How Fast? help plz!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

How Fast? help plz!!

I am looking to start playing woodelves. I want an army that is practically untouchable. I want to hit hard, cause alot of damage, and get away super fast (if any of you play BFG, I want something like the Eldar Fleet). I use an all cavalry High Elf army, and wouldn't mind getting my hands on some wood-elves. Trouble is, I don't want to spend all my money and not have what I want.

So it really boils down to this: Can they ACTUALLY play a hit-and-run game (compared to most armies)?

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai
    I am looking to start playing woodelves. I want an army that is practically untouchable. I want to hit hard, cause alot of damage, and get away super fast (if any of you play BFG, I want something like the Eldar Fleet). I use an all cavalry High Elf army, and wouldn't mind getting my hands on some wood-elves. Trouble is, I don't want to spend all my money and not have what I want.

So it really boils down to this: Can they ACTUALLY play a hit-and-run game (compared to most armies)?
    Yes, they can. Of course running is hard unless you're beaten in battle, excepting Warhawk riders. Have you seen the Wood Elves Ambusher Tactica on the GW site? It details ideas for building just such an army, one that largely or entirely skirmishes, relies a good bit on missile fire, and utilizes flyers and cavalry, which, of course, for the WE are all fast cav.

And with wild riders, wardancers, and dryads, you can still have significant combat ability, just without ranks, outnumbering, and such.

What units do you have in mind?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I am sure some people in this forum will disagree with me but I would say that WE while they can field an all cavalry and flying army they aren't "hit and run". Their cavalry really isn't strong enough to survive the fights. The cavalry is more shooty and works best if you wear down the opponent for 5 turns then hit'em hard in turn 6. I don't think WE will work good if you try to hit your opponent, flee, and try to hit them again. The core cavalry just isn't strong enough.

Geronimo, look out below. Here comes the brother with the offbeat flow. I just fell from the mother ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

In my opinion, you were right about one thing - some of us wouldn't agree with you.

Glade Riders can't take a charge from the front, but are useful for Flank and Rear charging. Wood Elves are about creating battles on your terms and avoiding the otherwise. In other words, Glade Riders can run when it suits them and can charge when it suits them, without as much fear of being overrun as some other units.

Still, you have a point. Glade Riders aren't exactly the toughest units in the game, which means that they usually have to be used in conjuction with other units such as Eternal Guard to make a difference in melee. However, you might as well make use of the spears that they have.

Providing they charged (and it should be them doing the charging), Warhawk Riders automatically break off in combat if they lose - without pursuit - and have the option of doing so if they win and are pretty good at eliminating artillery. The particular rules are specifically called "hit-and-run".

Also, most of the Wood Elf army is comprised of Skirmishers, making them extremely versatile. This is perfect for a hit and run army as it allows freedom of movement.

If you compare the types of troops Wood Elves have against other armies' available troops, such as Dwarfs, you'll find that Wood Elves will generally have a better potential for a hit and run army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have fairly low expreience with weeds, but I can tell you this:
    Two other armies of this style are Tzeentch Daemonic Flying Circus and the All Skink Army of Doom. It is absolutely no fun playing against or with them. I should know, I owned both before changing them to a more balanced (but still skink heavy) Lizzie list and a Horror based Tzeentch list. You want to go heavy on Skirmishers and FC, that's fine, that's classic Weeds. But a true ambush army will have people walking away wherever you plonk down your army case in no time.

EDIT: And don't EVER say "plz!!" again, or god help me I'll hunt you down and gut you like a fish!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

OK, time to defend myself.
    When I was talking that elves aren't hit and run I was talking about a mounted only army. CaptainSarathai had a HE cavalry army. I thought he was asking if he could make a good hit and run cavalry only army. I don't beleive the WE have a unit that allows them to be strong enough to hit and run. The cavalry are best at moving and shooting.

Geronimo, look out below. Here comes the brother with the offbeat flow. I just fell from the mother ship.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Thanks guys. I read the Ambushers Post on GW a few evenings ago, and found it very helpful. You guys helped me too though when you mentioned the different types/styles of cavalry.
    Thank-you for warning me that people will run. I knew that some people would be turned off by the prospect of such an army. There are two things that I place comfort in, first, I have played against the Skinks, and using some different strokes, still got the boot in. Second, I always carry two armies when I go to the shops, so if somebody whines, I can pull out the Elves (not the all mounted ones. That's still too cruel:rolleyes: )
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread