wood elf beginner. I need help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wood elf beginner. I need help

Hello everyone! I m new to this site ,new to wood elves and new to warhammer world!

Well, i painted wood elves about 3 years ago.. And after making some money I decided to begin again.. My army for now is:

highborn
    noble

16 glade guards
    12 dryads
    8 glade riders

8 wardancers

2 treekin (I know that I need more to put them in game)
    6 waywatchers

What should I take now? What is not useful? I ll propably mostly play against dwarfs (my brother' s army).. But that doesnt mean i want an army good only against dwarfs.. I want an army fun to play but good enough to have some chances in battles..
    Should I take wild riders? eternal guard?

Thank you..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Welcome back to the forest, and to LO. About your army, I would first bulk up on glade guard, and then fill out the treekin ranks (you need at least one more, but I would get 4 more). Against dwarves you don't need a wizard, but you will against everything else so one of those models would be good to get.

Wild riders can work in some lists, but aren't a normal include. Never get eternal guard, they should be eternally banished from any wood elf list.

Have fun,
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, Thats what i ve seen to other posts i ve checked.. its a pitty, eternal are really cool..

Is there any other possible way to find tree kin? Cause this models are really expensive.. What about transforming dryads to tree kins?

Is there any possibility that the army book changes and all this units(eternal, glade riders etc) start beeing useful?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

People convert dryads into Treekin all the time. I have and it looks great, though I wouldn't mind getting some actual treekin models. What I did (what most people do i think), is just make the dryads look really big by putting extra branches on their backs, giving them the less human looking heads, using branches for arms, ect, then putting them on a 25mm base then putting that on a 40mm base for the extra height. After that, just fill up the empty base space with some of the extra ground bits that littler wood elf sprues. That being said, when Treekin went Finecast, they actually became cheaper. Crazy I know, but instead of $20/model now it's $49.50 for three, so that saves you $10. Still not as cheap as a box of Dryads, though
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldos View Post
    I ll propably mostly play against dwarfs (my brother' s army).. But that doesnt mean i want an army good only against dwarfs..
    That's good that you want an army list that you can use against other armies. But for right now, be content on building a list that can give dwarfs a challenge.

I want an army fun to play but good enough to have some chances in battles..
    You might want to concentrate on the having fun part first. Is your brother rather new also or has he played for awhile? What is in your brother's army list?
    I am not sure since I have never used a Dwarf army, but, I think it is probably easier to win playing a Dwarf army than it is playing a Wood Elf army.

Should I take wild riders?
    You have the Glade Riders models; use them as Wild Riders and see how they work for you. They may be useful in attacking your brothers cannon, if he has one.

Is there any possibility that the army book changes and all this units(eternal, glade riders etc) start beeing useful?
    I share the sentiment. I want to use my Warhawk Rider models so badly but I cannot justify the point cost for basically just three arrow shots. I look at the stag stats and think "If only I did not have to use it as a mount".
    The sad thing is, if Wood Elves is one of the slowest selling armies overall, then it does not make sense financially for GW to continue developing the line and/or print a new army book.

Sidewinder

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I share the sentiment. I want to use my Warhawk Rider models so badly but I cannot justify the point cost for basically just three arrow shots
    I use Warhawks in every game I play in. They're a little overpriced (should be like 30 points. 35 tops), but you're paying for a lot more than 3 arrow shows. 8th gave them a lot of fun things to play with like Vanguard and stomp and it's best to use them to your advantage. I like using them as my second drop with a dummy GG drop being first. Set them up so it looks like you're going to be focus your stuff on one side of the board then use your vanguard to rapidly reposition yourself. be gutsy with them. Last game I literally flew them next to a unit of knights hoping he'd turn to face them. He did and I flew over him after which the knights were dead weight until turn 5. They're great warmachine hunters and/or character hunters as well and can quickly get into position for an unexpected multi-charge.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

You might want to concentrate on the having fun part first. Is your brother rather new also or has he played for awhile? What is in your brother's army list?
    I am not sure since I have never used a Dwarf army, but, I think it is probably easier to win playing a Dwarf army than it is playing a Wood Elf army.

You have the Glade Riders models; use them as Wild Riders and see how they work for you. They may be useful in attacking your brothers cannon, if he has one.

Sidewinder
    Yes my brother is new too.. And he has 2 canons!

I ll try the thing with the dryads..
    How many units of glade guards and scout glade guards is good to include? I have one for now...

And one more questin that might be silly but i remind you i am new (in fact I have played a real game of warhammer only once)..
    I checked the stats.. and eternals have the same with GGs if not better.. Why would some1 choose GGs over them? Its propably sth that i dont still know but i really cant understand... And I cant undestand some other things in comparison with stats
    Last edited by emeraldos; March 16th, 2012 at 15:14.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

I checked the stats.. and eternals have the same with GGs if not better.. Why would some1 choose GGs over them?
    Glade guard have bows. Eternals have to slog across the field to find something to hit. That is why glade guard are better. At 1500 points I would want about 3 units of 10 glade guard.
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i love eternal guard, any unit is workable you just have to get a good combination going. When i use eternal guard i have my high born and bsb in the unit making them stubborn along with a lore of life mage with the rhymers harp which gives everything in the unit a 5+ ward save. it works really well deploy it 6 wide and wacth you win combats its a holding unit mostly but ive had it kill a unit of 8 minotaurs led by a doombull

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

That's such a statistical aberration, I'm not entirely sure how it happened, to be honest with you. The Minotaur unit you describe should annihilate Eternal Guard in 2 turns. 3, at the most.

Unfortunately, EG are just plain terrible. Their peripherals look great (WS5, I5, Ld9? Wow!), but at the end of the day, it's how many guys you kill vs. how many guys you lose, and S3 doesn't kill anybody, and T3 dies to everybody. They are priced like a combat unit... but they actually can't fight. I ran a simulation that pitted 40 of them with the setup Lukes1504 against a Horde of 40 Savage Orcs with a Lucky Shrunken Head Shaman and a Black Orc BSB not that long ago. They're projected to lose by 20. Bear in mind that the Savage Orcs are cheaper. To prove it's no fluke, I ran them against other solid Core-heavy units (40 Gors with AHW's and the Beast Banner BSB, 40 Saurus Warriors with a Scar-Veteran, 40 Dwarf Warriors, 50 GW Khorne Marauders), and not only did they lose every fight, they did so by at least 10. Not worth it, ever.

I'm definitely with kently in that you want lots more Glade Guard. The scouts are nice, but only once you have the standing ranks filled out. BS4 S4 shots are actually fairly threatening to most things, especially when move-and-shoot doesn't apply a penalty.
    Last edited by rothgar13; March 26th, 2012 at 02:56.
    "The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast