Glade Rider idea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glade Rider idea

I'm gettin the battalion when it comes out (don't know when), it should be around $100. you get all of the core choices except for eternal gaurd. The glade riders should be good in small games by running by and shooting with arrow's. And it got me thinkin. Would this tactic work...

The battle plan would be the GR's running by a big enemy unit and shooting them from short range, but being just outside of their charge range. basically run around them while whittling them down with arrows until their too weak to fight the blocks of infantry they were trying to get to grips with. but it all depends on the enemies mobility, if very moble then won't work they'll get outmanuvered and killed.

let me know if it sounds good or like a suicide tactic. Thanks

Peace in :p

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should harass the enemy unit with bows and then when it goes into close combat with an infrantry block or another unit charge it in the flank or the rear with the GRs. The opponent may run due to panic and you also have an additional +1 or +2 in combat resolution. Also as u said the big unit would lose men from being shot at and easier to kill. U could also stop the enemy marching by going within 8' of them i think. Good idea

Beware of enemy cavalry protection the flanks though!!

Senior Member taint_of_the_dark_ones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Well, I can't realy comment if this is plausable or not yet, untill I see there stats for myself. You may find however, that this tactic will fall away in favour of another, so untill you see the book, i'd wait . Cheers,

Taint

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Glade riders are still likely to be fast cavalry though, and will still have a bow regardless (they are wood elves after all). Its a sound tactic to use for many armies, or they can be used to bait frenzied units etc. The only drawback is they are quite killable as they have low toughness and little armour, so them getting shot up back is quite likely.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Strange though, in the latest WD there's a battle report. Wood Elves vs. Orcs and Goblins. And no mention of the Wild Riders shooting at anything. Of course, I did have a splitting headache and nodded off right after finishing the report, so perhaps I overlooked it. It seems strange, though, that they'd be given just spears and no bows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im guessing that the Glade Riders will be more versatile (bows, spears, march blocking) while the wild riders will be more the heavy damage dealers, but from what ive heard they have tons of special rules accompanying them so this could come in many forms.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Had a look through the army book yesterday and wild riders don't get bows, whereas glade riders do. I think both are classed as fast cavalry though and as wild riders are forest spirits they get a 5+ ward save.

Fast cavalry are very helpful in any army.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Okay, thanks. At first I didn't realize there was a difference between wild and glade riders. I'm told my army book arrives Monday, within its army box, so I can straighten myself out then.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

The wild riders look pretty useful actually, 5+ ward save (as it would appear that all forest spirits get, and worryingly a treeman is classed as a forest spirit).

Quite a lot of stuff in the army has ward saves, wardancers dances have been tweaked a bit, and dryads no longer have aspects but are core choices. Eternal guard look a bit tough (for elves) as they fight in 2 ranks with additional hand weapons and if a character joins them they become stubborn.

Some of their items are pretty bent as well, lots of stuff that does wounds with no armour or ward saves (thats right, or ward saves).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Cries*, I preordered the book but I cannot find when it will get to me. I live in the US, eastern coast. I know that UK and France are supposed to get them soon, and I see that some folks have it already (probably from the army deal)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast