All tree spirit army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All tree spirit army

hey what do you think of the idea of an all tree spirit army. no elves at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

It's a very interesting aspect that can be explored of the Wood Elf Army.

If you're one to use special characters, taking the BranchWraith Drycha makes this a requirement of your army.

Personally, I shun on special characters, so a mighty Treeman would make a very cool general.

Just be aware that when making the all Tree Spirit Wood Elf army you really limit yourself on the units you can take. Anything without the Tree Spirit would be taken out of the list. This limits you to Treemen, Branchwraiths, Dryads, TreeKin, Wild Riders and Eternal Guard (do Eternal Guard have the Tree Spirit special rule? I can't remember.)

So you'll have little shooting (limited to a few special Treeman attacks and Spites) and few ways to cancel ranks.

Still though, it sounds like an interesting way to play Wood Elves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do any of the spell casters get the tree spirit special rule. I probably want all of my modles to look a lot like the dryads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive got an all gnoblar army, so i think this would be cool
    Creator and Head Patriot of USA Clan
    Head of Rap in the LO Music Clan
    "What can I say, I'm a repoholic. Just can't get enough of that repohol."
    I want everyone to remeber why they need us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Drycha's Army allows the following choices:

Lords:
    Drycha
    Treeman Ancient
    Wild Rider Highborn
    Glamourweave Spellweaver

Heroes:
    Branchwraith
    Wild Rider Noble
    Glamourweave Spellsinger

Core:
    Dryads

Special:
    Treekin
    Wild Riders

Rare:
    Treemen

That's how I remember it, IIRC. Every single thing listed is a Forest Spirit.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

It would be one of those armies that would be very "fluffy" but I am not sure how well it would perform in a game. You are removing too much of the balance of the army by removing shooting and making virtually everything skirmish. It would certainly take people off guard though.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

If you do play with Drycha, her ability to summon her army into forests after the game starts could be a game breaker.

It's not that it will always be very good, but, on the other hand, it's so different from how a Fantasy army is supposed to work that, with a suitably forested board, it seems like it would be extraordinarily difficult for many enemies to deal with.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

You should read a battle report by eagletsi over in the incoming battle reports thread. It pits HE against Forest Spirits wood elves. The forest spirits were creamed. We could all point out a number of reasons, but the most telling to me was this:

The only quasi-ranked units with any flanking power are treekin and wild riders, and guess who will be the targets of magic, warmachines, and concentrated missile fire? You got it, treekin and wild riders. Once they're gone or severely weakened, there's nothing for the dryads to rely upon, except other units of dryads. Now don't get me wrong, I love dryads. They might be the best combat skirmishers in the game, but against any ranked unit, you're relying on really good dice rolling to get enough kills, along with a flank or rear bonus, to win CR. And that's if you make it past the first turn. My dryads have bounced off of witch elves and chaos warriors like a ping poing ball.

Another thing the WE army relies on is missile fire to soften up the enemy before dryads, treekin, eternal guard, wild riders, or whatever get into the fray. Without missile fire, the FS army is at a big disadvantage.

Overall, I think the all forest spirit army is really tricky to play with and relies even more than the standard WE army on coordinated attacks.

Fluffy, it's fantastic. Aesthetically, it's extraordinarily cool. Pragamatically, well, that's another story.

I know that I'll probably try it out one day, but I'm sticking to a mix of things until I learn to play with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

I am not too concerned about concentrated fire, I've learned to screen with dryads early game, and only moving them out when the time is right. They'll tkae any type for fire, Skirmish, T4 and a 5+ ward save to boot, they'll hang in there long enough for most of my important unit to make it relatively untouched.

Also, I just love moving forests to block LoS, drycha can cast it 2 times bound, then another with her magic phase, and the branchwraith and treeman once more.

The treeman as done treesurfing to avoid getting shot by a cannon, and when he got out of it, it was to flank charge ( that's right US 5! ).

I won't say this will be a game breaking army, but it can work quite well when properly used, and I still got some way to go.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't screen with anything for WE! That defeats their purpose of being able to move through all terrain. Besides, a 4 5+ ward save screen isn't that great when compared to a t3 6+ armour save screen that can be taken 6 for every one dryad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast