Ally confusion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ally confusion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Ally confusion

In the Rare choices of the Wood Elf Armies book it says that WE can take DoW regiments as a rare slot and it also says we can ally Bretonnian (i hope it's true so i can use grail knights)

i read somwehere this isn't true though, can someone shed some light on our ally choices for me, cause i am now very confused about what units from DoW and Brets we can and can not take.

(also would it be worth it, i know great eagles are good too)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yes, great eagles are great, and so is a treeman, although he drains a lot of points. But for rare slots, I'm not a fan of WWs.

Anyhow...

On page 59 of the WE book, it says you can take DoW but doesn't mention Brets. And I don't think it's anywhere else in the book either.

As for what units are available, you'll need to check the DoW rules (go here for the (Dogs of War Index)DoW index).

Certain units are available to certain armies, and it depends entirely on the DoW unit entry.

Are you thinking of a RoR or just something like a pikemen unit?

As for RoR's, are you thinking of Voland's Venators. Aren't they Brets? You could take them to fill that rare slot.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; November 22nd, 2006 at 06:28.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x1)

hmmm...

that's what i thought but... i am quoting here the lines which confused me [side note: this does not void copy write as i am using less than 10% of the book]

"In times of great need, the Wood Elves may ally with other races, most commonly their Bretonnian neibours. Sometimes they will even have need to hire the services of a Dogs of War regiment" p59 Wood Elves Army Book

anyway, to me that says i can take brets as allys

(voland and his knights are neither brets or empire but serve themselves, although i did consider them.)

also, don't know what i want to take. With ally rules what am i allowed to take from an allied army (i assume only core units but hopefully not) :shifty:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

You know, I think you're right. I read the passage you cited and have to agree that you can take Brets.

When I first read your post, I guessed that the passage you quoted came from a fluff section of the book, but I was wrong. It's in the official army selection portion of the book.

If that's the case, then go for it.

You know what'd be cool, don't you. The Green Knight. He's cheaper than a 1 Treeman or 5 WWs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x1)

That would be great, i didn't even think of that.

i use skaw in my army, but it may be worth taking the green knight (and he'd look cool with a WE colour scheme)

I have to go into GW tomorrow, i will ask then if they think it is possible. Where else could we check? I want to move into brets one day and allying is a great way to transition armys without having to spend heaps at a time

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

I've played Skaw a couple of times and really liked how he performed. Even so, I think alters are more vulnerable under 7th ed rules. I know that I'm running them less often.

The Green Knight would also be vulnerable, but at least he'd ignore mundane missile fire.

I think you should reread the rule for the Green Knight and make sure that he'll fit your battle plan. He's a cool character, but he still has him limitations. As the GK loses wounds like undead, he can't charge in all by himself like a treeman can.

And what idea did you have for grail knights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x1)

i am very new to the whole warhammer scene so i am not the best tactian, but i was going the use them as my front runners, they would be quick and be able to draw attention away from big threats such as my war dancers or dryads.

(or the other way around, use them to flank and destory anything that my war dancers and dryads are attacking) Depends on who i am facing.

my mate plays von carstines (you do too right?) and with alot of undead i like to pick them off from a distance, but nothing can stand up to his lords or heros. so again distraction (hard hitting distraction)

i am still in 6th Ed. rules though (i need to get myself a 7th ed book)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Yes, I play VC, too. If you want to kill a VC lord, take a character with the annoyance of netlings.

A highborn with a great weapon will wound a vampire count on 3's. Take the helm of the hunt for an extra attacks. The amber pendant is great in case you go into extra rounds of combat against a vampire. Then you strike first and barely get hit in return.

The trick to killing a VC lord is taking it out in 1 turn, before the VC player gets a chance to use IoN to heal it.

It also means magic defense to stop IoN, which is where a cluster of radiants on a lvl 1 branchwraith is great.

A real tough monster to throw at a VC lord is a Treeman Ancient with annoyance of netlings, cluster of radiants, and murder of spites. You'll get a pile of attacks and wound on 3's.

Another option is a wardancer with amber pendant and blades of loec. Rerolling failed wounds means more of a chance for killing blow.

Against a single vampire you can charge with a regular dancer, a bladesinger, and a highborn. Take the killing blow dance.

The highborn, bladesinger, and regular dancer will account for 10 attacks on the count. 6 or 7 of those should hit, and some of them will reroll wounds thanks to the blades of loec. If you've taken the killing blow dance, there's a good chance that you'll stake that vampire through the heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x1)

i should start challenging more, but i don't quite understand the rule (plus he always puts his main scary vamp with about 30 zombies)

oh well. i am just seeing what i can do with my army. none of this ilsts that are on the army list thread excite me. Kind of like my witch hunters, i want an allied Wh/Dh force but none seem to stand out to me.

saying that i should be writing my own list anyway, i am just being lazy... that and i am still working out how things work and what works with what. Woodies are a tough first army, but i waited 3 years for the new models and army book.

looking around Glade Riders seem unpopular, is it due to the rule changes?

anyway, i think were a little off topic. I hope that we can get come cool new lists involving brets now (if it is legal) because i think they could really strenthen a WE army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this idea of taking Brets, but when I pose the question to other people they say that it is in there for fluff reasons.
    I would really ike to know for sure, 'cause I have been wanting to get some Brets but never had a big reason to, now if this was true I would!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast