spellweavers or not but if you think so I will do. The news about the dryads and wardancers. However I lke the sound of taking a good solid unit of treekin. I'll have an army list posted in the next few days, for everyone's thoughts. I'm still tempted by dryads however to tie up his units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The simplest wood elf list of a spellweaver, 3x2 treekin and 3 units of 10 glade guard with musicians = 983 points i'm pretty sure.

You couldn't go wrong with that as a start. Can always expand on it for the 2k game with what you like and don't like

Overall though, from 7th to 8th, glade riders suck and wardancers and dryads have taken a bit of a hit.

Definitely use a Treeman in the 2k list. Worth their weight in gold.

Cheers,

Senior Member slann-o-engine-eo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

For small point games of around 1500 points and less the best way to go with wood elves is mass shooting and mass movement. So a few blocks of 14 or so glade guard and a couple units of scouts is always a good base for small point games.

Treekin and Treeman are always good when you get to higher point games but I find they take up too many points in small games.

So with higher points lots of Trees supported by glade guard and scouts and Spellweavers is always a good start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find a unit or 2 of 12 Dryads can help very much.
    But I do agree that Tree Kin and Glad Gaurd are the best options. You have to love 30+ S4 shots at the enermies within 16".
    High Elves \ Ogre Kingdoms \ Lizardmen \ Blood Angels \ Dark Angels \ Dark Elves
    W100+/D20+/L100+ \ W17/D0/L2 \ W1/D2/L2 \ W3/D0/L3 \ W7/D2/L9 \ W1/D0/L1

+ Reply to Thread