Old Time Player Getting Back Into Game - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm new to this board, obviously. Nice to meet everybody.

Anyway, I began collecting citadel miniatures in 1996 and didn't really start playing until 1997 (I played space marines and eldar for 40k, and wood elves for fantasy). However I never really got that into fantasy, and I have played many many more 40k games than fantasy games. However that was not even 3rd but 2nd edition, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

I've decided to stick with fantasy for a while (wood elves), and see what comes of it. I have some dusty old miniatures, and I've recently bought some new ones as well (basically I have a little painting to do....)

So I go to a local gaming shop (not the one I went to years ago, I think it went under or something), saw a high school friend that apparently was still into the hobby and played Vampire Counts and numerous Imperial 40k armies. There was a sign up sheet for a 2000 point tournament, so I said what the hell and signed up. The fact is that I have never even played under the new rules before (though I've read them). Anyway, here's the army list I put together. Tell me what you guys think of it.

2000 points

Lords
    Forest Lord โ€“ 531 points
    Shield of Ptolos
    Acorn of the Ages
    Spear
    Light Armor
    Green Dragon

Heroes
    Glade Guardian โ€“ 118 points
    Hail of Doom Arrow
    Shield
    Light Armor
    Spear
    Elven Steed
    Bladeweaver โ€“ 165 points
    Blade of Fury
    Mage โ€“ 167 points
    Elven Steed
    Level 2
    2 Dispel Scrolls

Core
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Glade Riders w/ Horse Masterโ€“ 121 points

Special
    2 Great Eagles โ€“ 100 points
    5 Wardancers w/ First Dancer โ€“ 89 points
    8 Dryads w/ Forest Spirit โ€“ 176 points

Rare
    7 Waywatchers โ€“ 140 points

total: 1997 points

Does it have enough archers? Do you think that my selection of combat troops is capable of breaking that one key unit which wood elves normally need to win? I've never really been an offensive magic heavy person, but does anyone think that would be a better way to go in this case? Also I was thinking about an experimental idea (for me, at least) of using a mage as a scout surrounded by a unit of waywatchers, therefore having infiltrators that can actually do MORE than just shoot at war machine crews. Vulnerability seems to be the issue though, I'm not sure. Anyway, you have my permission to tear this list up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

You have plenty archers for starters but you have some things to consider.

Heroes:
    You are paying 50 pts just to get an extra attack with the blade singer, and that is a bit of a waste.

I see you have a scroll Cadi, there is no point in making him lv2, alone he won't cast things off.

I see you have 2 mounted caracters and 1 cav unit, so you might want the mage on foot to hide him next to or behind units.

The forest lord as the shield of Ptolos, wich looks nice on paper, but when someone shoots at a dragon, it's with bolt throwers and cannon balls, no save there. You might want to give him the vambraces of lightning instead. and the hunting spear instead of the arcorn, makes him a shooting machine with the dragon's breath.

The Glade Guardian Is geared for combat, a Sword of Might could make him a good punch.

5 glade riders won't stir up alot of CC resolution, you want 2 ranks with full command, so 8 with the glade guardian would be fine for this job.

2 more wardancers would make the unit more though to take down.

Oh, and BTW welcome to LO.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After thinking hard about your suggestions, I've decided that I agree about a lot of them. However, I do not plan to use my lord on dragon the same way you seem to like to use him. With me he is purely for combat. With wood elves the biggest obstacle I come across is actually dealing decisive damage to the opponent (compare with other elves). You have to make sure that, when the right time comes and everything is lined up, you can do significant damage where it is needed (as you can see by my previous lack of command with my glade riders I payed more attention to damage than to CR but then again a lot of wood elf players don't care about CR either and just shoot arrows). If I wanted the lord to fly around and shoot things I'd just put him on the eagle (true the eagle can't breathe green smoke, but come on....5 S6 attacks?)

The combination of the dragon, dryads, glade riders and wardancers (or three of the four anyway, preferably) have to break an enemy unit in one round or you pretty much lose. Anyway, I'm not an expert, but from my experience with wood elves in the old game that was what I had the best success with (though at that time I owned no dragon, and just used a treeman, a unit which as of late has fallen out of favor with me do to its insufficient number of attacks).

