Need help: Trying to start Woodies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

Need help: Trying to start Woodies

hey all, ive been trying to start up a wood elf army, which is pretty balanced taking all comers (especially a Forest Spirit army and dark elves). This is what im thinking to get (a particularly small army i think):

32 Wood elf glade guard. (ill probably make some of them scouts)
    8 glade riders
    16 Wood elf dryads.
    1 Wood elf lord.
    2 Wood elf Spellsingers
    1 Wood elf standard bearer
    18 Eternal Guard
    9 way watchers

As you can see, i try to make the army quite shooty, but whilst maintaining a cc element to it(the eternal guard, dryads and glade riders). Just wondering if these units that im getting are worth it or are they just a waste of points. Im did consider warhawk riders and wardancers - but to my opinion they arent worth it - but you can enlighten me. :sleep:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Suess

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

That will be a fine army. You should be able to spend most of the game not even in CC so things should work out well for you.

Geronimo, look out below. Here comes the brother with the offbeat flow. I just fell from the mother ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you dont know what you want for sure for an rmy, you cant go wrong with buying practically all the basic core units. This way you can try them all out for yourself and see if they fit into your style of play that your looking for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the army sounds fine. You may want to try playing soem small gaems to see which units suit you best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking good. I personally like wardancers though.

^click it for warhammer central^

Anime Clan. Join it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a good list but I have some comments. (yah know, 2 cents)

First I would get your total eternal guard up to 20 for a fine block unit, or 19 and add a highborn. I have been playing a lot lately and the glade riders are not for cc. They can't handle anything unless you gang up and win. If they are stuck for the next round, forget it. I would field two units of 5 glade riders or a unid of glade riders and a unit of Wild Riders. Use them together.

The whole key with WE is never get into combat unless you know you will win. There is a tendancy to get hammered if you screw this up. You are a rapier army that requires finess but the reward is great if you win right.

To start, Glade guard should be two units of 10. then a unit of 5 scouts. On top of this, a unit of waywatchers. Use the GG to draw enemys to them down shooting lanes. Use your fast cavalry and scouting units for march block. Shoot as the enemy draws near and hit them with two to three units at a time to break them. If you don't run them down, they will turn back around and just have to get shot again, and again, and again. You need to make that the slowest 24" to cross they have ever faced.

Position yourself so you may unleash all your arrows a turn into one unit hopefully making them flee.

Hope this helps a little.

Yank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I actually really like that idea... good work! I have used that strategy but the way you put it made it flow so easily. But yea, I would take his advice.

Anime Clan. Join it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

cool thanks. About the glade riders, i personally dont really like them, cause 1) theyre expensive gamewise for what they do, and 2) i dont like painting horses (cause i already had enough of painting them in my 2000pt brettonian army). So unless glade riders are absolute essencial for a wood elf army ill try to restrict the horses i try to paint.

I like to idea of woof elves as i can shoot the enemy to almost nothing, and go into combat against a quarter of the opponents forces, making them muhc more managable. I havent played a game with wood elves yet, so ill take the advice form you guys

But i also have another question...should i bring treekin and/or a treeman in 2000pt games or are those for games for over 3000pts, are they worth their points (and money for that matter)??
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Suess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont take them in 2000 but that maybe just me, they are rather pricey, but I know others that swera by them.

Anime Clan. Join it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi,

nice list
    About the glade riders, they are to fragile (IMHO). the best cav WE have are the wild riders. but Glade riders are not essential, but do take something fasts, because WE is a fast army.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast