I suffered my first loss yesterday. Boy did I suffer. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I suffered my first loss yesterday. Boy did I suffer.

Well, after tweaking my list, one of my buddies challenged me to a game. I had never fought Brettonians before, and alot of his special rules caught me off guard, but I think I'll be better prepared for next time.

My list has been tweaked a bit since I got some new WayWatcher models:

WayWatcher Noble
    -Hail of Doom Arrow
    -Sword of Striking? (-1 to enemy armor save)

12 Glade Guard
    -Musician
    12 Glade Guard
    -Musician
    12 Dryads
    6 Scouts
    6 Waywatchers
    6 Glade Riders

Brettonians (Uhh, I really don't know the names of things, and his characters never saw combat, so I don't know what they had)

Battle Standard Bearer on a horse

Damsel on a horse

11 Knights Errant ? (Must pass Ld check to restrain charges if enemy is in line of sight)

6 Knights (Characters went in this unit)

24-26 Peasants with Halberds

20 Skirmishing Archers

Again, no battle report, just highlights.

-I got first turn! Okay, this was automatic, but I didn't know that Brets sacrifice the chance to get first turn to get a Ward Save. This really messed me up as I had altered my army's deployment in case I got second turn.

-The Damsel irressistable forces a spell where any unit within 12" of a forest takes D6 S5 hits and wipes out five of my six Glade Riders. (Later on, this spell would claim the lives of four Scouts, and several Dryads. This spell is the bane of Wood Elves, as we really rely on terrain to fade and fight.) (I also learned later that this spell isn't supposed to work on Dryads and TreeKin.)

-The Skirmishing Archers kill my Waywatcher Noble with a lucky roll despite needing 7s to hit and 4s to wound. I didn't think he had that many shots, as I thought the Archers had 24" Bows, not 30" Longbows. The Noble didn't even get to fire the Hail of Doom arrow.

It was pretty much downhill from there, as my WayWatchers failed to net any killing blows and that 2+ armor of the Knights was just ungodly.

Retrospectively, I think WayWatchers are too expensive for 1000 pt games. The cheapest unit is 120, and that only gets five models. You're probably better off sticking with Scouts for march blocking at this small sized game and using the points you'd use on WayWatchers for cheaper units, like Dryads or more Glade Guard.

Looking a little closer at the Wood Elf magic equipment, I think it's nearly standard to put the pendant that makes it harder to hit onto a WayWatcher Noble. This would result of at least a -3 to hit penalty if he's in the open (single model, Forest Stalker, pendant) or a -5 if he's in wooded terrain (single model, Forest Stalker, pendant (-2), cover). I think the pendant also incurs a Ward save, but I'm not sure.

That Tree Whack spell is nutz against Wood Elves. Kill magic users with this spell ASAP as it incredibly alters our ability to use woods terrain to our advantage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poor baby.

That tree killy mabob thingy sound REALLY annoying... Perhaps some more magic defence on your part?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Eh... you're talking about Master of the Wood, because that is the spell the Damsel used. Dryads and Treemen are immune to the effects of that spell.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlinspike
    Poor baby.

That tree killy mabob thingy sound REALLY annoying... Perhaps some more magic defence on your part?
    Whatever dude! I pwn you in the face with my weak magic defense! HAHAHh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that pendant i think is the light armour briarsheath. if so that isn't legal as waywatchers arn't allowed to wear armour. as soon as i realised this i screamed, as it meant no invincible-like waywatcher lord. probably the reason it was put into armour
    Ok fellows we have a difficult task, so we have to be more deadly than everyday.
    Make mistakes and confuse the enemy - The Doctor
    Tactics are nice but it is violence that wins the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that the model hasn't been released yet, but I think that a Treeman would be a good thing to field against a Bretonnian army. You do have access to the Tree Kin and they would probably be good too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MobiusPrime
    Whatever dude! I pwn you in the face with my weak magic defense! HAHAHh
    No need to go all crazy on me for just SUGGESTING that some more magic might help.

Besides, a branchwraith could add some magic AND more close combaty goodness to your army. How's that for swiss army unit. But hey, you play however you want to play. Fine by me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Marlinspike
    No need to go all crazy on me for just SUGGESTING that some more magic might help.

Besides, a branchwraith could add some magic AND more close combaty goodness to your army. How's that for swiss army unit. But hey, you play however you want to play. Fine by me.

Dude, I was just joking with ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Trade in the waywatchers for wardancers next time, thier killing blow can behead those knights, and thier charges gets them 3 S4 attacks a pop, no small thing to laugh when you need 3s and 3s, that quite few few saves of 3+ he needs to pass.

Loose that waywatcher noble, not worth the points, an atler kindred with a great weapon, heml of the hunt could put a bigger dent is is shining armour, and a wardancer noble too.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    Trade in the waywatchers for wardancers next time, thier killing blow can behead those knights, and thier charges gets them 3 S4 attacks a pop, no small thing to laugh when you need 3s and 3s, that quite few few saves of 3+ he needs to pass.

Loose that waywatcher noble, not worth the points, an atler kindred with a great weapon, heml of the hunt could put a bigger dent is is shining armour, and a wardancer noble too.

All good points. And for anyone reading, this will really work to beat the Brets. I've seen WarDancers in action, and they can really dish out the death. And as a skirmishing unit, it's not as hard to get a charge against cavalry as one might think.

However, personally, I don't think I'll ever get/use WarDancers. As saucy as they are, I just don't like the models, and that's what really motivates me to make purchases.

Also, I'm not in the mindset to try and weigh my list in a certain strength in order to beat a specific enemy. I try to exploit a couple of aspects of the Wood Elves strengths (shooting, movement, march blocking) and beat my opponent using that, no matter who they are.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast