Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
i have ended up with a set of dryads and i have 3 left over that i want to convert into treekin to save myself bout 50 quid. i have read people saying that just add on a few extra branches and put him on a 40mm base and there ya go.
my problem is that looking at the models i feel that just sticking on a few extra branches doesnt give the model the imposing look a treekin should have.
i was wondering could any1 give me a few suggestions to try help me convert my dryads into big imposing trees!!any pictures would also be fantastic
Padie, I took a similar approach using the old metal dryads. Here's a link to my WIP thread (ignore the first conversion, it was my first time using greenstuff!). The basic approach was as follows:
1. cut off the feet at the ankle
2. trim the pointed edges off of a toothpick. then cut the remaining section in half.
3. attach one half of the toothpick to each leg using greenstuff. Position the toothpick so that it makes sense considering the morphology of the model (knee and foot should be pointed the same direction, center of gravity should be balanced)
4. wrap the toothpick in greenstuff and place a ball of greenstuff on the bottom.
5. press the model onto its new base so that the ball of green stuff secures it (it likely wont stand on its own yet, you'll have to have something support it for the next few steps until it cures).
6. smooth out the ball into the leg so theres a natural tansition.
7. use a sculpting tool to segment the ball. stretch, form, and bend these segments to start to look like roots.
8. add texture to the greenstuff to make it look like bark.
9. allow the figure to cure.
10. add small bits of greenstuff to enhance the roots. make them longer, more complex, or smooth the transition into the rest of the leg.
1. take multiple strands of florist's wire. twist together to form basic structure of branches.
2. there should be a "trunk" to you branches, where all the strands come together. Place a ball of greenstuff around this and press the wire frame into the back of the model.
3. texture this greenstuff. I like to add holes/branch scars in the tree by poking a toothpick or pointed tool into the greenstuff and pulling outward gently. Vines are pretty simple and self-evident. Moss/lichen can be done by just stippling the greenstuff gently.
5. Tertiary branches: you can either have branches split by ceasing to twist two strands of wire together or you can add additional thin branches by adding wire to the existing wireframe using greenstuff. If you take the greenstuff approach, do this now and allow to cure.
6. wrap greenstuff around the remaining wire frame and texture.
7. post blurry pictures of your model on LO.
Like I said, this has given me moderate success with the old metal dryads. I'm assuming a similar procedure would work for the new plastic dryads, but you might have to make the branches a little thinner or bulk up the model a bit for it to look right. Let me know how it goes, and if you have questions about how I did/am doing my conversions. Post pictures if you do this (although the modeling subforum might be a more appropriate location). Best of luck
cheers thanks a lot i will start out on one model as a practise ( i have 4 drayds and only intend to do 3) and i will see how it goes. i will try upload pictures but i am notoriously lazy when it comes to that type of thing!!