Deploying Glade Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Deploying Glade Guard

Hey guys, I was just wondering how every deployed their Glade Guard. Do you make one line of 10 guys or do you break them up into two ranks (5x2) or other. Also, another question is how many people leave their gg in the back and who tries to push forward somewhat for the streagth 4 bonus at close range? :yes:

Armies: Wood Elves, High Elves
    Warbands Campaign 07: 1st
    San Antonio Alamo GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

It really depends on how the terrain is set up and who I am playing against. If there are a few hills in my deployment zone i'll deploy in ranks but if there isn't i'll deploy in a straight line. I love the S4 at short range who doesn't??? I like the paint job on your GG very similar to mine!! :::REP:::
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Thanks. Always good to play to the terrain. Sine I have only played warbands thus far I never deploy with ten to a unit and of course only one rank or 5-8ish. It will be nice when i get my 1000pts together and fire 10 shots from one unit of GG...*wonderful image of saven fallind down in hordes comes to mind* :w00t: :yes:

Keep em' comin'
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I usually push forward with them. The str 4 shots accomplish a lot. Sometimes, I'll have them screen wardancers and dryads and have the GG flee a charge since they won't panic the units behind them. The problem with that is that they slow down the WDs and Dryads two or three turns.

I usually use units of 10 with a musician only. I like to try and concentrate them together so that I can maximize the damage they do in shooting, focusing on one enemy unit at a time.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

I put at least 2-3 units of 10 in each game and always string them out 10 wide. Even if there's a chance for them to be on a hill, I'll usually run them in a single rank. If I've got 3 units lined up, I usually stagger their advance to create a retreating fire line. Usually with this setup, people become preoccupied with my line of archery death and neglect some of my less obvious traps. I'll usually keep a unit of dryads back for counter-charges and flank protection. Eventually when one unit gets charged I'll either A) Stand and shoot if I'm likely to take down a lot of enemies, Flee and counter-charge with dryads, or C) Flee and open fire with the next closest unit (unless I'm caught, of course).

In the meantime I've always got some of the more powerhouse units (wild riders and wardancers typically), advancing on flanks. This combined with a couple of units of scouts or waywatchers throws a lot of battle plans into disarray, letting me pick my fights. Then again, I mostly fight bretonnians. This kind of setup works pretty well against them.

Like David, I never take anything other than a musician in my unit. The champion gets you almost nothing, and the banner will only end up being 100 VP's that your opponent really doesn't need.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I'm fairly agressive with my GG.

I deploy in ranks to start with (if on a hill, otherwise in 1 rank), I typicaly have 3 units of 10 and start them forward. I use them to bait charges, most people know they are there to bait them but when you have 10 str 4 shots comming out of the unit they can afford not to try and charge them. Then the drayds/wardancers/treemen pounce.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

Unfortunatly, i am always forced to deploy with a back rank now. It has gotten so annoying always having one unit of glade guard just stand there and do nothing. The long chains just are too long, and take up other spaces for my army. Now ive switched to having 2 groups of 12, this way i can have more other stuff, and its being going pretty well.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Thanks for all the input and strats so far guys. I'd have to agree that there is no point in taking any more than just a musician.

misanthrope09: I am a little confused one how a retreating fireline is more beneficial? (would look kinda cool though )
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

basically trodi, Wood elves will probably rally after running, and then turn they can turn around and keep firing. I would rather stand and shoot, but hey, if it works it works. I personally now with less shooting, i move up 5 inches, then get off a shot, then move up again (if necessary) to get within 15" . Then i have dryads move along side and march block the oppossing regiment. Then im free to either shoot, or move back slowly at 3 inches a turn. Works well, unitl something gets the dryads.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Misanthrope may mean that he backs up 2.5", shoots, repeats, etc.

The rules for turning let you essentially move sideways or backwards at half rate.

You can draw the enemy toward you and buy another round or two of shooting.

How far up do you players deploy them to start the game?

Against Ogres, I only go in maybe 6".
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast