Army List Problems! Eternal Gaurd of TreeKin. NEED HELP!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army List Problems! Eternal Gaurd of TreeKin. NEED HELP!!

Now, im stuck, do i take 20 Eternal Gaurd with a noble to make them Stubborn or do i take roughly 6 TreeKin?

Also, I joined a few minuets ago, how do i change my pic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Rider_Champion View Post
    Now, im stuck, do i take 20 Eternal Gaurd with a noble to make them Stubborn or do i take roughly 6 TreeKin?

Also, I joined a few minuets ago, how do i change my pic?
    Treekin.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Either!

I know it doesn't help - but I like both! Go with your gut!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Welcome to the forums! Even you RF09, I can't say that I've seen you around in the past, even though it says you joined in '09 (how the heck are still just a Junior member? )

Anyways, first I'll answer the easy question: changing your profile pic. Head all the way to the top of the page. Click 'Settings'. On the new page you'll see a list of options on the left side. Under the heading 'Settings' (redundant yeah? ) you'll have the option to 'Edit Avatar'. That's the one you want. From there you can use a premade avatar, or upload one of your own.

As for the question between Eternal Guard and Treekin. I'd say that it depends on what else is in your list, but in this case, it doesn't. You're trying to add 25 guys and a Noble to have a block of Stubborn troops. Stubborn is great, but with the new Steadfast rules, I wouldn't bother. Not to mention those guys are only T3 and have about as much armor as a sheet of wet tissue paper. 20 of them aren't going to hold up long as an anvil, which is what you want Stubborn for.

Treekin on the other hand? Not only are they tougher, but they also pack a Wardsave. Not to mention they're stronger, have more attacks (than you'll get with the EGs) are immune to Stomp and Thunderstomp, and are just generally beasts when it comes to mashing foes. 6 of them in a single unit, 3 wide and 2 deep will net you a massively powerful wall of CRUNCH.

The basic strategy for list building that I, and another very accomplished Wood Elf player at my local have come up with, is this:

1. Troops:
    Dryads are feeling a bit left out these days, since they got nerfed from 7th. Elves are squishy, which is just no fun at all. So if it's an Elf, it gets a bow. Enough said. GladeGuard are your friends, Scouts are awesome (they're just about the only awesome Scouts in 8th, and are not to be confused with Waywatchers, who are BAD). Glade Riders are ok if run in large units and used strictly for VP denial, but nothing is going to come close to the lethality of GG Bowmen.

2. Troops Done? Ok, no need for Elves anymore:
    Elves are squishy. Especially Wood Elves who lack the awesome Hatred/Cheapness of the Dark Elves and the ASF/Weaponry of the High Elves. So instead you've just got a bunch of Sv5+ (if you're even lucky enough to get that) T3 Elves. Your army already has shooting covered in core, now you want combat. Best combat in the book? Treekin and Treemen. Load up and love it. Hordes of Treekin are brutal. 18 of them will rip the guts out of just about anything, but 6 is good in a bind.

3. Characters (Elves are Squishy) :
    Until they give you decent magic, all you really want is a lone L4 for Dispel. In 8th edition, there's no better dispel item than the Wood Elf 'Divination Orb'. Any time an opponent uses more than 3 dice to cast, you get to add a die to your dispel attempt (nobody in their right mind uses less than 3 dice in 8th, if the spell is important). The rest of your stuff is pretty depressing. Go for Lore of Life on that L4, or Beasts. Life is good for starting out, in hopes that you grab Regrowth, but once you learn to roll with the punches, you'll find yourself loving Beasts.
    Other than that L4, you don't even really need a BSB. The Treekin and the likes are just brutal and probably won't be losing many combats, and if they do, they're in for a world of hurt because they're never going to be Steadfast. The GG are expendable poor little guys, there's no sense in paying tons of points to let them reroll LD checks when they likely won't even survive the 1st round of combat anyways. Go for a Treeman instead, because seriously, Treemen are beasts and there's no reason NOT to load up on them.

Hope this helps you out a little, I'm not sure how new to Wood Elves you are, but maybe this will tide you over until you get your new book next year!
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks heaps for the advice, ive only just started with wood elves, and my initial thought was numbers, so i thought it would be good to have quite a few guys in a unit rather than goin with something more expensive and elite, ive redone my list, nothing but treemen and tree kin for combat, 2 units of 20 GG for ranged and then warhawks for warmachine and mage hunting, my leader is gonna be a highborn on dragon, i thought it would be prety fun and quite a devastating force to have on the field. thanks heaps for the help hopefully i win a few more battles with this new force.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

No problem, I'm glad to help. I hope that my advice didn't completely turn you a 180, you should always being playing the army that you want to play. If you're not a fan of Trees, you could always try to get the Elves to work for you.

The list looks good, it's not too over the top, a Highborn on a Dragon is pretty cool, I love the model. Just make sure to keep him safe up there - you're still stuck with a T3 rider (the curse of all Elves) so you're going to want to give him the best wardsave you can possibly find. I'd also split those GGs into four blocks of 10. That lets you spread firepower out a bit more, cover more board area, and if you're only fielded in 2 ranks it means that your Elves are always going to get their full shots in.

The new list will definitely be a good time for sure. Have you thought about signing up for the LO Site Campaign? Get some of your opponents logged in and get them playing along too. We could really use some more guys signed on for Order, and Wood Elves sure fit the bill.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep in mind that truely effective treekin hordes don't exist. You really want the full three ranks to benifit fully, which would mean you need 18 treekin in a single unit. But the unit size is limited to 12. I find that 3x2 works for most cases, but 4x2 will absolutely destroy if you have the points/models.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

In lower point games 2X2 is brutal!

I'd go treekin and lore of beasts, S/T 6 treekin are very nasty.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread