SSC The Enchanted Spring - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Leader Roboute Guilliman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

The Diary of Brandt Koehler 2512IC

Includes the special character "Vahlyn the Wrath of Winter" as an ally, and the terrain piece "The Enchanted Spring"

2nd of Erntzeit

I stumbled across a very interesting book whilst browsing the college archives this evening. It was the diary of a Bright Wizard, such as myself, who had discovered a strange and enchanted spring in the forests of Athel Loren. Apparently when he drank the water from this spring, it opened his mind and unleashed his magical potential. It granted him with complete comprehension and mastery of the wind of Aqshy, and even some knowledge of the other winds. But then it ends. There is enough written for me to find this enchanted spring, if it does exist, and although it may not, it is still worth making sure. The Empire must possess this power.

13th of Erntzeit

I am camped at the edge of the Athel Loren by a large ancient stone, the starting point on the way to the spring. It is twilight. The diary said that from this point, one must navigate by the stars, as the forest never stays the same. So we wait for nightfall. Two score state troops is all I could muster without arousing too much suspicion. The College did not approve of this expedition; they believed the existence of such a thing to be absurd. Well we shall soon know the truth of it.

14th of Erntzeit

A terrible night. Half the men have disappeared without a trace, no one saw a thing. The forest whispers to us, plays tricks with our minds, and all the while shadows watch us from all around. From glade to glade we went, but between the glades with the stars obscured, it's easy to lose your way. I don't want to admit it to the men, but I don't know if we've gone the right way.

15th of Erntzeit

Victory! We have found the spring. Although we did run into trouble on the way. During the night we chanced upon the glade wherein lies the enchanted spring. It seemed illuminated from within and was beautiful to behold, but it filled the glade with an eerie glow. We all sensed a danger at that moment and we formed a defensive circle beside the spring. Then we were charged on all side by what seemed to be the forest itself. It ripped and tore at the flesh of the men and dragged them screaming into the darkness. I let out a mighty cry and smote the enemy in all directions with the fire of my rage. The forest withdrew shrieking and hissing back into the darkness.
    The Men reformed the defensive ring and watched and waited for another onslaught. That was when I thought I should seize the opportunity to drink from the spring. But as I went to kneel at the waters edge, a large root burst from the ground and slammed me back. Dazed I looked up from the ground to see that the huge tree by the edge of the water had turned to look down at me. The men all cowered in terror. It raised its root up again and slammed it down as I barely managed to scramble out of the way, but the tree caught me with another root, and lifted me into the air. I summoned a flaming sword of Rhuin and started hacking at the mighty limb as it flailed me around wildly.
    Then when I thought it was the end, I summoned all my remaining strength and cast a devastating Flame storm on the tree. The fire crackled and roared, and consumed the mighty tree. It freed me from its grip and I flopped to the ground like a limp corpse. The tree twisted and wreathed in agony as the fire devoured its body, and when its life finally slipped away, it fell down into the enchanted spring.
    I was close to death. My men still stood staring in fear. I thought that the water of the spring might be my only hope of surviving now. I dragged myself painfully to the waters edge and sipped at the water. I felt a surge of energy spread through my body like fire. I felt my body growing stronger and my mind getting clearer. I felt all that was promised in that old diary. I am enlightened.
    All the men saw the miracle of my transformation, and they too drank the water, and they too shared its effects. Although not to the same magical degree, but it mind and body they were renewed.

16th of Erntzeit

Despair. Today we marched for home, but I now know that I will never get there. Twelve men there were who drank from the spring, and now they have all become a part of the forest. One by one, skin turned to bark, hair to leaves, legs to roots, and I too have started to turn. I sense that the spirit of that mighty tree now lies within me; I know this because he speaks to me in whispers. I feel like my mind is slipping away from me, but I feel glad and free at the same time. Thoughts of fire and destruction are becoming thoughts of life and rebirth. I'm alone now. I have somehow made my way back to the spring. An elf has been watching me. When last I looked at him he spoke to me in my mind. He said "I Vahlyn, welcome you back, Lord Ragnhild"

Last edited by Roboute Guilliman; May 8th, 2012 at 12:59.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Well from the sounds of it you could do some kind of influence from chaos or a tainted relic the wizard found (he may or may not be aware of such things). Alternatively you could have it be some kind of lord / king type person that wants to be granted magic powers he doesn't currently posses in order to increase his power within the empire.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    553 (x8)

I'm not familiar with Empire fluff but are their wizards ambitious enough to seek such things on their own accord? I want to steer clear of chaos. Everything is always chaos chaos chaos

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x3)

You could completely avoid Chaos, no doubt.

Perfectly fluffy would be an Imperial wizard trying to ... shall we say ... obtain some sort of elvish magical artifact that exists at the location in question. He would be doing so in order to return it to one of the colleges of magic.
    I will drink your milk shake! I will drink it up!
    I just bought my wife a mini-van, the gods of Chaos have nothing on reality.

Poet of the Deed Captain Corrigan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

Empire wizards are essentially men, and like all men they have the same weaknesses (perhaps more so given their exposure to magic) and so it is perfectly reasonable for him to be seeking an artifact for his own ends out of ambition or greed. Depending on your choice of artifact, you might find any one of these wizard types useful:
    - Bright Wizard - since they are renowned for being as fiery as the magic they use, he is likely to be rash and impulsive enough to go solo. Since they are also the most commonly used on the battlefield according to the fluff it is also more likely that the army would respond to his request for support.
    - Grey Wizard - as shadowy as their chosen lore. This could create some interesting intrigue if he has manipulated the men under his command into following him through illusions, and depending on his ability his control over them might be somewhat tenuous.
    - Celestial Wizards or Light Wizards are the most likely to pursue an elven artifact given the nature of their own magic, however they are also the least susceptible to corruption, or ambition.

I can't see as many uses for the other lores, I hope this helps. Good luck.

-Corrigan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

i would say a beasts wizard, going off in to the wild to find something seems exactly like what they would do. they are usually shut offs from society and only really care for themselves. ( and there own power...)
    5000 Pts of Undeath descend upon you....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Luyp View Post
    i would say a beasts wizard, going off in to the wild to find something seems exactly like what they would do. they are usually shut offs from society and only really care for themselves. ( and there own power...)
    This would be the obvious choice I suppose, but I deliberately avoided mentioning it because it would mean he would probably be going solo so there would be limited scope for other characters.

-Corrigan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

553 (x8)

I've decided to do a journal because it will be really really easy lol. One question, what are the months called and do they have the same amount days as our months? I know what the year will be (2512), i just need months to name

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

If you can wait until tomorrow I can dig out an article listing all months from the imperial calendar. Failing that, try Lexicanum?

-Corrigan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

553 (x8)

that would be great, I checked Lexicanum and I couldn't find anything. if I cant get names I will just use numbers. I feel that doing a journal wont do my idea justice but I can't be bothered doing anything else lol. If I had more time I might have done something in present tense. but meh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast