wood elves versus wood elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wood elves versus wood elves

i am a wood elf player (surprise surprise) and i know how "bent " the army list is and when i go to my local shop there are several more we players. i can deal with them all apart from one who fields an all wood army . i can beat him with my vc but i need to know how to beat him with my wood elves so can you help me ?

his list at 2k is

treeman ancient

branchwraith lvl 1
    branchwraith lvl 1

branchwraith

12 dryads
    branch nymph
    12 dryads
    branch nymph
    12 dryads
    branch nymph

4 treekin
    4 treekin
    (possibly another unit of 4 i forget)
    treeman

all my models include :

highborn
    wardancer noble
    waywatcher noble
    spellsinger
    spellsinger

50 glade guard
    16 dryads
    6 warhawk riders
    treeman
    10 waywatchers
    9 wardancers
    10 glade riders

it is my birthday soon so i will be able to buy anything that i think i need . thanks in advance for any ideas . all comments welcome

WOOD ELVES

WIN:28 DRAW:0 LOSS:4

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Wow, 50 glade guard? How is this number broken down into units? I thought I had a rough time fitting 30 on a table sometimes. Against a forest spirit army, though, I'm betting a large block of archery might be somewhat less effective - at long range you're only 33% to wound his weakest unit.

Also, as fond as I am of waywatchers, I think 10 may be a bit much. Against an amy like this, killing blow isn't nearly as effective as you'd need it to be to pay for 10 shots, and 5 of them can march block just as well as 10.

Against an amy like this, I'd be very tempted to take a big unit or two of eternal guard with attached nobles/highborns. Seems like rank bonuses and fancy banners would go a long way toward getting you the extra CR you'll need to win some combats. At 2k I'd look at making the size of that unit 30ish with two nobles in it - one to kill things and one to carry the banner - give one the rhymer's harp and the other the HoDA and have fun.

A couple of thoughts on both lists - first off, it is refreshing to see a forest spirit amy that isn't drycha's army. Second, I've never taken, nor seen taken, more than 3 warhawks in a single army. How do you usually end up using them?
    Last edited by Cyric the Mad; April 5th, 2007 at 15:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks!good idea

that sounds like agood idead however eternal guard are so frail i think it will be difficult to break his units quick enough.first of all the glade guard are played as 10 * 3 and 20*1 (we play on 6 foot by 4 foot and there is genraly a building involved) the list that i posted was not my army list to play against him that is just the list of models that i have and i know using 10 waywatchers agianst him is a waste however you are right in saying 5 march block as good as 10. last of all i would like to say that i only use all six warhawks against tomb kings at 2k or vc at less than 2k because thoer hit and run special rule means that i can weaken his magic or make the army crumble early on in the game without it costing me a huge sacrafice.on the onther hand you do have to be carfull with them as a quick gaze of nagash or vengence can destroy your plans .....thanks anyway for the advice and i will have to give it a try .
    WOOD ELVES

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Yep... had I actually read your complete post, I would have noticed that. Apologies for the misunderstanding

Eternal guard can be very fragile, but giving them the rhymer's harp helps make them a little more durable. And in units of 30+, they can be fragile all day - chances are still pretty slim of them running if you've got your BSB in there.

So lets say you've got your 20 (5x4) EG vs. a treeman - with 6 hits and almost a guaranteed wound on each, you'll save 1 or 2 of them, giving him +4-+6 CR at best. Okay. Then at the end of the combat, you outnumber (1), have ranks (+3), and 2 banners (+2/+3 if you take a war banner), which gives you a static CR of +7 without inflicting a single wound. This will hold true against pretty much all of his units - use against him what works against my wood elves a lot: static CR.

If nothing else, EG are good at holding up enemy units long enough for flankers to arrive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

erm

well your right they will ALWAYS win the fight but i just can see the point of having a battle standard and another banner -the extra combat res isnt going to help when a treeman is stubborn and putting that many points worth of charecters in one unit no matter what their ward save is for me is to much of a risk eventualy the treeman ancient will break but how long will it take and further more while he is passing these stubborn ld 9 checks my unit is getting closer and closer to under half strength -and that alot of victory points. I think one way to do it however could be to give the battle standard bearer with a non magical standard then give him the "all enemy models within inch are at -1 ld " i will give your idea a try but if it doesnt work i will need more help -let me know what you come up with ,unless that is a treeman ancient is impossible to kill without relying on him to fail a test
    WOOD ELVES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bow of loren and arcane bodkins. This nullifies his ward saves and armor saves plus gives you three shots. HODA... how can you ever go wrong with that?