Anyway, tell me what you think of this new list

Lords
    Forest Lord โ€“ 564 points
    Acorn of the Ages
    Amber Amulet
    Sword of Might
    Additional Hand Weapon
    Light Armor
    Green Dragon

Heroes
    Glade Guardian โ€“ 118 points
    Hail of Doom Arrow
    Shield
    Light Armor
    Spear
    Elven Steed
    Mage โ€“ 120 points
    2 Dispel Scrolls

Core
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    7 Glade Riders โ€“ 212 points
    Full Command
    War Banner

Special
    7 Wardancers w/ First Dancer โ€“ 119
    5 Dryads w/ Forest Spirit โ€“ 116 points
    5 Dryads w/ Forest Spirit โ€“ 116 points

Rare
    7 Waywatchers โ€“ 140 points

Total- 1995 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Much better, but some things you should consider.

Your lord can't use an extra hand weapon with a magical weapon.
    You'll want to fligh the dragon around for 3 or 4 turns because he causes Terror, so you might as well equip him your the spear to do this, the acorn of ages isn't very good without mages to move it around.

I would try to get 6 or 7 dryads as a minimum, since 5 might not take a full frontage, or last missile fire.

The waywatchers do better in units of 5, easier to hide 2'' in woods, and this would allow you to put more dryads in your units.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are your dryads on small or large bases? They used to come with small bases, but I bought some recently and the bases were large. That sucks because now I can't match up as many of them to the opponents troops. That was my reason for making the dryad units 5 strong- it seems as though with more you'd often be wasting attacks in combat. Even if you have 6 dryads, how many men would the front rank of the opponent's unit have to be so that'd you'd get all your attacks in, like 8? Do you think there are enough units with that large of a front rank for more dryads to be worth it? If you have already thought of these things and still recommend larger dyrad units then pardon my ignorance. I was just going to keep the two units close together and trade a higher chance of panicing for increased maneuverability. I guess I could do six a piece (I only own 12)...I just can't see using 7 or more.

I guess the dragon's terror causing would be a good thing not to waste. I also didn't realize that magical weapons combined with additional hand weapons were not allowed. I can see the advantages of the hunting spear, but ugh, he doesn't get the +1 strength on the charge then... Oh well he has a dragon.

Lords
    Forest Lord โ€“ 553 points
    Hunting Spear
    Vambraces of Lightning
    Enchanted Shield
    Light Armor
    Green Dragon

Heroes
    Glade Guardian โ€“ 136 points
    Hail of Doom Arrow
    Sword of Might
    Light Armor
    Shield
    Elven Steed
    Mage โ€“ 120 points
    2 Dispel Scrolls

Core
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    7 Glade Riders โ€“ 204 points
    Horse Master
    Standard Bearer
    War Banner

Special
    7 Wardancers w/ First Dancer โ€“ 119 points
    6 Dryads w/ Forest Spirit โ€“ 136 points
    6 Dryads w/ Forest Spirit โ€“ 136 points

Rare
    5 Waywatchers โ€“ 100 points

Total โ€“ 1994 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Well Wood elves aren't exactly killing machines in combat, the dragon will do the job.

Also 6 drayds will take up all the frontage of your opponent, and rebember corner to corner counts also. to have 6 or 7 is to have more than will get there, sometimes missiles can hurt.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just made a new list without the dragon. If anyone wants to give it the run around I'd be greatful

Lords
    Forest Lord โ€“ 283 points
    Hunting Spear
    Shield of Ptolos
    Amber Amulet
    Light Armor
    Great Eagle

Heroes
    Glade Guardian โ€“ 136 points
    Hail of Doom Arrow
    Sword of Might
    Light Armor
    Shield
    Elven Steed
    Mage โ€“ 120 points
    Dispel Scroll

Core
    6 Archers โ€“ 78 points
    6 Archers โ€“ 78 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    5 Archers โ€“ 65 points
    7 Glade Riders โ€“ 204 points
    Horse Master
    Standard Bearer
    War Banner

Special
    7 Wardancers w/ First Dancer โ€“ 119 points
    7 Dryads w/ Forest Spirit โ€“ 156 points
    7 Dryads w/ Forest Spirit โ€“ 156 points

Rare
    Treeman โ€“ 250 points
    6 Waywatchers โ€“ 120 points

Total โ€“ 1995 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

I see you went for the treeman instead of the Dragon, but you will have to watch out for the lord, he will become much more fragile.

The treeman is good but as only 4 S5 attacks, wich isn't very good Vs T4 or more troops, but the ''bash'' can deal serious damage to chariots or other big guys. Be careful on the tasks you send him at.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have kept the dragon but hey its your list .
    "Fight like gobbos"- Skarsnik

+ Reply to Thread