Starting a small Border Patrol... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Starting a small Border Patrol...

Hey, all. After being acquainted with 40k for some time, I figured it's time to move on to Fantasy..

One of my friends has an Empire army. Another has Lizardmen. And the third is just starting up the new Dwarves... so, I decided to go along with them, and grab some of the good ol' Elves.

I wanted to get some suggestions before I go ahead and start buying models - I don't have the army book (yet!) but I have a fair idea of what is included in an army.

For the Border Patrol, I was considering a "Scout" theme - literally, a Border Patrol. No Forest Spirits, mainly ranged combat, skirmishing, ambushing, and staying out of CC. Would this be feasible?

I don't know the points, but I was thinking about something like this:

-Waywatcher Lord
    -Glade Guard (bows)
    -Glade Guard (bows, scouting?)
    -Waywatchers

Very simple. Would it be effective at all? I might include something else, if I were to have the points, but that is my main idea for the Border Patrol aspect.

Do I need CC when it comes to the world of Fantasy? All of the other armies will most likely have some form of hand to hand unit - am I gipping myself by taking only archers, or is it an effective strategy while using the WE mobility to my advantage?

Also, any advice on taking out Empire, Lizardmen, and most especially the new Dwarves (they looked.. scary) would be greatly appreciated.

For his border patrol army, the Dwarves player is taking a Hero that has some rune giving him a 2+ ward save against shooting attacks... does this work similarly to an Invulnerable save in 40k? If so, how do I get around it, without having to get into CC with him? He's kitted for CC, so..

Thanks in advance, all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the ward save is invulnerable.As for your army list i do think you will need some sort of cc unit,cause dwarf and lizzie, ouch,both very cc oriented army whit toughness 4,which mean your arrow will have a hard time killing their mark.To stay whit your theme i would go whit a fairly big squad (7-9) wardancer instead of the waywachter,they can inflict an insane amount of hits.

Hope that help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by panzer96
    Yes the ward save is invulnerable.As for your army list i do think you will need some sort of cc unit,cause dwarf and lizzie, ouch,both very cc oriented army whit toughness 4,which mean your arrow will have a hard time killing their mark.To stay whit your theme i would go whit a fairly big squad (7-9) wardancer instead of the waywachter,they can inflict an insane amount of hits.

Hope that help.
    Sort of, but I was kind of trying to look away from the Wardancers - they don't seem fluffy enough for a "Scout" type of thing, and I don't really like the idea of the unit all that much. I like 'em, but not enough, if that makes sense.

And, though I don't know what the rule Killing Blow actually does (don't have my rulebook on me), wouldn't the Waywatchers have a decent time killing T4 and such with that? I can't be positive.

I was thinking along the lines of keeping away from CC as much as possible.. maybe, with the points, I could add some Glade Riders.. or... more Glade Guard, with spears. Or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I am not sure if Border Patrol allows mages. If they do you should include a mage instead of the waywatcher lord. If it doesn't I would suggest you make you hero a CC hero to finish off opponents after the Arrows wound them. I would say a Dryad Hero with a Spite that gives her terror.

Geronimo, look out below. Here comes the brother with the offbeat flow. I just fell from the mother ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by IamJasonK
    I am not sure if Border Patrol allows mages. If they do you should include a mage instead of the waywatcher lord. If it doesn't I would suggest you make you hero a CC hero to finish off opponents after the Arrows wound them. I would say a Dryad Hero with a Spite that gives her terror.
    Well, I was trying to go for a theme - while I know it limits the effectiveness of the army (it usually does), it'd be fun to play, and include an even higher depth of strategy needed to win.

I'm kind of looking forward to that, to be perfectly honest.

Is it possible to be effective by using the base units I listed above?

I mean, I could do a Mage, and it could, potentially, fit after some getting-together of fluff... but, characters are limited to a total points value of 125, and I'm not sure if I really want a Mage in there.

I'll have to look through the army book when I get it, but, I kind of want to stick with the whole "band of scouting archers" type deal. Asrai only, I'm hoping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello,

welke to the forest.
    Fisrt things first. CC is an important fase of WH.
    If you want a themed army, why don't you take an winter theme?
    Droping the wardancers there is another great asrai (WE) CC unit: Eternal guard.
    A unit af GG (can't have spars) or two as missle fire and EG as CC-unit. take an EG noble and voila.
    Like this:

Eternal guard Noble 80

10 glade Guard 120
    10 glade Guard 120
    14 Eternal guard with either a champion or standerd 180
    total 500

You have a lot of shooting and the EG and Noble can handle themsleves in CC.
    Hope it helps

Good Hunting!

Elfwarden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want to keep your shooting them then keep gg norm gg (scouts arn't worth the extra points in these low games) i would get a mage as it is more fluffy for them to take in a scout army (or any army) as they are needed to open the paths through the forest plus the magic will help (especially treesinging), and lastly the eagle riders as they can shoot so they keep to your theme plus they would make excellent scouts (the image of eagles flying overheard telling what they see through a mind link with the mage is just too cool).
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Thanks for the suggestions, all, but I really would like to just keep it as a "Scout" type of army.. or Patrol.. something like that. Not necessarily a winter theme, at least, not yet. Maybe later on, when I start playing it more.

And I really, really love Waywatchers. The models are alright, but I love the idea of them to begin with, and I think they fit in with this army reasonably well.

With using something like the below, would it be possible to be effective? Not necessarily super-competitive, but able to win with (and fun to run around):

-Some sort of Mage/Noble
    -Some Glade Guard archers
    -Some Waywatchers

Then, whatever else I have points for that I think still fits the theme.

Would it be possible to simply stay off the major CC type stuff for a game this small, and focus on the mobile shooting of the WE? Or do I really need a CC unit to win?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well its possible but the problem whit waywacther in low point game is that they will take a big chunk of your points. 10 waywatcher take about half of your 500 pts .....so its up to you.
    Just hope they dont make it to cc whit any of your unit,otherwise your toast.
    Let slip the dogs of war.
    Bretonian (over 5k points)
    Tomb king (over 5k points)
    Ogre kingdom (4.5k points)
    Tyranid (3k points but not even half assemble,new army)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah the models aside waywatchers suck and there is no way i would give up a rare choice to feild them.
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast