Got a game vs. Brets need advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a game vs. Brets need advice

I have a 1500 pt game v. Brets coming up this weekend. Need help putting a list together. What should I include?
    Thanks

I have no idea what he will have.:ninja:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

run and hide i say :lol:

seriously though that is actually the best advice i can give hide in the woods and generally out manuver them (knights have a phobia of trees and arn't known for their pinpoint turning)

wood elves magic units are treeman and kin (anything that can reduce a knights save really) the lore of loren is incredebly annoying (i'm startin brets trust me ) mmm not much else i can say except don't under any circumstance take mounted anything and expect it to go toe to toe with even a lowly knights errant cuz not even the usally mighty wild riders can't hold a candle to the mighty sons of bretton
    Last edited by Plague_00; November 27th, 2006 at 12:50.
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you're only playing 1500 points, your options are pretty limited. That being said, I would be torn between a treeman (which the bretonnians probably cannot break) and the waywatchers (who have killing blow bows which hit on 2+'s most of the time).

Wardancers are also a must because of their killing blow abilities.

Tactically speaking, I would build mostly small units that aren't worth a lot of points. That way, when he charges with his lance formation, you won't be sacrificing that many points. You can then countercharge him in the flanks and have a good chance of winning the combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brets are one of the more difficult armies to play against with Woodies.

First i would suggest to search this forum, i can remember a large discussion about woodies vs. brets.

Anyway.

You're key to victory is to outmanouver them.
    Deploy the forrests at you're disposall to disperse the enemy. Do this with treesining.
    Then attack them peacemal:

sugessted units:
    wildriders--> they are faster and hit hard.
    wardancers--> use KB and their many attacks.
    scouts/waywatchers--> marchblock them to slow them down.
    Treekin/treeman--> their high T and S allows them to take the brest head on. The treeman's stubborn will let it fight on it's own.

I would use a treeman as a rare choice, it's intimidating factor is huge and he rocks (both with strangleroots and CC)

Get some chap unit's of GG scouts as core. let them be charged and then flee. then you can attack their flanks.
    GG units itself can be nasty to with their S4 arrows.

Hope it helps
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

In my gaming experience, my best luck against brets has been with the following...

Treemen...big nasties that are hard for brets to hurt, even when charging.

Treekin...more big nasties.

Archers to flee charges, letting TK and TM counter charge.

Dryads for flanking. There higher str lets them sneak a wound through bret armor once in a while.

Wardancers because they have killing blow when they charge or a ward save when they get charged.

Alter nobles with great weapons. Add the amber pendant to one and you can even take a charge from a small knight unit and surprise the heck out of him when you go first. Of course this works better with a highborn who has more wounds and can take more goodies to keep him alive. A noble will probably do two or three wounds and then die mercilessly.

You need to lobby for a 2000 pt game! Then you can take two treemen, more special units (treekin and wardancers), and a highborn.

A highborn, maybe on an eagle, with the bow of loren and arcane bodkins can slowly shred a Bret army. Five attacks with the bow, four or five should hit, two or three should wound, no armor saves, panic tests begin.

I'd deploy any archers back, maybe 8" instead of 12" to buy time with their shooting. Eventually they will kill something, even if takes time.

All this comes from playing a lot of games against brets and getting my butt kicked a lot of times. I kept tweaking the lists, and the best one I had used lots of treekin, two treemen, war dancers, and dryads, the two alters I mentioned, and very little magic. Even the guy who kept kicking my tail (well, one of the two guys who kept kicking my tail) said that was my best list against him...maybe because it was the first one to win a game. :wacko:
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow you guys must have faced really bad bret players

the wardancers first off are too few in number the knights lance formation just gives them too many attaks for them to survive

the treeman is easily taken care of by a unit of knights errant with an errantry banner usally 8 str 6 attacks immune to psy minimum will see off even the most ancient of tree daemons...er sprite

tree kin are a pain no arguments

like i said even a knights errant will tear up a wild rider and use his organs like a harp there only hope is to charge but that still leaves em open to countercharges, flanks etc

the archer tac is good just becareful wood elves have a rather nasty temperment and might decide to head to home a lil early

eagles are situational they are great fun till the brets bring on the pegasi if you don't know what he runs then keep em cheap just in case

the suicidal alter heroe isn't exactly very fluffy but in a tight spot could work wonders just hold him back till late in the game when suicidal charges are neccesary to keep your glade guard safe

elfwardens advice on attaking peicmeal is good if you can block the knights support then you'll find them much easier to beat oh and also never under any circumstance allow one of your units to charge in alone even things like treekin/man can only do so much the knights will eventually wear them down without help
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take two treeman in my army, and i haven't lost against a very skilled bretonian player. He said "i just can't beat two treeman", doesn't help him i also have some treekin too.

The two T6 treeman and one with annoyance of netlings are very hard for him to do real damage against except for a lucky shot with his catapults.

The two treeman with 5 str 6 attacks and strangleroot, wild riders with 5 str 5 attacks on charge with 2 static CR, and the STR5 treekin can definately deal some wounds on his high armor save knights.

I also have 3 bound level 3 treesing as well as i can cast treesinging 2 times at d3+2 with my spellsinger ( i use 2 power dice each) and 1 time with my brainchwraith(1 power dice). 6 treesings will definately trip him up when he's trying to manouever.

Here is what i took
    Lord = 350
    Treeman Ancient + Annoyance of Netlings

Hero = 315
    SpellSinger + Level 2 + D Scroll + Calaingor's Stave = 175

BranchWraith + Level 1 + Cluster of Radiants = 140
    Core = 528
    1x10 Glade Guard

3x8 Dryads
    1x5 Glade Riders
    Special = 640
    1x7 Wardancers - 126

1x6 Wild Riders w/musician/standard bearer/warbanner -199

1x3 Treekin
    Rare
    Treeman
    Last edited by DavidWC09; December 9th, 2006 at 17:42. Reason: Some point totals removed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yeah, treesinging has worked well for me against brets. It lets you shut down parts of his army you want to ignore and focus your attention where you want it.

The two treemen and treekin work well in my experience, too, but my wild riders just seem to bounce off the flank of knights. If they don't get enough wounds on the first turn and find themselves stuck in combat, they'll never pierce that armor.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread