Competitive 8th ed list? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Cb1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competitive 8th ed list?

Hey, I love all the elves, wood elves the most. I have never made a wood elf army because I have (1) never played against them, and (2) heard their mostly skirmishers and skirmishers are no good anymore. Do any of you have a fairly competitive wood elf list(if that's possible)? I'm not looking for a tournament level list or anything but maybe some ideas on how to build my WE army.

Last edited by Cb1; October 26th, 2011 at 08:21.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

The general rule of thumb is to take a level 4 Weaver with either Lore of Life or Beasts depending on how you want to play and trees. However, trees won't win on their own. Fill up your Core with Archers (Best archers int eh game and can really soften up/kill your opponents and/or Dryads, who still put out a ton of hurt despite being skirmishers (S/T5 2A base). Use them to hit flanks/character hunt/deterrence. War Dancers follow the same line of thought and make a great bodyguard unit for your Caster if you don't want to her with your archers. Here's a sample 1500 points:

Lords

Spellweaver
    Level 4, Lore of Beasts
    Rhymer's Harp, Dispel Scroll

Core

Glade Gaurd x27
    Full Command
    Banner of Eternal Flame

10X
    Dryads x9

Special

39X
    Treekin x6

Rare

28X
    Treeman
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Cb1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much appreciated, that's a start.

Senior Member slann-o-engine-eo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

This Edition is all about the Trees. I would highly recomended not wasting any points into dryads, while they pack a punch and can kill a few models by the end of the game they will be dead, and most of the time not make their points back.

Wood elves have Two Consistent Competitive lists. The First list being all Trees backed up with a Spellweaver and a ton of Archers. The second list being all Elves, playing conservitavly and playing the 'can you catch me' high mobility game.

First list would look like

2500 points:
    Treeman ancient
    spellweaver

13ish Archers

^Archers

^Archers

^Archers

5-7Treekin
    5-7Treekin

Treeman
    Treeman
    This list is pretty simple and fun to play. Trees destroy everything in sight, while the Archers focus fire on units to wipe them away or soften the other players units and then wipe away with Trees. TreeKin and Treemen can all handle units by theirself, the mix of stubborn and Stomps and thunderstomps and high toughness keeps them all on the same level with any elite's in the game, but use your magic defensivly, keep your trees toughness boosted and heal when possible, and drop Dwellers on Opponents Death stars as often as you can. Also dont forget to Rely on Dwellers to snipe Characters off Dragons, if you use Dwellers on a Character on a Dragon, their is a high chance between the roll of the dragon and the roll of the character that one of them will Fail.

Second List:

Spellweaver on Eagle/Glade Steed
    Noble/highborn on Eagle/Glade Steed

glade riders
    Glade RIders
    Glade Riders
    Glade Riders

Wild Riders
    Wild Riders
    Warhawk Riders

Eagle
    Eagle
    This would be the core of the high mobility list, and basically you just play to keep the othe rplayer from getting any points from you, so move out of combat range, focus all fire at units, and focus all magic at same unit. Play to get just enough points over the othe rplayer to win, this list takes a lot of skill to play though, but it can be done, and only if you can rely on your dice well enough to know when they are going to do something for you.

Cb1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I was going to run the first list you said, so far I only have about 1500pts. I have 1 treeman 6 treekin 32 glade guard 1 noble and 1 spellsinger. I was going to give the spellsinger wand of wych elm + amaranthine brooch and the noble bsb with hunter talon and resplendence of lumines( to snipe if magic fails)

+ Reply to Thread