March Blocking - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: March Blocking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

March Blocking

I have heard how Wood Elves need to slow the enemy down so that we get more turns of shooting, and so that we can engage the enemy on our own terms. But my only question is: How?

Shure the simple answere is 'get within 8" of the enemy' the only problem is, at 8" you are a prime target for being assaulted (unless there Dwarves, then you can dance around all day). There is the banner that makes it 12" but realistically, how do I march block without getting my squads assaulted, or are march blockers sacrificial units?

As an asside, my army includes no flyers, as they seem the obvious answer...

Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think you would probably move just of range during the next move. Thats my take on it. Perhaps use trees as well?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Unless you're trying to march block other skirmishers, then you can typically just keep maneuvering out of your enemy's front arc, thus preventing your march blockers from being charged.

And if you can't get out of the front arc, the unit will charge you, and you'll flee - in which case your enemy has devoted an entire unit for 2+ turns to dealing with scouts. Most players I know just stomach the inconvenience and ignore my scouts, plodding forward at their march-blocked pace.

This is why I love scouts. Besides, if a shooty enemy wants to waste a turn doing an about-face to shoot me, it's normally worth the points for scouts to tie up a gunline for a turn. Even when they do that, they'll still be at -2 to shoot you, so you may come out on top.

But hey, could just be me... march blocking is one of my favorite ways of messing with an opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

But that's the problem! If I'm within 8" I'm within charge range (unless as stated previously they have a movement of 3). My most recent game was against Oger Kingdomes, and I'm pretty shure that if I was march blocking them, they were eating me!

What I need are ideas, should I quickly move my Glade Riders behind the enemy's formations, as they are Fast Cavilry, and move almost as fast as flying creatures, oh yeah and they can shoot...

Here's my list to see what I will be fielding: LIST (2000 pts for a Tournament)

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the most recent list.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

With that list, it'll be difficult to do a lot of effective march blocking. I almost always march block with scouts (especially with the banner of zenith), and sometimes waywatchers (though they're very rarely worth their points).

If I was using your list, I'd stand back and let my arrows do some talking for me while setting up a few fun traps with trees, treemen, and wardancers. Scouting units are pretty key for march blocking, since they can (terrain permitting) start out blocking, or move into blocking position pretty quickly. Trying to use your one unit of fast cav to march block is probably a needless sacrifice - they should try to stay alive long enough to see a juicy flank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I use a series of scouts that flee charges to slow the marching. It actually works well at breaking up the enemy's lines and allowing you to pick one unit off at a time as they come in Short Range of the GG bows.

Geronimo, look out below. Here comes the brother with the offbeat flow. I just fell from the mother ship.

+ Reply to Thread