help! 2nd generation slann! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help! 2nd generation slann!

hello,

on the 4th of febrauri i am playing a battle against lizardman, as part of an friendly tournie. now have i found out that he will be wielding:

2nd generation slann-mage :w00t:
    6 kroxigors (as one unit)
    saurus worriors
    temple guard
    saurus cav
    skinks
    and some more stuff...

Now is my quetsion:
    should i focus on the slann and temple guard or o he rest of his army?
    also any advice, tactics and other stuff is GREATLY appeciated.

please help me out!

Elfwarden

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Well, if you kill his Slann, he can't win anymore - the best result he can achieve is a Draw.

Also, a kitted out 2nd Gen. Slann tends to cost about six hundred and sixty points. It is also likely to be both the General and the Battle Standard Bearer of the army, meaning that killing the Slann's unit will ensure you over 800 Victory Points.

The decision is yours, as the Toad and the Guard are both Stubborn on Ld9 AND mean, both in the Close Combat and Magic phases.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Whenever I hear about someone using a Slann, I usually hear that there are two or three other 2nd level Skink Priests backing him up. If your opponent doesn't do this, good on him for breaking the cheesy norm.

Anyway, Stubborn is a very frustrating rule to get around. The best way to beat Stubborn is with Fear. A Treeman and some Wild Riders into the flank should make short work of any kind of victory the Lizardman player hopes to achieve.

Edit: Also remember that he is Stubborn on Ld 9 with Cold Blooded, so Fear really is your only reliable counter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

the best way to go around that Leadership 9 on 3 dice and stubborn unit is through fear. use wild riders and dryads, getting some flank charges with the wild riders and hit the front or rear with a unit of dryads.

Only attempts this in the later stages of the game, try to avoid is units during the first 4 turns, and take out any and all skinks before hand.

You can also tenderise the the temple guard with a hail of doom arrow before you get in.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

The only way you are going to kill the mage priest is by over running the unit, that thing has a ridiculous toughness and more wounds than you can shake a stick at. What you need to bare in mind if that so many of his points are tied up in the temple guard and Slann that the rest of the army will be relatively weak so try and score your victory points from them. Lizardmen are quite unpleasant in combat so if you do charge it will have to be decisive because 2 attacks each from strength and toughness 4 lizards will really hurt elves.

I would take a lot of magic defence and several archers, and watch out for chameleon skinks as they smell
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Wold Pack's right. To get rid of the TG and Slann unit, you need fear. I've never killed a Slann, but I have run one down, and that was with my VC army. I'd bring the house on the Slann, wild riders, dryads, and wardancers. First, I'd let fly with round after round of arrows, including the hail of doom arrow. Then them out. Also, read the FAQ's. Slanns can be targeted in a TG unit with shooting as they are large targets.

As for the kroxes, well, you know the WE saying...pick your battles. I'd just avoid them with everything other than a treeman.

Back to the Slann, kill off any skink priests. They're easy pickings. Use warhawks and/or eagles to dash in there. Or dryads. I'd sacrifice 8 dryads to kill off a skink priest. The Slann will be targeting through them, and you'll severely hamper his magic phase by getting rid of the skinks.

Maybe a spell weaver with the wand of wych elm. ANd a scroll caddy.

I haven't found LM too difficult (though I haven't faced a Slann as my friend quit using one after a couple of lousy performances). The only really tough unit for me has been the salamanders, with those flammable attacks on my treekin and treeman.

I use my archers to run off skinks. They're easily slaughtered and can cause a lot of problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a LM player and looking at the kroxigors this is a bad decision on your oponent's part. Two units of 3 would be much more benificial to him. It should be a lot easier to avoid a single unit I'd advise doing that. Otherwise if they are 2 far from the slaan use ur fancy high elf tactics to get some flank or rear charges and beat them in combat res. they have like Ld 7 so if you can get up by say 3 points they'll break.

The slann should either be completely avoided or send a great deal od your army at is, don't just throw a unit in combat with it as this will acomplish nothing(seeing as you are using WEs I wouldn't imagine you'd do this under most circumstances anyway).

Thinking about it in just killing power I think the LM have more potential than WE(never looked at the book) so from my experiance where LM loose is combat res. Skinks are jsut a nusense and with T2 shouldn't be much of a problem to eliminate. I'm also surprised your oponent doesn't have salamanders as their flaming attacks could do a lot of damage to your "tree units". If he does end up fielding them, they aren't GREAT in close combat so you could jsut kill them with a non-flamable unit.

Hope i was of some help.

Edit: Just to add the slaan may have a 2+ save against anything not in combat with the unit, just remembered that when some1 mentioned shooting at it.
    Last edited by Evan8433; January 25th, 2006 at 20:45.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he has two slamander packs (i just heard it today)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well for a start, I would imagine the slaan will have the magic banner that allows the unit to cause fear....(I would take it seeing as the unit costs so much) so you can probably forget outnumbering with fear causing dudes. As for salamanders, just get into combat with them. They do have S5 and T4 so it won't be easy in combat either but they only have 2 attacks each, so chances are they could only kill 2 or 3 guys. As for Kroxigor, I wouldn't let a treeman get into combat with them! (I actually don't know what a treeman is like but I doubt he can stand up to 9 S7 attacks...or can he?). Well, you can shoot at the slaan even though he is in a unit because he is a large target....so you may be able to do something that way...I would just look out for the salamanders really, they WILL do a lot of damage to elves (on average a unit of three will score about 16 hits and against elves 8 wounds at -1 to armour save...) and the slaan unit of obviously a problem. If the slaan unit doesn't have the fear causing banner then try to outnumber them with fear, otherwise you are facing stubborn Ld9 cold-blooded guys who can re-roll break tests (BS.
    I hope my pecamistic (spelling?) rambling was of some use :shifty:
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slann are really tough especially when kitted out to the 2nd generation. I think youre best chance is to try and take him out early on before his fromidible casting power over powers yuore army. You should also be careful if you commit youre treemen or treekin to him as youre opponent is likely to take the lore of fire since youre wood elves. You could try using eternal guard against his temple guard as they will strike first with 15 attacks if you have 5 in the front rank. If youre luckt there may not be a unit champion and you might be able to challenge him, he will die quick if you have the spirit sword and are lucky. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread