Thinking of starting, possibly? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Thinking of starting, possibly?

After talking with someone last night about fantasy, I looked through the various Fantasy Armies stopping at wood elves, I don't like the dryads or any of the tree models, if possible I'd just like to think about building an army with only regular wood elves in it.

I don't have a codex yet so mind you this right now is just based on models, which by the way if I don't like the models or the HQ/Lord or Hero I have issues playing the army.

Anyway here are the models that I like and that I'd use, now could I build a properly functioning army with just these models?

Wood Elf Spellsingers
    Wood Elf Waywatcher Lord
    Wood Elf Glade Guard
    Wood Elf Eternal Guard
    Wood Elf Wardancers
    Wood Elf Waywatchers

Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

A lengthy discussion on an asrai list just wrapped up over in the army list section of this forum (click here (2250 Tournament/Friendly Asrai)).

An asrai army on foot, such as would be built using the models you outlined, would be very tricky to pull off, but probably can be done. The complete lack of forest spirits and cavalry will be a hindrance. Wood elves rely on fores spirits to provide some much needed strength to the army. Also, if you want to use Eternal Guard, you'll need more than a waywatcher noble (sure, you can use the waywatcher noble to reresent something else, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a BS.

In short, I think it would be a challenge, but it can probably be done. Look around the forum for a bit and you'll find a bunch of useful info on most of these units.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

bsb
    ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x3)

BSB = Battle Standard Bearer

What do you think of the Nobel with a Great Weapon? I think he may be the best model GW has put out yet (cuz he looks cool). LINK This guy would be a great highborne with Rhymer's Harp that could also accompany the Eternal Guard.

Also, IIRC, the Waywatcher Nobel was a promotional item, and was only sold for a short period of time.

Welcome to the Woods :ninja:
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Blade View Post
    , IIRC, the Waywatcher Nobel was a promotional item, and was only sold for a short period of time.
    Is this true? I know it's still for sale on the website (link), and it isn't listed as direct only.

Sorry for being unclear about the battle standard bearer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

82 (x3)

I think you're right misanthrope09, it just doesn't show up in the Canadian Online Store... which means GW's got to get their website fixed. (I also noticed the lack of Wardancer Nobel in the Canadian OS, and I know they're still in production)
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Dryads? I wouldn't imagine it. They are just too important, that and Wildriders do alot for the army. Both are the major close combat units. Besides I think that its more fluffy to have more balanced list.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

No Dryads? I wouldn't imagine it. They are just too important, that and Wildriders do alot for the army. Both are the major close combat units. Besides I think that its more fluffy to have more balanced list.
    After reading through the tactica I find the Asrai army a better suit for me, additionally tree people before this were never very high on my list, Elves yes, the people who stuck around until they became trees no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got the fluff completely wrong, Wildriders simply extension of Orion, not people that stayed around for a long time and became "faeries". But anyways, Asari list would be tough (I say impossible without its power houses) but if thats your playing style go for it. Don't be surprise if you don't win often 'cause you lack the strong CC support and those that can flank.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

You got the fluff completely wrong, Wildriders simply extension of Orion, not people that stayed around for a long time and became "faeries". But anyways, Asari list would be tough (I say impossible without its power houses) but if thats your playing style go for it. Don't be surprise if you don't win often 'cause you lack the strong CC support and those that can flank.
    If you read my first post where I said I don't have the codex yet then you'd see that I don't know the fluff of the Wood Elves, all I said is that I've read the tactics on the GW site. Never said I would exclude flanking units, the fact that the calvary were in with your post is just a side affect.

Additionally:

After reading through the tactica I find the Asrai army a better suit for me, additionally tree people before this were never very high on my list, Elves yes, the people who stuck around until they became trees no.
    This is not talking about wildriders or glade riders, of which I'm still not sure whether or not will be in my army yet, this was talking about the tree people.

Reason my head is ignoring the horsemen is because I don't like the way the horsemen/elves look and I better like the infantry, not to say that I won't build a strategic list with close combat elements and ranged elements. But in some ways I do like to have a challenge when I play an army.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast