Need help against a good dwarf list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Need help against a good dwarf list

So Im having trouble coming up with a strategy for putting the beat down on a friend of mine. We always play in good fun, but we like to stay pretty competitive too. This time, hes come at me with a list that is nails.

His list:
    2 units of warriors, 1 unit of Longbeards, 2 units of Thunderers, 2 Bolt Throwers with the rune that gives them +1 to strength, a Grudge Thrower with a Master Engineer, a Gyrocopter, a Cannon with a Master Engineer, and the infamous Anvil of Doom with a Rune Lord.

Basically, he just camps everything on a hill with his Anvil in the back of the rest of the army. He puts the Grudge Thrower and the Cannon on either flank because theyre unbreakable. In the very front, he puts his unit of Longbeards with the Warriors on either side of them. The Bolt Throwers are usually paired up somewhere on the hill as well, next to the Thunderers. The Gyrocopter just flies around and tries to be as annoying as possible.

Honestly, Im having trouble thinking of a way to beat this army. The Anvil and the Grudge Thrower dont need line of sight, so sitting behind trees is still risky. Taking too many forest spirits is another chance, because the Anvil's hits count as magical, negating their ward. Only thing I can really think is to take some flying units... Warhawk Riders and an Eagle perhaps, to try and get rid of the warmachines. Perhaps get a large Wardancer unit with the Moonstone to pop up right next to him and kill some stuff. Other than that, Im at a loss.

Help is welcome, lol.

Current Wood Elf Tourney List: 3/1/3

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

First off I will take my obligitory elf shot at Dwarves. "There is no such thing as a good dwarf so there is no such thing as a good dwarf army".

With that out of the way I think you need to take advantage of the trees in pitched battles. Just setup the tree and push it into him. Also, I am not sure of your setup rules, but if you can take the hill. If yuo can't just surround it with trees. I mean if he is going to abuse his hill, abuse some trees.

One of the problem with grouping guys so close is that if you cause 1 to panic then other have to test for it. I suggest you focus all shooting on the middle unit and hope it does the job.

I really don't have much against dwarves as most of my dwarf opponents field more units then the big weapons.

Geronimo, look out below. Here comes the brother with the offbeat flow. I just fell from the mother ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warhawk riders and any other cavalry or flying units will destroy him. Against an army such as that you will want to get straight up there and beat him in combat. Wardancers are also good with a 10" marching move and keep them in some sort of terrain and just spring out of no where attack the war machine crew.

hope this helps
    (\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I regularly play against dwarfs and although the list is slightly different I think you will be able to beat him with few tricks. First a nice big unit of wild riders, about 8 strong in my army bring it up on a flank and watch his flank die to your fear causing charge.

As Iamjason said, get some treesinging going and put a forest in his face. Wardancers might die a little easily to the Anvil so dryads are probably a better option. A treeman hidden behind a forest is good his bound spell can help move that forest. Also, using a spell like call of the hunt can be good if you are confident of making a charge with it.

Anyway, thats my tips. Hope it helps.
    "Incoming fire has the right of way"

Witch Hunters 23~15~4 W/L/D
    Join me at Unification wars!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's good to see your stuck on me mate's list! (All dwarfs are mates...)

Now, down to beating it. I don't know too much about wood elves (other than they are very sneaky and annoying), so...

How much terrain do you usually use, and what models are in your collection (or available).

Answer that, and i'll give it a shot.

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Wardancers might die a little easily to the Anvil so dryads are probably a better option.
    Dryads will die even easier to the Anvil. Its attacks count as magical, so they dont get the forest spirit ward save...:cry:

As for my forces, I have pretty much everything and anything I dont have I can proxy. Im really beginning to like the idea of flyers/fast cav/wardancers. Speed and combat proficiency, a nice combo.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

The grudge thrower needs to see enemy in the direction it's firing.

But yeah, it's a tough list. Sorry I can't be of more help

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

So I played my Dwarf buddy last night. I didnt have a list written up, so I just threw something together. I had:

A Highborn with the Rhymer's Harp and an Annoyance in a unit of Eternal Guard, two units of 9 Wild Riders each with a Wild Rider Noble on a Stag, 2 units of Glade Riders, 1 units of Wardancers with a Wardancer Noble with the Moonstone, and a unit of Warhawk Riders.

I had some serious trouble getting into battle, simply because of all of his artillery. The Warhawk Riders were pretty much useless thanks to the Anvil.

I eventually got every unit in to combat (except the Glade Riders, but they werent there to fight anyway), although I suffered quite a few casualties from shooting. The fights didnt go so well.... A unit of Warriors acutually ran down some of my Wild Riders.... Ugh. It was all bad, from start to finish.

Although, I was very impressed with the EG unit. They made it all the way to the Dwarf line through Bolt Throwers/Cannon shots/The Anvil. Im thinking next time I'll give them another noble in the unit with the Moonstone, perhaps? Get them to combat super quick.

Anywho, to sum it up, Dwarf armies with lots of artillery are rough, I dont recommend it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I've used two alters with great effect against dwarf shooty armies. Basically, they charged a flank and laid out a pile of str 6 attacks. If you can hit the thunderers in the side, you have a great chance at breaking them and rolling down the flank.

The moonstone's a good idea. That's the other way I really fouled up a dwarf player once. Totally flummoxed him when those wardancers popped in the middle of a forest between his lines.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

If done correctly, i have found that it is impossible to beat a static shooting dwarf army. I have seen 3/4 of my army destroyed in a single shooting phase, or have had 1 dwarf hero take on over 120 shoots from glade guards without taking a single wound (over a course of 1 game), If done correctly by a Dwarf veteren, you out of luck. I have only beaten dwarves once, and that was out of maybe 6-8 battles, and excluding dwarves i have a win precentage of about 90%

Now that my rant about dwarves is over:rolleyes: , i think that trees will be your only protection. Set them up in a almost flat line across the table, and use it for cover. Other than that, i cant give any advice, because all my statagies have failed horribly.....
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast