Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
next week Im going to be playing a 3000 point game against lizardmen with a guy who apparently cleans up the table pretty well! (not a powergamer just knows what he's doing!)
anyway, I have never actually played lizardmen and to be honest dont know a heck of a lot about them except they are pretty magic heavy!
so the way they play here is to not see the others list until the game so dont exactly know what he's fielding except i know he has a pretty tooled up Slann general that hes good at keeping alive! i have a pretty big wood elves collection so for a 3000 point game i can take a lot of options. But im still coming back to the game after being away since the 3rd edition and even though ive got the hang of the new wood elves list and can do pretty well Im at a bit of a lost with lizardmen as they are sort of new to me.
we are also going to be playing with the lustria rules which im not too sure about either! Sounds like its stacked against me but i opted for that just becuase the guy has a pretty groovy gaming board set up that i would enjoy playing on even if it is an utter massacre!
ANy tips on tactics, what to watch out for and what i should bring along with me!
I AM LAZY!!!
Whooo buddy, noticed your rant below. No need to fly off the handle. You will find that late at night I rarely will ever make an intelligent post. I always come back with in 2 or 3 days to edit it into something worthwhile.
Also it takes 3-4 days to mobilize the WE community to answer questions.
Sooooo to your questions.
1. Due to the poison I choose not to take anything that uses their T for protection.
2. Due to the salamanders breath fire abilities I don't use treemen or treekin. If I find a need to use them I work hard to keep them away from teh Salamanders, or I work hard to kill them as quickly as possible.
3. I make a point to bring a Spirit Sword for any game against Lizardmen. It is very effective at killing Skinks. Also the Stegadons and Salamander hunting packs all have a leadership of 5. You are guaranteed to at least tie them. I have managed to kill a stegadon in 1 attack with this sword.
4. I use blocks of EG to man up against Saurus. For once you will actually be able to line up point for point. Just make sure you use Dryads to prevent flanking attacks from Skinks.
5. Use shooting on Saurus Cavalry. They are a huge point cost for any lizardman army. They are also not heavily armored for their cost. So it is a good way to rack up the VPs.
6. I try not to take to much magic against Lizardmen. They just always beat me at it. In 3000 pts I would take 3 Spellsingers loaded with Dispell scrolls. I also would only ever try to cast the easiest spells.
7.Ummm. I don't have a #7.
due to positioning in a campaign i have been playing recently, i have a great deal of experience fighting lizardmen but he usually plays a southlands list so tactics are a bit dif. im also heading out the door so i'll make this quick
- use doom arrow on a skink unit and kill a it wholesale with goodluck or the majority with bad. thus leadership test
-starfire arrows are also nice against leaderless skinks
- if hes skink heavy, the woods are as much as his friend as yours, unless you have around two tree singers or whatever theyre called and the right items like calaingors staff, i think its called or we'll just say the re-roll staff.
- if he's going magic heavy tree singers arent going to do much except maybe keep a few of his spells from casting.
- the dryads fear causing will hurt the skinks but goodluck getting the saurus to run away
-keep skirmishing shooters far away from the salamanders (as skirmish does jack agaisnt artillery dice) until youre ready to take em out in a turn or two.
- use waywatchers on the the armored dudes and the saurus(sp?).
-remember skinks have little effect on dryads cause of their immune to psych and the ward save but expect to loseabout 4-5 on the chase.
- never charge saurus head-on unless its with a bait unit and you better be damned sure to hit the flanks with something heavy. honestly though saurus are slow so just shoot the hell out of them and dance around them.
-the alter kindred with great wep comes in handy especially with the shard that allows him to always strike first and helm of the hunt. annoyance of netlings is pretty sweet if youre gonna challenge but be wary of the saurus theyre not that tough but if you screw up and he gets to hit back you will die
- oh and use you glade riders to hunt down shamans
-you can and will outshoot them but poison and lack of armor is your hindrance as always
prob wasnt that helpful but if you have specific question about specific units/items/whatever let me know and i'll try to answer. im not that good at the game but i know what works and what doesnt
Last edited by Name; February 14th, 2007 at 04:40.
ok, can i just make a pretty big point.
if anyone thinks that every single new post on this board is going to be totally original and covering totally new ground they are dreaming.
on a different note,If any one thinks for a minute that every single element of the game has been exuasted by previous posts they are also...dreaming!
why do people even post anything here if they are expected to go over every single post in a search and check that every single little detail has been totally gone through and check off every little box and only then dare to post a message and hope and pray they arnt embarresing themselves by going over something that...OH MY GOSH!!!!!...has been covered before.
You think I dont know, dont suspect that this has been covered somewhere before??????
You think I didnt do a search for this???????
maybe, just maybe i dont want to read through posts upon posts? maybe i actually want to communicate and interact with other gamers across the world in an open discussion??????
maybe this will lead to some kind of bonding with other WE players who I will find out have had similar experiences as me!!!!
Are you telling me that nobody here has played against lizardmen since the last post on this subject???? that nobody has maybe discovered something new?????? that nobody has an interesting or amusing story regarding this topic that might have happened since the last post????? that there arnt some new players or players that didnt post last time this topic was on who after recent experiences want to post now!!!
you dont want to join in? fine, you dont have to!!!!!
anyone interested in chatting a bit about lizardmen versus wood elves and wasting oh so valuable space on this board please do!
sorry to rant!
I have palyed lizardmen alot now, and i know that if you want to win, you dont allow him to have lots of skinks. Skinks you say? Well, blowdarts with poisoned darts is REALLY powerful against wood elves. Strength three 2 shots for one guy are nasty, especially if your doing the charging. for magic, just spam out your list with wizardy characters, and you'll do all right. It would help if you showed us a list, i can work better with something like that.
Basically for tactics, if he uses saurus cavalry, flank with glade riders or wildriders, with the superior weapon skill and fast cav, youll cut down enough for no attacks back. DONT try to engage them head on, you will lose. For skinks, a volley of 10 from some glade guard is enough to usually panic a whole squad and have them flee. Saurus warriors, they are tough, i suggest having Treemen, treekin, dryads for this one( wardancers also work, but they would need to be support). Be sure to combine the charges with them, because the rank bonus is a real killer for any army. Magic, you wont be able to cast, but if you take enough, you will have lots of dispel scrolls and the like. You can hold off his superior magic, until your in close. For general tactics, you will be out maneuvoring him the whole time, so you will be able to pick and choose your combat. Make sure you can cause enough casualties, so their cold blooded doesnt matter.
"This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
185th Cadian Armored Div.
"One Shot, One Kill"
Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren
hey sorry was in a really narky mood becuase of work, I just saw the first reply and blew off some steam! didnt actually see the second, totally uncalled for anyway, yes i can see you were just making a joke!
anyway, thanks for the replies. in a much more agreeable mood today!