WE vs. Empire and Brets - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

WE vs. Empire and Brets

I have a 2 way match today against an empire and Brets player.

They have kept me in the dark about everything, points and even armys against (i am assuming it is brets and empire, the empire could be VC)

what should i take in a 1k, 1.5k and 2k armys against them... i refuse to take treekin that is the only thing i won;t take, i have the models to have anything.

*i'm scared, knights and cannons and fire oh my*

Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats sort of not fair not telling how many points its going to be, because whatever you get, they get half to make it fair. if hes a standard bret player, be prepared to encounter knights of all types, some peasents and maybe some magic. plus maybe a feild trebuchet. the empire player is going to be hard to devise a strategy, because they got a new codex, and they have lots of selections. This is just me, but the way i think that they are going to play is that the bret has pure horses, and the empire player has a handfull of troops, that shoot, and as many characters (sigmar hammer guys/ damseles) or war machines as possible.

since i cant give a perfect army list, i would recommend this

Lords/ Heroes

Lord: either a treeman ancient with full spite upgrades, or a alter kindred lord with spirit sword, helm of the hunt, and some other stuff. that way, you either have a large beast that is hard to kill, and crumples knights like toilet paper, or have a fast leader that has beast M,I,A, and wounds auto= great against war machines and other tought units, plus there leadership is going to be mostly 1 or 2 less then you, so you have the potential to go to town on them. or if you want to be fancy, get a lord with bow of athel lorien, and arcane bodkins, and alter kindred. that way he moves faster then knights, shoots 5 times, and ignores armor saves= very important against 2+ saves. Or if you want the die valiently approach, put your WE lord on a dragon and watch the sparks fly, as you poison breath, and assault into combat with rediculous amount of attacks. but its very costly, and there is a special vow or weapon that brets have that can killing blow monsters, so watch out. however, he might not probably know that you can have dragons.

Heroes: Battlestandard bearer-equip appropriatly. put him in a unit of wild riders or eternal guard. Branchwraith with blight of terrors. Terror is very good against mild Ld things. spellsinger to counter opponent magic, and try to get ariels blessing. Theres nothing better then a treeman ancient with a 3+, 5++, 4+++ save. makes it immpossible to take down, even with a cannon. watch out for flame cannons though, they will rip you a new one. using fury of the forest, or tree singing will take out knights and infantry. use fury of the forest, on war machines, because they will most likely be close to woods.

Core: as many dryads as possible. skirmish units can charge 360, which is great against knights which are fast. get some glade guard scouts to go right next to his warmachines and take them out as soon as possible. if using the WE lord, get some blocks of Eternal guard to block knights and be solid blocks of infantry that dont run away. can we say Ld 9 stubborn guys.

Special: 1 thing- Wild Riders. These guys will go toe to toe with most knights, crush infantry regiments and smother war machines. add a WE lord to this, give him a spear of twilight or the killing blow spear, and your in buisness. since your not using tree kin, there really isnt much left.

Rare: Waywatchers are a must. they will demolish knights, war machines, and his characters, which cannot get above largeness 3. that way, you can be like "ok 20 shots from waywatchers into your knights. 17 hits, 9 wounds 3 instakills, 2 failed saves= 5 dead knights= they run away. maybe add a great eagle to harass flanks and war machines. add treeman if you can

Things to avoid:

clustering troops: they become cannon fodder and are easily flanked by knights. try to space them out. skirmishing units work wonders here

reacting to your opponents cavalry: dont let the amount of horses frighten you. get a tough unit to take the charge and watch them die in later rounds of combat when there attacks dont get strenght bonuses in combat. watch out for grail knights and other special ones that already have increased strength.

scouts are your friend: use scouts to disrupte his tactics by having them engage war machines early. since your guys can take care of the crewman easily, your opponent will move troops to either protect, or re-instate the cannon or what not. waywatchers should not be used for this task, unless its a must. take out flame cannons as soon as possible, as they will light your forest spirites up, and decimate your troops.

Steamtank: do not take these things lightly, they will rip any army a new one if you dont watch out. i have never played one, so i dont know the rules, use extreme caution and try to aviod it, since its movment is slow, i think

Things to do:

bait and switch: have your eternals be bait. they will hold charges against knights. then have your dryads go in and tear the knights apart.

hidden volley: waywatchers hidden in lots of the woods will suprise your opponent, and make him move away from forests clumping him together, altering his movment capabilities. use this to do lots of damage by flanking him.

Flanking: wild riders do there best here. have them flank your opponents cavalry. this is one of the best counters to his cavalry. then in later rounds of combat, they arent slouches, like reg knights, they get extra attacks.

Big daddy feint: this is the one thing that i love doing in large games. have a treeman ancient flanked by 2 treemen, and have them walk down the field. A) they make the enemy keep there war machines kept on them and move everything to the side, because 3 treemen tear anything apart, and 3 strangleroot attacks will take down even the largest and strongest of units. they are a garagantuan target, and will make your opponent forget about your other troops. trust me, this has worked many times. then when the rest of your army pounces, he will be caught off guard, and that should lead to a victory.

other things: if you can use special characters, then either take orion or the twilight sisters. orion can keep up with knights, has and amazing 5 S 7 attacks, and has a bow that acts like a bolt thrower. the twilight sisters are hard to kill, and they will slow knights down and blow apart warmachine crew and unit formations alike.

unexpected suprise: this is something that i have only pulled off once, giving me victory turn 2 against ogres. use the enchanted item that allows you to be transported to any wood. then use call of the hunt to charge an enemy in the back. i did this against a huge unit of ironguts with 2 maneasters, and a tyrant in the group. hit them in the back with 20 wild riders, and caused them to flee. then procedded to tear them apart. after wards, most of his army panicked, and ran away as well. you get the rest. he was very upset, because he had not lost a match in a year. and it was my 1st game ever. i noticed the potential of that, and it was sweet.

thats about it for now, hope this helps

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I go forest spirit heavy against brets and it works pretty well. Two treemen, 6 treekin, and 16 dryads to do the hitting. Then fast cav to march block, flank, and lots of treesinging to screw up the knights charges. And deploy any archers farther back than usual, maybe 6 or 8 inches in instead of 12 inches. That way you have another round or so to do some shooting before the knights crash into you.

Oh yeah, and watch out for lords with a lance that has killing blow against monsters, like your treemen! That was a nasty surprise for me one day!
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brets and Empire together combine the worst of two worlds, the best knights in the game (choas are actually better but the lance can not be ignored) and the best gun line (just barely beating dwarves)
    My suggestion is go cav heavy as heavy as possible, Your cav can out run his and since it is fast cav you can run circles around him no matter what he brings. Two if he does bring out the big guns in the empire you can make it 48 inches by turn two including your initial set up.
    Last piece of advice. Set up as many woods as you can it is the bane to his existence and the best thing for you. The more forests you place the better you will be. The forest will slow his knights and block line of sight.
    Never charge alone always have two to three units hitting the same target if you can help it. Wildriders cause fear on the charge and your opponent will flee automatically if you outnumber him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

thanks for your help guys. i managed to hold them to a draw. Since it was 2 of them they we're stumbling over each other while my treeman ripped apart the empire gun line and kept blocking the knights with forests.

I forgot to write notes so no battle report. sorry
    Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

+ Reply to Thread