If you can, give a unit of eternals a highborn or noble with terrors. this will make the terror and fear causing units of your opponent loose their psychological potency. Also equip him with rageth's wildfire blades for more fun.

A wraithstone and war banner will also come in handy, as against a forest spirit army you cannot win with the frail elves. You must BREAK them with combat resolution! Eternals work well with wardancer flank gaurds.

You may gamble your highborn with the spirit sword , just remember to also equip a wraithstone (edited: on another nearby/same unit character). If it works... IT WORKS ! If it doesn't... You might as well concede...

Spellcasting will be your best chance at ridding the treeman in the shortest time. In fact, spellcasting is the best way to go to defeat any unit in this army.

Forests will benefit him more than you because of your huge number of GG. Try for less tree and more hill. That's pretty basic.

Personally? Treeman ancient with cluster of radiants, pageant of shrikes, muster of malevolents and murder of sprites. Fight monster with monster.
    Last edited by AsraiFlame; April 11th, 2007 at 13:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

all those idead seam realy good on paper but the problem is for wood elves to go magic heavy it costs alot of points and i would loose lots of shooting

for me to use arcane bodkins +bow of loren i would need to wound him on 6's same goes for the hail of doom and thats also the problem with wildfire blades

as for using hills that is a great idea and i will not use my free wood in our next battle
    however i like your idea of spirit sword combined maybe with an annoyence of netlings is a good idea to go toe to toe with the treeman.

i have made an army list and i will post it later i just need a solid tactic to improve my chances thanks to asrailflame and misanthrope09 for the advice
    WOOD ELVES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lots of cool ideas there. maybe you should drop your dryads and get some other stuff like more wardancers as he has more dryads than you anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Alter Noble with Helm of the Hunt, LA, Shield, GW. That should hurt some Dryads. Wild Riders are another good unit to have as they are forest spirits and will nullify the Dryads/Treekin Ward Save and as for your answer to the Treeman Ancient I would get a Highborn with the Spirit Sword (it might work). Other then that I'm stocked (LONG DAY AT WORK THAT NEEDS TO END ALREADY) I'll look at the army book tonight and reply tomorrow. Have a good one!
    If anybody disagrees with me Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick you in the face.....not really. But wouldn't it be cool?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Alright, Dr. me is on the case.

First of all, trees usually don't get knocked over very well with arrows. Your list relies on the power of massed arrows, which usually won't take down big guys like treekin in time. Therefore, you should cut some of your waywatchers, glade riders, warhawks, and glade guard for some heavier hitting units.

How are your heroes built? it's obvious with the amount of bound spells your opponent gets you need some magic defense, but why are you taking 2 spellsingers? one should be replaced with a Lvl1 Branchwraith with the cluster of radiants. When it comes to dealing with his dryads, try sending in a lone hero to do the job. As per the skirmisher rules, the dryads will make ranks of 2 behind the 2 front ranked fighting models. This will this make maneuvering hell for the enemy (especially with units of 4 wide treekin). on top of that, your hero will only be taking max 4 attacks (challenges can limit that), which is if they don't inflict a single wound. as long as you have decent gear on your heroes, inflicting 2 wounds shouldn't be a problem.
    On a side note, be sure to take the fimbulwinter shard. it has the potential to cause stupidity in ANY unit in his army, as well as increasing your characters survivability by quite a bit.

To close, you said your VC army was capable of beating his trees. Find out how that list did it, and try to emulate it with
    your WE.

EDIT: Also, take note that he has no shooting in his army aside from the strangleroot attack. you should be able to soften him up a little before combat ensues.

SECOND EDIT: Don't take the waywatcher noble either. they cost more than they're worth, especially against tough guys like treemen and treekin.
    Last edited by arishnakoger; October 17th, 2007 at 23:47.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast